Another shuttle flight scrubbed by Mother Nature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another shuttle flight scrubbed by Mother Nature

The shuttle launch last night was scrubbed due to weather, yet again. Another attempt will be tried tomorrow.

Watch the last few launches and treasure them if you can folks. Soon there will be no more of the type, and all launches will be (ho-hum) standard rockets and capsules....

No more mach-25 space planes planned for a LONNNNGG time (possibly no more during our lifetimes). They are simply too expensive to fly, maintain and turn around for the next flight with current technology.

Capsules save money, even when not re-usable.

Re: Another shuttle flight scrubbed by Mother Nature

I know everyone's mind is on the races right now, but I just wanted to update this thread:

The world's fastest glider made a BEAUTIFULLY smooth landing yesterday at Edwards, and video is available for viewing.

The vapor-streamers coming off the wingtips while turning onto final add some visual appeal, as if the Orbiter was performing in an airshow using tip smoke devices...

...And the twin booms heard as it passes overhead and drops below supersonic speeds are also noteworthy...

CLICK HERE to view the landing...

-->(Be sure to select the HQ button once the video starts for best viewing.)

Comment

Great video. Always inspiring to see no matter how many time you see it.
      Don

Hauler Driver Looking for a Hauler to Drive ..
      Any Race Team Need One?

Comment

Sonic Booms pretty cool!

Curt

Comment

They are a marvel of technology. While working the return to flight program after Columbia I had the honor and priveledge of working on all of the remaining SRB Aft skirts remaining in the inventory. I've walked the payload bay of Discovery and passed through the ISS docking collar on Endeavor. The shuttles will always hold a special place in my heart!! I am proud to say that I will still be involved in a technical support capacity for the refurbishment on the Orion replacement vehicle.

Comment

Wow, I envy you. Soon there will be no winged orbital spacecraft making beautiful approaches anymore, just "pods n' parachutes" doing the ballistic thing, and I wonder if/when one may fly again.

Probably not in my lifetime. All the civilian-made winged spacecraft being developed today are sub-orbital, and the BIG GUYS keep canceling promising programs like the X-33, X-37, X-38, etc...

Comment

Working...
            X