News From The Bear Cave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News From The Bear Cave

I got an email from Rare Bear Team Manager, Alby Redick with the straight up on the Bear...

"I don't post on Websites, but I have heard some scuttlebutt from fans that have stopped by the Bear Cave in the past few days, and I wanted to reply to some of the comments I heard about, or better yet, just give the fans a status report.. We are working on converting September Fury's engine with our Bear nosecase on it right now. The engine looks good, and has some good run-in hours on it, screens are clean and we are confident we can run the power we need. We've completed a number of mods that will help us to see the manifold pressure and temps we want to see, our telemetry is working flawlessly, so we can monitor the Bear closely, prop has been tweaked, and the inlet changes and venting system is aerodynamically optimized. The paint was completed by a local Reno hot rodder, Eric Collins, and the Bear has been smoothed, and is as clean as we can make it. We will be sporting a few race mods incorporated by Dave Cornell, that should add a few knots and we've lost some weight. The nitrous system is purged and ready. All in all we are confident in making the Race with the Bear in great race condition. To the race fans, thanks for your support and we'll see you at the Races! "
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: News From The Bear Cave

Doesn't 232 already have a slow nose case? Then why the stocker on it's way from Anderson?
    Red
    chanting...400+

Comment

Further question:
      Is that 232 motor setup highly desirable to them?

Or is this a matter of "run what ya brung", and that 232 setup is more or less equal to previous setups?

Answer is probably "some of both" I suspect.
      Tom Johnson,
      Aviation Insurance Broker / Yak 50 Owner
      www.airpowerinsurance.com

Comment

What do they mean by the nitrous system is purged?

Its empty so now they can fill it up and use it again?

Its empty now so they dont have to worry about the old nitrous in there causing problems?

I know they have not run with nitrous in a long time, it would be exciting to know it was back as a usable tool....

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
          What do they mean by the nitrous system is purged?

Its empty so now they can fill it up and use it again?

Its empty now so they dont have to worry about the old nitrous in there causing problems?

I know they have not run with nitrous in a long time, it would be exciting to know it was back as a usable tool....
          I could be remembering wrong, but I think "purging nitrous system" means you've purged anything other than nitrous out of your gas lines...

I think, Alby was just sayin' "we're ready" in not so many words....
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I was out at Stead looks like there doing a lot of work Shawn

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Aro View Post
              I was out at Stead looks like there doing a lot of work Shawn
              Gonna ask you guys a favor, on behalf of the team.. Please, if you are in the area and stop by to chat, remember a few things.. the team member you are chatting with is chatting with you and not working on the airplane. The team has a "gag order" on them, meaning, they are not supposed to be telling any of us anything... if you want to get anyone on the team in trouble, take pictures and post them, and repeat what anyone tells you, here or elsewhere on the net..

The Bear team has to work more in the open than just about anyone else, part of most serious race efforts involves a certain level of secrecy in planning their race week strategy. Please help them achieve this by respecting their wishes, keep the speculation, particularly the "informed speculation" down to an extremely dull roar.

If all goes well for them, The Rare Bear Team will unveil their plan on Gold Sunday afternoon, right after the last lap in the Gold Finals...

Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Oh Wayne, relax. If we can't talk to the fans this ain't worth doing.

Comment

Originally posted by BadIdea View Post
                  Oh Wayne, relax. If we can't talk to the fans this ain't worth doing.
                  Kay... just make sure you name Don as the source....

Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Absolutely, I speak the truth and stand by what I say. There are a bunch of hard working guys here and I am proud of every last one of them.

Comment

I hope she'll be coming down the chute Friday !!!

bradfire
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by bkmeo; 08-23-2009, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                        I could be remembering wrong, but I think "purging nitrous system" means you've purged anything other than nitrous out of your gas lines...

I think, Alby was just sayin' "we're ready" in not so many words....
                        Wayne you are correct about purging. You typically "purge" the system right before running to remove any air that was trapped from changing the bottles and to correct bottle pressure to your desired operating pressure.

The purge valve/solenoid is usually located close to the nozzles to allow you to purge air as close to the business end as possible.

Hope this helps with the confusion and yes it means they are read to rock.

Comment

Why would they do any of this is they have not run nitrous for years?

Comment

Originally posted by bkmeo View Post
                            I hope she'll be coming down the chute Friday !!!

bradfire
                            ....and for SUNDAY GOLD!

Comment

So is the engine actually on the bear or are they just doing testing in the shop? I thought i read in other posts that the 232 engine would not fit in the bear given the firewall was different or something to that effect. Do not get me wrong I am glad they are getting things together, but I was under the impression that it would be a major undertaking to make this happen. Not trying to rain on the good news, just trying to understand the process.

Comment

Working...
                              X