Re: US pilot killed at World Aerobatics Championships in UK

Vicky Cruise (sp)

Comment

That's what I heard. Sad.
      F1 Race 98 & 99

Comment

I don't have a program handy. What class did she race in?

Don

Comment

She wasnt racing she was in the Womans US Aerobatic Team. Competed in unlimited and probably freestyle. She was the IAC President and damn good one. She will be missed
          CFI/CFII/MEI
          www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
          www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

Originally posted by hattend View Post
            I don't have a program handy. What class did she race in?

Don
            She was at PRS in June.
            F1 Race 98 & 99

Comment

Originally posted by Inverted View Post
              She wasnt racing she was in the Womans US Aerobatic Team. Competed in unlimited and probably freestyle. She was the IAC President and damn good one. She will be missed

The article said she was qualified to fly at Reno. I must have misunderstood.

Thanks
              Don

Comment

Originally posted by jhall@jetav.com View Post
                She was at PRS in June.
                Ah.. That might explain my misunderstanding. She was at PRS but didn't actually race.

Thanks
                Don

Comment

Sorry I forgot she did qualify in a glasair III if I remember correctly. I just saw flying it at a mock sport class race at Marysville.
                  CFI/CFII/MEI
                  www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
                  www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

Originally posted by Double ugly View Post
                    Vicky Cruise (sp)
                    Vicki Cruse

Comment

according to wwwairrace.org she raced in 2003 and 2006 in the sport class
                      Todd Smith

Comment

Vicki Cruse, the 2007 US national aerobatic champion and president of the International Aerobatic Commission was lost yesterday in a practice session for the International Unlimited Aerobatic Championships due to an apparent mechanical failure. Vicki was one of the "short listed" drivers for the Fossett LSR and attended our 3/08 El Mirage test session. She landed on the lakebed in her Zivko Edge-540 and her departure demonstrated the extreme maneuverability that made her qualified for the ALSR.

Vicki was one of the good ones: A pilot that every one she met was happy to work for, highly skilled, a professional in every sense of the word, and a very nice person. I knew her and admired her to the extent that I had worked with her, I'm sad to say that I never got to know her personally and pursue many of the aerospace projects that we talked about beyond the LSR. She will be sorely missed by all who knew her.
                        Eric Ahlstrom

Comment

How does someone get on the short list to drive a car for a bazillionaire and attempt a land speed record (LSR)??

Comment

Originally posted by shorebird View Post
                            How does someone get on the short list to drive a car for a bazillionaire and attempt a land speed record (LSR)??
                            1. "bazillionare", no. Successful, yes; but Steve Fossett was worth far less than most owners and attendees at the races. He also made his money himself and didn't inherit it. He was one of the nicest people it has ever been my priveledge to work for.

2. Vicki was on the short list because she was qualified (2007 US Unlimited Aerobatic Champion), and she was short enough to fit the restrictive cockpit we had. Was the cockpit too small to be safe for Breedlove, Fossett, and some of our test personnel? Yes. And once I had the freedom to dictate driver size for safety, I did so.

Vicki was an extraordinary person. I urge anyone interested in commenting on this subject to research her background first.
                            Eric Ahlstrom

Comment

Some of the nicest people I know inherited their money.

Comment

Working...
                              X