Dave Morss and "Polar Bear"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Morss and "Polar Bear"

Now that "Wildfire" isn't going to make it this year, i see that on the revised entry list Dave has entered the P-51a "Polar Bear" instead. This is AWESOME! To see such a rare bird turning the pylons with the P-40e of John Maloney, the P-40n of John Paul, the F4U-4 of Doug Matthews, the FM-2 of Tom Camp, and the T-28b of Bruce Wallace is going to be quite a treat! Thank you gentlemen for entering such rare and prized possessions, allowing us to witness such a momentous occasion as this! The bronze class this year is going to be quite EXCELLENT!!! Get your cameras ready!
    "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Re: Dave Morss and "Polar Bear"

AGREED! While the race speeds may not be very fast this year, the opportunity to see all these rare warbirds rounding the pylons is going to be a special treat!

Comment

While I agree with the idea of getting the camera ready and that it will be a treat to see these airplanes in the air, I just can't say that I think that this is a great thing for the Bronze Class.

There have been criticisms in the past about anything that wasn't pure racing. I've read many posts about how acts like the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels mess up the races and the Red Bull races didn't belong. A P51A, 2 P40's, a Corsair, a Wildcat, and a Trojan would make a good air show at Chino or the CAF, but the use of the word "race" to describe this event may be generous. I remember when Pardue was racing for a Bronze win in his Bearcat. I can't see this as a good sign for the races. Cool planes, but actually racing....I just don't know.

Comment

Before anyone goes and says all the stocker slow planes aren't racing, lets stop and think about it. Yes they are out on course, and no they won't be doing even 400 mph, but they will be there rounding the pylons and putting on a show so everyone can watch. I'd almost say that having the P40s, Corsair, Wildcat and the T28 out is more like a throw back to the beginnings of air racing. The bronze race might be the most entertaining race of the weekend just because it will have so many uncommon racers in it. I think for these guys its not so much about winning anything but more about having fun and looking good while they are at it. I'd almost say its like a vintage car race. Where else can you go to see those planes battling it out?

I'd praise these guys for coming out and showing off there toys.

Will

Comment

Yes despite real competition going on, the bronze race has almost always seemed like an exhibition race to me at times. Few are going to push their stock machines to the breaking point just to win like you see in so many gold races.

But that's never bothered me. It's a great chance to see these rare UNMODIFIED warbirds up close, some I thought I'd never see personally before I started attending the event.

I doubt Lefty ever thought his P-38 would win, but he was out there just the same having the time of his life, and I thank him for that (and the other warbird pilots too). Bob Yancy in his Corsair, Pardue and his stock bear, and so on.

Really racing? Who cares? Bring 'em on! We still have other classes for some real racing action. As long as they're flying and not gathering dust in some museum, I'm all for it.

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 08-16-2009, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Saving your ride...

Hummn.. I used to have a fairly nice 914, joined the Porche Club so I could get out on PIR for PCA Track Days.. thirty bucks, a safety inspection, don a helmet and play. Promised myself that I'd not abuse my pretty nice, not so expensive, relatively, Porche that I drove daily....

Yea.. right!

As soon as you get anyone with anything on a race course, I don't care if it's a club track day where passing anywhere but the area on the straight separated by cones... hell with being easy on your equipment!

Frankly, I have to wonder what the guys who bring these airplanes to RENO, pay all the bux to get them in the show, go through all the effort to do it.. I gotta wonder, how does a thread like this make them feel?

Maybe they should just stay home so we can only watch "real racers?"

You guys know, I try ever so hard to be the peacemaker here, not to stir the pot, I'm sorry, this one just got my goat....

Just sayin....
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

As a firend of mine once said, "Demo racing is like pushing chain; the back will always catch up with the front unless the front pushes itself."
              Last edited by Skyracer; 08-16-2009, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Re: Saving your ride...

[QUOTE=AAFO_WSagar

Frankly, I have to wonder what the guys who bring these airplanes to RENO, pay all the bux to get them in the show, go through all the effort to do it.. I gotta wonder, how does a thread like this make them feel?

Maybe they should just stay home so we can only watch "real racers?"

You guys know, I try ever so hard to be the peacemaker here, not to stir the pot, I'm sorry, this one just got my goat....

Just sayin....[/QUOTE]

People think we're not real racers??? We just bought 5 gallons of Twinkle "Turd Polish" to get some more speed out of the Air Biscuit.

We even consulted with Kerch to see what speed mods we could do to Race 2 to get some more speed. He said the best way to get more speed was to buy a Bearcat.
                Last edited by Guest; 08-17-2009, 08:32 AM.

Comment

anyone who thinks there isnt racing in the bronze isnt paying attention.Yes this applies to all bronze classes its where people make changes and see results. The yak I qualified at 320 in its first show, after 4 years went 360. the cost of mods was about as much as buying the plane. Ive flown polar bear at air shows for 10 years never a squawk. We have only had maint after each reno. Both times after reno required a new engine$$$ Im not saying every plane in the bronze pushes it but there is a lot of racing for those that get it. Remember racing takes place in the hangar all year, what you witness at reno every sept is just the results of the work.(ive often said at this level if everyone changed planes the same plane would win) Very few gold racers get much improvement percent wise year to year but look at numbers in the bronze class and youll be surprised where big gains are made.Of course often this moves you up and then the gains get few and far between
                  dave
                  www.davemorss.com

Comment

Thanks for piping in Dave! I know i speak for many others as well when i say THANK YOU for bringing yourself and the planes to Reno, so that we all can enjoy those magnificent machines, and the pilots that fly them! I understand the significance of what a rare sight it really is, and it is greatly appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe View Post
                      While I agree with the idea of getting the camera ready and that it will be a treat to see these airplanes in the air, I just can't say that I think that this is a great thing for the Bronze Class.

There have been criticisms in the past about anything that wasn't pure racing. I've read many posts about how acts like the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels mess up the races and the Red Bull races didn't belong. A P51A, 2 P40's, a Corsair, a Wildcat, and a Trojan would make a good air show at Chino or the CAF, but the use of the word "race" to describe this event may be generous. I remember when Pardue was racing for a Bronze win in his Bearcat. I can't see this as a good sign for the races. Cool planes, but actually racing....I just don't know.
                      Just wondering if you are going to recind this post or what. I have posted a few comments that weren't overly bright and wished I had thought them through a little better afterwards. This might be a good time to rethink that one. It is quite frankly a little offensive.

IMO this is great for the bronze class.
                      You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Maybe @ 77 I shouldn't bother going to Reno & see, touch & hear all those beautiful planes(never happen). Well after I'm gone I'll still be looking down & be there in spirit. So thanks to all that bring their planes & fly them for all to see & hear. Yes I think an apology is in order for not giving credit to the Bronze pilots & planes. Watch Nascar as most of the top drivers started in go-carts.
                        Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by t-dub View Post
                          Now that "Wildfire" isn't going to make it this year, i see that on the revised entry list Dave has entered the P-51a "Polar Bear" instead. This is AWESOME! To see such a rare bird turning the pylons with the P-40e of John Maloney, the P-40n of John Paul, the F4U-4 of Doug Matthews, the FM-2 of Tom Camp, and the T-28b of Bruce Wallace is going to be quite a treat! Thank you gentlemen for entering such rare and prized possessions, allowing us to witness such a momentous occasion as this! The bronze class this year is going to be quite EXCELLENT!!! Get your cameras ready!
                          YOU BETCHA, t-dub!!! Now maybe if we could somehow also squeeze-in GLACIER GIRL, and an anxious P-63 King Cobra into the Bronze lineup as well...

DBD

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyD View Post
                            YOU BETCHA, t-dub!!! Now maybe if we could somehow also squeeze-in GLACIER GIRL, and an anxious P-63 King Cobra into the Bronze lineup as well...

DBD
                            Hell ya!
                            You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyD View Post

DBD
                              YEEESSS!!! Now yer talkin!

Comment

Working...
                              X