No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Will Whiteside,
    just want to know what´s going on with Steadfast. Were the R2000 engine modifications done? Propeller? Did it clocked 400 mph in a course?
    So many questions...from a fan, but If you cannot tell I will understand.
    Thank you Will in advance.

Re: 400

First let me say thanks for asking.
    To answer your questions which dont involve any secret info by the way I will start with a quick recap of our speeds from last year. We initially qualified with a reduced power setting from previous years. We were about 4-5 inches down on Manifold Pressure (MP)due to a leak in the connection between the inlet on top of the nose to the carb. We ran 382 MPH on that attempt then changed prop to Tracker based blades and didnt better the speeds. On Sunday we were timed at 396 around the course and due to a few minor issues, I think we could have 5-8 MPH more speed left on last years setup.

For this year, we hope a new prop is in the cards although Reno is looming. We couldn't find the funding to build a race engine this year but we have a promise to try to do that for next year.
    We have plans to reduce the oil cooler inlet air and to electrically close the oil cooler doors while cooling with water spraybar.
    We need to keep the gear up and tight to the wing which is huge problem when you race a Yak. Our gear hang a little bit which is probably 5+ MPH at high indicated or more! We have bettered the airflow through the cowling so we can expect speed increase from that of a MPH or two. We also have revamped the airflow into the carb. I think we will see a MP increase of about 2" so we will be up on power as well this year.
    I suspect that if the gear stays up, if the new prop happens, if we get full power, we should see about 405 MPH in qualifying.
    We are already going faster than any other little engine Yak in Reno racing history. Cool huh?
    WW

Comment

Sorry to hear about the race engine, but sounds like you did a few other things to achieve the 400 goal. Wish ya the best and see ya in arrr, 34 days or so. Dang it why can't it September come soon enough?

You going to be in the air show this weekend? Thinking of heading down, if I do will stop by. Want to bug you about working in your pits anyways given that seemed like the place to be last year

Comment

Will, Thanks for the update on the Little Yak that Can
        and good luck at reno with both the yak and with voodoo

Comment

I´m very sad to read about the selling of SteadFast.

Comment

Working...
          X