FSX Virtual Air Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSX Virtual Air Racing

Does anyone out there have Microsoft FSX? They have Stead all set up with pylons. I'm looking to see if there's any interest in a virtual air race. I'd be happy to host it. Just let me know if you would like to participate and we'll come up with a date and time for it to happen. I'd be working the ATC, you'd be doing all the racing! let me know if anyone is interested.

Race 29
    Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Re: FSX Virtual Air Racing

Yeah, I do have FSX. I might be interested in doing that if we can get some more people.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I've got it...had for a quite a while now. There's actually a very sweet L-39 that was just released. http://www.lotussim.com/

LP

Comment

Originally posted by Race 29 View Post
        Does anyone out there have Microsoft FSX? They have Stead all set up with pylons. I'm looking to see if there's any interest in a virtual air race. I'd be happy to host it. Just let me know if you would like to participate and we'll come up with a date and time for it to happen. I'd be working the ATC, you'd be doing all the racing! let me know if anyone is interested.

Race 29
        Sounds cool! I wish the pylons had more cars around them , Its
        pretty sparse without the green arrows. -G-:

Comment

Got it about a week ago... need to master the engine management..and get the views to snap instead of pan...gives me a headache. But, I'd give it a go.

Warren

Comment

Originally posted by glenplane View Post
            Sounds cool! I wish the pylons had more cars around them , Its
            pretty sparse without the green arrows. -G-:
            Many of MS's previous flight sims had available software that allowed one to create their own scenery. I imagine this one does too.

Perhaps someone with the skills and desire can make some models to simulate Stead-scenery in September (bleachers, hangars, static military and and pit aircraft, etc.)

Don't have FSX myself.
            Last edited by AirDOGGe; 08-09-2009, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Race 29 View Post

Race 29
              I'd love to do an FSX race with you. Also, if you have FS2004, there is a group that does air racing called PROPS racing. http://www.westcoastatc.com/props/props.shtml

Comment

I have it as well.

Ryan what's up ya'll ready to race?
                Last edited by wyhdah; 08-10-2009, 12:07 PM.

Comment

I've done a bunch of races in IEN's "warbirds" massively multiplayer combat flight simulator.

A straight up race ends up very boring in that everybody but the winner just watches a dot get smaller and smaller until he is lapped.

These guys refined it to a very fun event.

Having a race longer than the fuel load on some planes injects some strategy in whether you want to land and re-fuel or take a drop tank (with induced drag penalty) or even choose a slower plane that might make the entire race without refueling or drop tank.

Other strategy involves whether you want to climb where your groudspeed will be much higher.....at the penalty of your low groundspeed while climbing.
                  Last edited by IcePaq; 08-10-2009, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Awesome! So it looks like we'd have enough people to at least give it a try. FSX does hae some good Reno scenery if you play the racing practice. I'll try to figure out how to get that into the online multiplayer mode. Without pylon judges, I don't know how we'll score the pylon cuts, so it will have to be on the "honor system", and really just for fun. If you haven't played in the multiplayer mode, you might want to sign up for Gamespy and try it out, it's free. There's just not enough Mustangs! I would say Bearcats, Sea Furys, P-38's etc. but the Acceleration pack only has mustangs and if you are in a Bearcat, and everyone else doesn't have the same airplane as you, you'll just look like a Mustang to them. When you sign up for Gamespy, try to use the same moniker you do here on AAFO so we know who you are.

Ok, next question would be: What is a good time to do this? Weekends? Week nights? What are your suggestions? I might try to host a practice session one night this week and post when I'll be on. anyone up for that?

Race 29

Comment

The FSX race program scores pylon cuts automatically, and those Acceleration Mustangs are so fast, that it really is unfair to fly anything else. BTW, I call Cloud Dancer.

Comment

A lot of FSX multiplayer pilots use FSHostClient as the interface and forget about GameSpy.

If you still fly FS2004, come try PROPS Racing. Thanks for the shout-out, Ryan!

We have automated scoring and pace planes. Also, 5 classes at 8 airports.
                        PROPS also holds Cross Country races that go round-trip over about an hour long in several great locations. There is also a validation procedure to insure no one has 'souped-up' their airfile.

It's a damn shame more guys that race with us don't have fast enough computers to run the very detailed FSX or we would have organized races in FSX, too.

I got a good run last week and beat our best pilots in a seven lap final. See link....(this info will only be posted thru tomorrow. Once we begin a new race, the link will always show the last heat raced. So, the results will vary depending on when you look.) Our timing goes to SIX decimal places, only three is seen on the scoring. http://64.119.37.58/validate?op=show_race_results

One of the worst problems with online racing was solved by PROPS and that is synching up everyones planes. Internet speed and lag is a big problem. We were approached by the team that created FSX Acceleration for tips and help but, since everything was proprietary, our hands were tied. I still beleive PROPS has this advantage over any other racing format online.

Gary 'Freebird'
                        PROPS Race Director

Comment

Anybody wanna fly right now on the local network one. Not the Gamespy. If u wanna just go on right now and join my session.
                          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Gary,
                            You ARE the man when it comes to online air racing. You run a way more professional approach, I have to agree on that. The FSX racing is just an easy way for me to turn some pylons. I was wondering why you hadn't switched over to FSX since almost everything is already there. Now I know why. and hey, they got it from you! I'm not trying to take anything away from PROPS at all. I was just flying online one night and had an idea. I still think it would be a great way for some of us to fly the course.

I got dibs on Hoovers plane since I'll be ATC and safety!!

Still up for grabs is Voodoo, Risky Business, and three original paints. I've also got Merlin's Magic loaded up on my computer.

Race 29

Comment

Thanks a million for the kind words and BOY do I wish I could organize a PROPS/FSX racing series! Have you raced with us? I can't place a name with your login. Sure would be glad to meet you....if we haven't already!

I wanted to build a new 'puter last winter and got laid off so, you know the rest! Seems a roof and chow is the priority. Just like my plans to get a PPL went south...

Ryan will be tough to beat and I'd like to hear the results of your fun with the FSX duels.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X