Mach 2 without a canopy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mach 2 without a canopy?

Latest popular science article about Russians going twice the speed of sound in an OPEN COCKPIT. Is that even possible?

Article link:
    The spectacular picture above was (reportedly) shot high above the set of a movie. Producers for an unknown movie paid a couple of Russian pilots to fly their SU-35UB jet at speeds past Mach 2.0... without a canopy! After the flight, the pilot said, "While on this speed I even managed to pull out my fingers in glove for an inch or two outside - it became heated very fast because of immense friction force plane undergoes with the air."

Here's the article text, in case it ever gets pulled. Note that the POP SCI site also has a couple of photos.

The spectacular picture above was (reportedly) shot high above the set of a movie. Producers for an unknown movie paid a couple of Russian pilots to fly their SU-35UB jet at speeds past Mach 2.0... without a canopy! After the flight, the pilot said, "While on this speed I even managed to pull out my fingers in glove for an inch or two outside - it became heated very fast because of immense friction force plane undergoes with the air."

The script also required one of the pilots to eject from the cockpit, as seen below.

Whatever movie this ends up being part of, I’d buy my ticket now if I could. I hope it’s in 3-D.
    Last edited by AirDOGGe; 08-08-2009, 10:29 PM.

all briught to you by....

the miracle of CGI and a smattering of photoshop!

Comment

Re: Mach 2 without a canopy?

This is the movie

Check out the trailer on the videos page!

I interviewed the author of the story here

I think the movies gonna be really cool!
      Evan
      http://evanflys.com/

Comment

Re: all briught to you by....

Originally posted by JET1 View Post
        the miracle of CGI and a smattering of photoshop!
        I don't think so...Not this time.

It wouldn't be hard to manually remove a canopy and fly open cockpit sub-sonically to shoot footage of it in that state.

It's the mach-2 claim I wonder about. Why? Nobody watching the movie can tell how fast you are going in most shots. Why the requirement for a double-supersonic flight?

Comment

Re: Mach 2 without a canopy?

It's already been debunked. It's only partially real.

Comment

Working...
          X