Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rare Bear: Diggin for Gold - Silver - Copper!!??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare Bear: Diggin for Gold - Silver - Copper!!??

I don't know how many of you will actually read the "caption" for this "week's" POTW but.. just in case you don't..

The guys who have dug (very deeply) into their personal free time to bring the Bear to where she is now, are also digging into their own pockets to make this happen.

If you've ever worked on your own car, or even done a home improvement project, you'll know about all the little "nickel and dime" things that always seem to come up. Be it a gaskett, a washer, some fastners.. wax.. wire.. plywood.. that wrench you just broke.. WHATEVER!

These guys/gals are working on that Bear like it's not been worked on in years, most of them twice a week, out at Stead. They are leaving no chip of paint unbuffed, no wire out of place.. In short, they are digging deep into the airplane to bring her to not only what she once was.. these people are digging through that airplane and making her what she always should have been..

The point of this message is this.. It's not fair to these guys when many of us sit here wondering how she'll look come September. The Rare Bear Air Race team at this time last year were all just like you and me.. FANS.. sitting back wondering how it would all come out.

A bunch of Airline Mechanics got together and picked up the ball and are running with it big time out there at Stead and I'm just amazed at what they are accomplishing with that airplane.

Both John Penney and Lyle Shelton are tickled at their performance and dedication.. and make that a BIG DEDICATION!

I'm pleading with all of you who read this. Go to http://www.rarebear.com/ click on the "Rare Bear Wear" link, click through to the store program, then click on the "Fan Sponsor" section... A big "no picture" thing will come up on a new "product".. click on it and you'll be taken to a page where you can contribute from $1.00 to as many as you can eek out by adding to the quantity of the "item"..

Don't sit back and think that your $5.00 will not help.. Or your $10.00 or whatever you can afford to give these guys..

This is the most GRASS ROOTS effort that we've ever seen in this sport. Lyle's retired and far from wealthy, he could sell that airplane and sit back much more comfortable than he's been in years.. But that man has race fuel for blood and neither he nor John or any of the team are ready to see that happen.

They are so close! But on a daily basis, these RACE FANS who are giving of themselves to make this happen just need our help so badly right now.. we can't sit back and not beat the toolbox and speak for them where they will not speak for themselves.

The hat is in the hand folks.. PLEASE head over to http://www.rarebear.com/ and throw a buck or three or twenty into that hat..

If you want something to show for your efffort, there are a lot of really neat things to take with you from there as well..

Let's all be able to sit back this September and as we watch John, Lyle and the team putting the airplane through her paces and be able to say to ourselves.. "I HELPED!"

The ball is in our court RACE FANS! FAN TO FAN.. let's help!!

Wayne Sagar
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Thanks Wayne

Thanks Wayne for the kind words. Great things are coming for the Bear! The whole crew is cranking out an immense amount of work on the Bear right now. I think everyone is going to be really surprised when we unveil this baby in the spring. We still have a long way to go, but were getting there.
    Our first goal was to get the Bear flying again. Now that that is done, now our goal is to get her back to being a legitimate Gold Race contender again. Not second, not third, but first! Were playing to win! With the excellent plane, pilot and crew that Dago Red has, it's going to take everything we have to beat them if they are in top form. But we are up for the task and are committed to doing everything we can to get the Bear kickin ass over Reno once again.
    Luckily, we have the experience of Bill Hickle, Greg Shaw, Mel Gregorie, John Slack and others to draw upon. With out they're help, we could run, but we really wouldn't be competitve. Theyr'e the ones who know how to squeeze all the ponies out of this baby, know the quirks of the plane, what works, what hasn't worked in the past, etc. Thank them if you see them for they're continued support.
    On the sponsorship front, were getting various new sponsors as we go along. So far mostly product and services, which is GREAT, but in the end were also going to need CASH! Every buck here and there really does help. Our insurance is our biggest hurdle to overcome, now that the engine is on and healthy. I know everyone's probably tired of hearing about our lack of funds, but we really do need the assistance. There are plenty of Mustangs and Sea Fury's out there on the ramp, but no Bearcat's! Help us to mix things up a bit this year at the Reno Air Races! Any help is deeply appreciated. It would be a shame to have come this far and fall short of our goal.
    Stacy Thomas

Comment

I wish I could see the airplane in person, it really, really looks nice. I fly radio control aircraft and am thinking about building a model. Hope to meet you guys sometime. I really admire what you guys do with aircraft

Comment

Hey Futurepilot45: If you want a really nice RC version of the Bear, check out Ryan Aircraft's F8F series. They are electric powered, speed 400 sized models. Outstanding flyers. See:
        http://home.fuse.net/ryan/ Peas
        Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
        World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Working...
        X