FIREFLY FLYPAST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIREFLY FLYPAST

One of many highlights of attending last May's great Chino POF Airshow for me was seeing Capt. Eddie Kurdziel's impressive Fairey Firefly AS-6 in action (after a 'tease' of it at Reno NCAR in static display).

Eddie really knows how to show off his pretty bird well, and he's obviously quite proud of his fine restoration (& should be).

Also, hearing that distinctive Rolls-Royce Griffon 'growl' again, reminded me how much I miss the Griffon-powered air racers at Reno.

This airplane is exciting to watch - both on the ground taxiing & in the air. The Firefly looks so- 'DASHING' (& so- "Veddy-veddy- 'B-R-I-T-I-S-H', I must say!")

Here's a shot from Saturday 5-16-09...

DBD
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BuckyD; 08-05-2009, 08:42 AM.

Re: FIREFLY FLYPAST

Great Pic Bucky...

The Griffon always sounded angry.... although for an angry sound, late model Me 109's with the DB605 have a pretty angry growl too... i will always remember the DB sound after warbirds over wanaka in 1996 when the star fighter was a me 109G10 brought over from the UK for the show.. with the supercharger scream and the growl, it was almost demonic..
    race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

I miss 'em too Bucky, POF has been such a good display of airplanes in recent years.....it "really" growls on take off too

"dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Hi Kiwi -

Enroute to the Chino POF '09 Airshow (comin' down from Alaska), my pal- Rick & I rented a car at Sea-Tac for the afternoon, to head up the highway for a first visit to Paul Allen's FLYING HERITAGE COLLECTION museum up in Everett. T'Was right before their Flydays programs started, but we were lucky to catch some practice flying going on - Three P-51s, the T-Bolt & the P-40C. John Penney was flying the P-51D & the Tomahawk, and we had the pleasure of chatting w/John about- 'Things BEAR' & how he enjoyed his 'job' at FHC. I REALLY want to go back for one of the Flydays, when the DB-powered Bf-109 is up & performing- just to hear THAT rare motor 'growling' (in- 'Deutsch', no less!). (Loved seeing all the great FHC Flydays photos that've been posted on this message board! - Keep 'em comin'!)

'Veddy-Nice' FIREFLY Chino '09 takeoff shot there, Anthony!

Here's one more FF Flypast pic showing the beautiful wing planform well...

DBD

P. S. - Jason - Major THANKS for your awesome video links covering the 2009 POF Airshow. I shot some video there too, but after enjoying your artful work, I'm parkin' my v-camera back into the holiday closet (-indefinately!).
        Attached Files
        Last edited by BuckyD; 08-05-2009, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Bucky,

Thanks for the reply... Paul Allen's collection is definately one museum id love to visit... An interesting fact on the collection is that 4 of the collection have been sourced via the Alpine Fighter Collection here in NZ, the 109, Spitfire Vc, Nakajima Oscar, and Polikarpov I-16 all were restored for the AFC, but have been sold, the 109 and spitfire were restored in the UK, and unfortunately never made it to NZ where the spitfire would have been among 2 other spitfires at the time a mk XIV & a Mk XVI,
          The Polikarpov was one of the first to arrive in NZ from restoration in Russia, where it debuted at Warbirds over Wanaka 98,
          The Oscar was refurbished in Wanaka to a taxiable standard where for a couple of shows it was taxied down the runway on a 'takeoff' roll only to be 'shot down/destroyed' by either a P-40 or F4U... the Oscar was also visited by a ground crew member who pushed it into the foliage by the airfield where it was found and was finished in the markings it last wore in combat, during the refurbishment, there was combat damage found in the form of bullet holes in the wing and fuselage, so there is a large 'kiwi' contingent at the FHC...
          race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyD View Post

P. S. - Jason - Major THANKS for your awesome video links covering the 2009 POF Airshow. I shot some video there too, but after enjoying your artful work, I'm parkin' my v-camera back into the holiday closet (-indefinately!).
            My pleasure Bucky, I always love seeing everyone's excellent pictures and to be able to share the video side of it is great.
            Jason
            Last edited by Jason S.; 08-06-2009, 11:02 PM.
            Jason Schillereff

Comment

Working...
            X