Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Racing Laps

Hi,

I work for KNPB Channel 5 Public Broadcasting and we are working on a documentary about the air races.

Why does the amount of laps not stay consistent year to year in air racing? How often does the amount of laps change?

Thanks,

Ben Asnis

Re: Air Racing Laps

Originally posted by BenKNPB View Post
    Hi,

I work for KNPB Channel 5 Public Broadcasting and we are working on a documentary about the air races.

Why does the amount of laps not stay consistent year to year in air racing? How often does the amount of laps change?

Thanks,

Ben Asnis
    I think they've stayed pretty consistent for some time now, at least in recent years. For example the gold race on Sunday has been 8 laps for over 25 years.
    "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Heat races are sometimes 6 laps as the race promoters would like to see the the airplanes make it through all week long in airworthy condition, up to the finals on Sunday.

In the seventies the races were often 10 or 12 laps and this wore out a few airplanes. The P-51 crowd was the group that usually wanted the amount of laps reduced as the Merlin would only last about 5 laps at Bearcat-chasing power settings.

As time went on the race promoters reduced the number of laps, the course grew smaller and the reliability of the Merlin's increased to the point where it stands today.

Comment

Maybe BenKNPB should meet with some of the AAFOer's that have a relationship with some of the racers, at this years races. There are some seriously knowledgeable people here (including crews, officials, pilots) that would be tickled to help someone tell the story right.
        Or a list of questions here that could be answered bu the "informed" en masse.
        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
        X