Rare Bear Flight ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare Bear Flight ???

Just wondered if anyone had any inside info on how progress with the Bear is coming and if a test flight was scheduled any time soon. I know it's still many weeks early for their normal "MO" Or if any of the several mods discussed were implemented. Nothing on their web site.

Cloudchaser

Re: Rare Bear Flight ???

It's pretty hard to fly without an engine.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Adams View Post
      It's pretty hard to fly without an engine.
      Every year it's the same story with the Bear. It's always engine issues, and as a result, people start doubting that she'll be competitive, let alone even be there. The fact is, in the last five years, she's taken home the gold three times, ('04,'05,'07) when she's had so called "issues"! My point is, i wouldn't bet against her and the team being on the ramp this year ready to kick some butt! With all of the info, insight, and rumors that are so readily available these days via the internet, don't you think that teams would "play the game" so as not to let their competitors know what was really going on? I THINK SO! I really don't think that Mr. Lewis would spend tens of thousands of dollars on a bitchin' paint job just to sit on the ramp and look pretty, knowing full well the ridicule he would receive from competitors and fans alike! I would bet that this whole engine debacle is just a ploy. If any of you have noticed, NONE of the teams are saying anything about what they're doing, keeping everyone guessing, and ultimately doubting, what's going on. They'll "reveal their hands" when they're on the ramp..........and so the games begin!
      "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

And even when they are on the ramp they will reveal little truth.
        I have seen many years when this racer or that racer was "making metal" or "out for good" only to have them win, especially the Bear and Strega! The only time I count a racer out is when I see him on Sunday morning with the engine out and the nose covered in plastic...
        The rumors will only be facts on Sunday night, and even THEN some are suspect.
        Fun though, aint it?
        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Didn't Strega come to the races last year with a "stock" engine" ??

GP

Comment

Originally posted by gp70442 View Post
            Didn't Strega come to the races last year with a "stock" engine" ??

GP
            ...and the year before that...and the year before......

Comment

And does anybody remember a year when the Bear WAS ready?
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

yes, 1991

Comment

Originally posted by Wingnut View Post
                  ...and the year before that...and the year before......

Yeah, what's up with all these used-to-be-bad-ass Mustangs now racing with these whimpy engines? What ever happened to the good ol' days of the Mouse motored Mustangs and such........

Comment

[QUOTE]yes, 1991[QUOTE]
                    Ok, I stand corrected. 18 years ago, and the ONE year I have missed since 1976!
                    Point being, many of the big guys seem to limp in on their last breath, or are plagued by problems all week and still do great on sunday. Some of it is real, some of it is psych out.
                    Unless the Bear is tied down in the hanger when they take off for the gold I count her in!
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

I can answer that for you GRAMPI. Ten years ago 120,000 would buy you the wildest mouse, engine that could be built. That was about double what a stocker was going for. Today a stock airshow or "slow reno mustang" engine can cost you 130,000 to 200,000. Owners would rather keep the engine they just spent 200,000 on for more than one week. And most of them have blown more than one up on the course. From talking to them a blown-up engine MAY-DAY looks alot more fun than it is. And it dosnt look very fun to start with.

no animals were injured in the writing of this post, and all engine/rodent referances are the sole property of Dwight Thorn. known mostly as DWIGHT,THORNY,EXPLATIVE,and GRAMPA (only in the presance of STEVE B. aka "STEVE DANGER")

Comment

I don't think the Bear crew is short of engines this year. Besides having last years broken race engine they have the one from Critical Mass and several air craft that Mr Lewis purchased with 3350's including Mike Browns 232. I think they have an engine or two. They are just waiting until the last hour ( ha ha ).

Cloudchaser

Comment

I'm certainly not in the know, but I believe that the engine from last year was the engine procured from the Dwelle's and run for some time in Critical Mass. In regards to other R-3350's available in their stable, the Bear's engine and systems are specialized/customized to the point that "bolting-on" a different version of the engine would require significant re-engineering of the business end of the airplane.

I'm also waiting (impatiently) for a definite answer, but given this situation, if the team does not have an engine ready or nearly so, the Bear will have to stand down in '09.

Again, I'm far out of the loop--please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this!

-Jeff Williams

Comment

They have more than one matching engine core...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Cloudchaser427 View Post
                              I don't think the Bear crew is short of engines this year. Besides having last years broken race engine they have the one from Critical Mass and several air craft that Mr Lewis purchased with 3350's including Mike Browns 232. I think they have an engine or two. They are just waiting until the last hour ( ha ha ).

Cloudchaser
                              232's engine would need major re-work to fit in Bear. 232 has a PRT section, Bear doesn't. To change this from what i understand, requires complete disassembly and cylinder removal. Who's to say this hasn't already been done maybe it has. I thought i read somewhere that 232 was still in Ione though. You are right though, i think they have enough parts. Who knows, they might have two engines ready to go (no one really knows, and the ones that do are keeping quiet, ) I go by the new Bear cave almost every day, and things are happening, but are being kept behind closed doors, sooooo............
                              "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Working...
                              X