Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Racing Environment in Cockpit

Hi,

I work for KNPB Channel 5 Public Broadcasting in Reno Nevada. We are working on a documentary on the Reno Air Races.

I'm trying to understand what the pilot is experiencing as they enter the cockpit. What is the procedure as the race pilot is getting in the plane. The pilot enters the cockpit they close the canopy. At this point there is no air in the cockpit and they are breathing 100% oxygen at this point? What are the sights and sounds as this is happening. When the canopy closes does it make a distinctive noise? What does it feel like as the pilot is breathing the oxygen. Is the pilot smelling anything? Does it make a certain noise as the oxygen comes in? Are there any other environmental experiences going on of note?

Thanks,

Ben Asnis

Re: Air Racing Environment in Cockpit

Race planes aren't pressurized, so most just breath regular air. The upper unlimiteds have an oxygen mask, but that is mainly for emergency's, and is normal air, not 100% oxygen.

Comment

Ben,

If you dig around on this site, there's an interview we did with Tiger a few years back, where we asked him to take us with him for a lap.. pretty much from startup to first lap completion. It's pretty cool, it's in real player format if I remember correctly... If you use it, credit to the site would be nice..

Actually, there are a few of the racers who hang here, you might get one of them to bite for an on-camera interview if you come out to Stead in September...

Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Ya know, a really informative, non-sensationalized treatment of the races with a little history AND modern perspective would be simply awesome! The pilots, crews, planes and fans...
        I know the public television audience is not as large as say a network, but it is still sizeable and to see something besides the page in the RGJ would certainly be good and probably bring out the people.
        Only problem would be covering it in any depth with a one hour format. A series? Wish I had the cash to produce something like that.
        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Please take a moment to check out the pylon judge website I developed with the help of John Melarkey, Chief Pylon Judge and a couple fellow judges (including my good friend, "Outer 6".)

Click the link here:

then navigate to "Who We Are/What We Do". At the bottom of that page, click "Final Word" then "One Second in the Life of a Racer." It spells out in great detail what's happens in one second of racing in an unlimited...form engine performance to human physiological performance.

Enjoy the site all, and feel free to pass the word. It's a unique look into the experiences of those who have "The Best Seat in the House!"

Cheers,
          Owen Ashurst
          Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
          http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Comment

"The upper unlimiteds have an oxygen mask, but that is mainly for emergency's, and is normal air, not 100% oxygen."

There are at least two Super Sport racers, #33 and #44, use 100% oxygen during the race.

Comment

Originally posted by georgiacub View Post
                "The upper unlimiteds have an oxygen mask, but that is mainly for emergency's, and is normal air, not 100% oxygen."

There are at least two Super Sport racers, #33 and #44, use 100% oxygen during the race.
                Is that out of necessity, or just for the head-rush! (teasing...)

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
                  Is that out of necessity, or just for the head-rush! (teasing...)

Having been the GIB for a 45 minute photo shoot of the Red Knight T-33 (we were the subject plane and I was "dressed" in a Rolls-Royce flight suit and helmet) where the pilot (Chris Rounds) was on 100% O2 and I was just breathing what was in the cockpit.. I'd have to say, if I'd have had the same appratus as Chris, I'd have felt a lot better after the flight! There was no effort at gracefullness in the flight, we just needed to get where the photographer in another T-33 wanted us, as quickly as possible.. yank and bank for 45 minutes. About 35 mins in, Chris looked over his shoulder and said.. "shoot, I forgot you were back there, you doin' allright?"...

I was, but would have been doing a lot more "allright" if I'd have had pure O2 to combat the lack of same the blood in my brain from 35 minutes of a fair amount of g's...

Just an observation and WAG, not an expert comment on this subject but.. I think breathing pure O2 lessens the effect of g's on the brain...
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I have labored for years under the assumption that they used O2 to combat CO poisoning also. As I remember in one of the Super Corsairs that crashed in the 40's (Janazzo) it was suspected as a cause.
                    What IS the real reason?
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

It's for combating fatigue during high activity, protection from fumes, and from smoke and fire. Stuff happens in a matter of seconds so the requirement to have an O2 system in place and serviced with the mask in use during operation was adopted in the seventies.
                      Many accidents show smoke in the lung tissue during autopsy, best to be prepared.
                      Mixed air is probably used during ground ops at the races, then 100% for flight. Ryan says his Dad uses mixed air usually so it's all up to the individual.

Comment

Thanks!
                        I've only used it with a cannula for soaring above 10,000. It makes sense to me to have a relatively unrestricted and safe source during racing.
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Yeah, it seems to me that pure oxy would only be needed in combat because of altitude. Plain air would do fine for protection from smoke and fumes.

But Wayne's suggestion of fighting off G-fatigue makes sense to me. It might help one tolerate an extra Gee or two.

Comment

Regulators get the "air" from the cockpit. The O2 is mixed in from the tank. This happens at the regulator. Selecting 100% aviators O2 selects out the ambient cockpit air. There is no divers type "air" used in aviation O2 tanks. If the ambient cockpit air has fumes or smoke, the "air" through the mask would have fumes and smoke in it. So it would not protect the pilot.

I'm not sure how every regulator works but I'm sure that the "mix" of (ambient cockpit)air and oxygen is for normal operations where the cockpit is known to be free of contaminants. This would be for extending the duration of the O2 systems capacity for a long cross country at altitude, or some operation like that.

Hence, 100% O2 in flight should be used for racing. Some guys may not use it, but it's the only way to be completely protected from ingesting contaminants.
                            The idea that "combat" and "air race" are somehow operationally different, risk wise, seems improper.
                            The engine IS going to get a hole it, just how it gets the hole in it is different. Pilots didn't wear masks in combat to prevent rounds from hitting the airplane, they wore them so when the fire started the lungs were in good shape long enough so the pilot could take steps to assure survival! 100% contaminant free aviators O2 piped, without dilution, to the pilot's mask is how one gets that protection.

Comment

Ok Stunt guy, who are you? Very informed obviously.
                              Will Whiteside

Comment

Working...
                              X