Email from Wildfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email from Wildfire

I wrote Wildfire's website a couple of days ago to see how they were doing.....here's the reply:

We are doing our best to make Reno this year.
    Hope to have an update on our web site soon.

Bill Statler
    Wildfire Air Racing Team
    Unlimited Division

Re: Email from Wildfire

Sounds like a broken record...no offense intended, just an observation.

I hope this is the year they make it...

Comment

On a related note why does this forum do that wierd font treatment to the word fire?

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
        On a related note why does this forum do that wierd font treatment to the word fire?
        Well.... because google ads are context sensitive and when they first came out, they were a little less than intellegent in the way they chose what ads to run. There was a rather unpleasant event, where a baby perished in a house fire. At the time of that horrible event, there was an ad campaign for a CD/DVD burner with the slogan "burn baby burn"...

Let's say the placement of that ad on a newspaper site which carried the story of the house fire, was in bad taste.

As it is now, when we first got google ads here, much of our revenue was dependent on relevant ads being shown and people clicking on them.. to combat unfortunate incidents, such as the one mentioned above, google set it up so that certain key words would trigger "PSA's" (Public Service Announcements) which are completely "non rev" for publishers and simply take up valueable ad space..

Obviously, one of those words was "fire".. I avoided the problem by doing a word replacement within the software of this board, replacing certain words with images of the words, which the "googlebot" would not see and would not trigger the no rev ads...

That, is the long and short of it. I have never changed the word replacement and probably will not, because, I'm not certain the algo of the great googlebot knows the difference yet to this day....

Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I avoided the problem by doing a word replacement within the software of this board, replacing certain words with images of the words,...

Ah...So fixing this problem would require little more than to move the image of the word "fire" a little higher up on the image file, so that it aligns with the standard characters a little closer...

Comment

Working...
          X