X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonex Jet

Interesting....

New class at Reno??

Official website of the EAA AirVenture Oshkosh fly-in convention in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, attracting more than 500,000 people and 10,000 airplanes each July.
    F1 Race 98 & 99

Re: Sonex Jet

A racing jet with a never-exceed-300-mph speed limit? May as well stick with the sport prop class. Anyone ever try to put a small turbojet in a Lancair yet (heh-heh).

They say "under $50,000" for the kit, but how much is the jet engine? Is that estimate including powerplant? if not, how much to put one in the air, avionics and all?
    Last edited by AirDOGGe; 07-26-2009, 06:33 PM.

Comment

naaa....us jet guys don't get no respect! plus the VNE kinda limits it...

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
        They say "under $50,000" for the kit, but how much is the jet engine?
        The way I read this would be the completed project, engine and all. Engine comes from the RC world so would be relatively inexpensive.
        F1 Race 98 & 99

Comment

Good luck doing 300 mph. Those engine's that they're talking about will maybe push an r/c to 300 mph! It's all speculation, as no testing (ground or air) has even been done yet..............A guy named Jim Bede did this about 38 years ago, with the BD-5j. Performance #'s with Juan Jimenez' BD-5j (which is the lightest BD-5j or BD-5 for that matter at 359 lbs.)were 300 mph with the Microturbo 022 "Cougar" that produces 225 pounds of thrust. The engines for the Sonex jet produce 170-200 lbs. and the plane weighs 330 lbs. Similar #'s but the aerodynamics of the BD-5j are much sleeker. I don't know, maybe it will do 300 mph, but i really think that's a bit optimistic.................
          Last edited by t-dub; 07-27-2009, 03:20 PM.
          "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Here's the BD-5j.........
            Attached Files
            "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

well those are fun...

Originally posted by t-dub View Post
              Here's the BD-5j.........
              but they have range of about the distance you can throw a rock!

Comment

an ultralight turned into a jet... nice.
                its not very attractive, it has an engine of questionable quality, and it has no real purpose.
                Under 50K? maybe, but thats probably refering to any potential resale value, which would be probably half again, if that.
                I dont mean to stifle creativity, but this seems to be an example of adapting an existing airframe to suit what is deemed "popular" these days, jets, with no thought to how suitable it really is.
                There are so many great projects these days, restorations, rebuilds, new builds, and one offs, but in my opinion this is not one of them.

This is right up there with the "lease an unflown racer" proposal in terms of bad ideas.

Comment

Re: well those are fun...

Originally posted by JET1 View Post
                  but they have range of about the distance you can throw a rock!
                  The turbo-prop version, was/is a pretty good compromise of speed and range.

Comment

Couldn't be much more impractical than this -

Last edited by Skyracer; 07-31-2009, 10:44 PM.

Comment

If you want an even cheaper jet.

I kid you not, you wont see this every day. Maybe just as well. Jeremy Clarkson was seen on a pedal-cycle with one of these engines on the back, frightening ...

And if that is still too expensive I saw a hang glider with two pulse jets attached. Dynajets are about $200 each.

Comment

Working...
                      X