Is FIFI getting anycloser to ready?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is FIFI getting anycloser to ready?

I haven't herd or seen anything about FIFI please I am dying for news any would help,did thay get the OK for the engine mods?I would kill to see her run the reno coarse again had to be a site to see.thanks all Bill

Re: Is FIFI getting anycloser to ready?

Everything you want to know:

Comment

I read in a Magizine last week.. I believe it was Fly-low, Anyways they have one engine mounted and are expecting more soon!! They should it should be flying sometime next year!!!
      W.Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by RRMERLIN7 View Post
        I read in a Magizine last week.. I believe it was Fly-low, Anyways they have one engine mounted and are expecting more soon!! They should it should be flying sometime next year!!!
        Yes, we have a new hybrid #3 mounted and just about ready to run. Nelson Ezell is completing the exhaust for us, and we are waiting on our props to be overhauled, then the plan is to run the engine on the airframe. Our second engine is about a month or so from test run. It is hoped that in about a year we will be starting our test program.

Updates are in our monthly newsletter, and we try to put the word out over on WIX fairly often.

Fly safe,
        Chris Trobridge
        CAF B-29/24 Squadron PIO
        The B-29/B-24 Squadron protects these rare flying monuments for future generations through preservation, education, exhibition and airshows.

Comment

Good News! Personal moment, if I may:
          My uncle was a 29 pilot in WWII, shot down over Kobe, Japan. Entire crew was captured and executed in July of 45. I am the proud owner of all his personal effects, which includes uniforms, medals, documents, diaries, yearbooks, letter to/from home, the works. Treasures beyond measures.

In 1995 (if I recall correctly) I spent over 100 hours rewiring the engineers panel and other assorted duties when FIFI was in Seattle, WA for a major overhaul. I was chosen to fly onboard after she was recertified. Capt. Tom Cloyd (may he rest in peace) was the pilot. I asked Capt. Cloyd if would take my uncles wings with him on the flight deck during the flight. He knew my story and that of my uncle and said he would be proud to do so. The date was May 29th...my birthday and the last date my uncle made an entry in the mission diary that he kept while based on Tinian. I was called forward during the flight from the waist position. Crawling thru the tube in flight was a rush! As I "spit out" thru the tube onto the flight deck, Capt Cloyd was there to greet me and said, as he handed my uncles wings to me, "Here Owen, these will mean more to you here and now. Have a seat." With eye's watering, I enjoyed a "bombing run" over the Bangor Naval Submarine Station. Still get chills even writing about it. Few days later, FIFI left for good from Seattle's Boeing Field. The date: June 4th. The date of my uncles final mission, from which he never returned. I've not seen FIFI since that day. But I will forever remember the absolute pride and sheer joy of the unique set of circumstances that brought me to that place...at that time. May FIFI know nothing but CAVU skies forever more.
          Last edited by Air Boss; 07-30-2009, 09:05 AM.
          Owen Ashurst
          Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
          http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Air Judge -

Awesome - thank you very, very much, for sharing that personal gem account with all of us. That made my week.

DBD

Comment

BuckyD~ Thanks for the kind words and happy to have contributed to bettering your week! Every time I talk or write about that time in my life, it is life-affirming. I suppose I should do it more often, huh? It was an incredible confluence of time and circumstances. Just the month prior to FIFI arriving in Seattle, my aunt (uncle's war widow) and I went to Jefferson Barracks MO., where my uncles crew is buried in a mass grave. She had never been back as the scares and pain lingered for her too much.

I never knew my uncle (I was born in 54) and was named after him. My family remarks often about how much I remind them of my uncle. It's an incredible source of pride for me. One which I carry around and call up on an almost daily basis, if only for a moment. I feel privledge to have such a thing...it's almost tangible in an odd way.

Hope your week goes well and your weekend even better!
              Owen Ashurst
              Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
              http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Exciting to see this wonderful bird getting so much luvin! So what is the engine swap about exactly? What are the changing the engine to?

Michele

Comment

Originally posted by spacegrrrl View Post
                  Exciting to see this wonderful bird getting so much luvin! So what is the engine swap about exactly? What are the changing the engine to?

Michele
                  Michele
                  Retroaviation can probably answer this with more specifics, but the short answer to your question is that the squadron could no longer find a shop that would stand behind their overhaul of the original model engines. As an example two engines produced metal well before their break-in period was completed, however the overhaul shop would not stand behind their engines.
                  Gary Austin got together with some of the best minds in the round engine business and determined that by combining the various models of 3350. The AC-119 (-95W) and Skyraider (-26WD) into a single engine it is believed that a reliable engine will be created.
                  The first engine has been test run and is in the process of being plumbed and custom exhaust manufactured. The second engine is under construction at Ray Anderson's shop in Idaho.

The whole deal comes down to safely operating FIFI for as long as possible, operating with the original engines was no longer safe.

Gary wrote a great article about the whole process, and as soon as I can find it I will post a link.

Gary if I do not have something accurate, please feel free to jump in and correct it! I am just a dumb historian.

Fly safe,
                  Chris
                  CAF B-29/24 Squadron PIO

Comment

Here is a thread from WIX that gives a better description of what the new engine will be composed of.

Hope this helps,
                    Chris
                    Last edited by flyingsailor; 07-30-2009, 06:49 PM. Reason: forgot the link

Comment

So basically an amalgam of 3350 parts to make something supportable. Makes sense. I was surprised that so many changes were required to support the change since it is all within the same "family" of engine.

Can't wait to see her in the air again!

Michele

Comment

Working...
                      X