Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sun n' Fun Northwest Style

Sun n' Fun Northwest Style

While Wayne and Mark were off having fun in Florida, those of us stuck in the northwest got to sit and watch a whole lot of rain. So, I decided to trek up to Skagit Regional /Bay View Airport for the Tulip Festival Fly-in and to take a couple pics of the rain: “Sun 'n Fun: Northwest Style”. (plus, I needed an excuse to try out my new camera lens).

Located about an hour north of Seattle, and nestled between the foothills of the Cascades and Puget Sound, the Skagit valley is known primarily for its acres upon acres of tulips. The Skagit Valley Tulip Festival Fly-in is essentially the first local fly-in of the year and marks the beginning of flying season here in the northwest.

However, as with all outdoor activities in the northwest, the weather is often a factor—and this year winter demonstrated its stubbornness to relinquish its hold. While the 38 knot gusts, rain showers and marginal VFR conditions were enough to persuade most people to leave their airplanes tucked away in their cozy hangers, several aircraft did venture out and were on hand to enjoy the occasional afternoon sun break.

Those that ventured out and made an appearance this year included a trio from the Cascade Warbird Squadron consisting of two North American SNJ-5 Navy Trainers, and a beautiful T-28 Trojan. The US Coast Guard showed up with a sleek Aerospatiale HH-65 Dolphin based out of Anacortes, WA. Other aircraft on hand also included an Army CH-47 Chinook, a Yak trainer, and an immaculately restored Beech C-45.

To those who challenged the elements to offer a brief reprieve to those of us suffering aero-withdraws from the dreary winter: Thanks!

Sun n' Fun Northwest Style

Kraz
    Attached Files

The weather was so crappy that I though for sure it would have been cancelled..............so I missed it ..oh well, Olympia is coming....
    the other Wayne................

Comment

Warbirds this weekend too!

Yeah, actually I was headed up to visit my folks and thought I would drop in and take some picture of the rain, a wet (and empty) ramp -- figuring a photo of the reflection of a lone 172 in the pools of standing water on the ramp-- would be a great parody of Wanye and Bear going to Florida (without me!). But wouldn't you know it, the weather actually broke for a bit and a few aircraft showed up... ruining the plan. Not that I am complaining!

And don’t forget, this Saturday is Warbird Day at the Museum of Flight in Seattle (and the weather is supposed to be better too!)

Kraz
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X