X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool Site

Some how my dad stumbled upon a really cool site with some great pics:

click me now!

The "Mystery Meat" section has 19 pages of rare planes and rarer photos. Most of them I am familiar with (to a degree).

This one, I ain't got a clue. Any ideas?

Bill Pearce
    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Sorry. here's the link

I guess the pic is too big. Here is the link to the pic.

can you name this plane?
    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

another conversation with myself

If you've been wondering, and my guess is you haven't, it's a SNCASE 580.

Bill Pearce
      Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Thanks for posting. THis site has been a blast to talk about. Where can I find more info on the SNCASE 580? Peas
        Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
        World Speed Record Holder

Comment

SNCASE 580

I found nothing of the a/c on the web or in any of my reference. I posted a message on the message board if that website and Christophe Meunier from France responded with the following:

The SNCA Sud Est SE 580 comes from the SNCA du Midi M 580 project of 1940. It would have 2 coupled engines. Then SNCASE overtook the SNCAM, and wind-tunnel trials occured in 1943. After France being freed, in 1944, the SE 580 prototype was officially ordered, by the Air Minister then by the French Navy. The 580 code was linked to the 520 (Dewoitine) family, and the wing structure was typically Dewoitine (private companies disappeared in the French aviation world in 1936, replaced by government-owned SNCAs : Sociétés Nationales de Construction Aéronautique / Aeronautic Manufacturing National Societies). The rear fuselage included an internal radiator, feeded in air by a dorsal intake. With this position, the radiator was almost protected. The dorsal air-intake principle was kept alive on projects SE 2410/2415. On the SE 580, the engine would have been a 24-cylinders one, instead of 2x 12 cylinders ones. The power was 2500 hp for a start, but 3600 hp was expected. Armament would have been a 30mm gun in the airscrew and four 20mm guns in the wing, and a vertical camera would have been installed in the central fuselage. In 1946, the Hispano-Suiza 24Z engine (with contra-rotating airscrews) was discarded and changed for a 24H engine (German Jumo 213 manufactured in France), with one big 5-blade propeller and a lower axis, and so a longer landing gear. Then wind-tunnel test required to move the engine forward and make important changes in the wing. That was a lot of work, and the piston-engined aircraft were not up-to-date anymore. And the SNCASE had enough work with other projects. So SNCASE stopped work on this SE 580, without achieving the prototype manufacturing. The SNCA du Centre (SNCAC) could have taken on this project to finish it, but this project was discarded, too. So, no "first fly" for the SE 580. Span 15.862m - Length 13.000m - Weight 5093kg empty and 8128kg maximum - Maximum speed 749km/h (much !). All that comes from the Docavia book No.28 (wonderful book, with many French unbuilt projects of 1944-1960, but it is rather expensive).
          Tophe.
          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Wow Bill... (in my best Ed McMahon voice) that is *EVERYTHING* I could have wanted to know about this airplane...

(for those of you *too* young to remember the original Tonight Show, Starring Johnny Carson, McMahon used to play off Johnny in the "Karnak The Magnificent" skits and when Johnny would give an answer that was very long.. Ed would say something to the effect... >large emphisis on EVERYTHING< "Karnak, that's EVERYTHING anyone could have wondered about bla bla?")

Anyway... good info Billy!! How's dad by the way??

Wayne
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Keep in mind that the info came from Christophe Meunier, but I found it as complete as one could hope.

It made me want to get the book he spoke of, but then I would have to learn French.

Are AFFhOles that young? Or are we just forgetful of non-aviation related items? I can't seem to remember one thing my wife says to me, but I remember Carson.

Dad's still crazy. He was in Reno this weekend, letting time go by. On occasion he claims that he is going to "clean house" and off some of the "treasure". I still think I am going to inherit it, but not for another 100 years hopefully.

Bill
              Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

LOL!!! Yea.. how many people have a -150 hanging on their wall~!!

Still think that would make a hell of a lamp!

Your dad *is* a treasure!

Wayne
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Don't forget that he got that 150 for the step!
                  Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Yep.... I remember.. Still think it'd make a great lamp
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I'm sure I could pull some strings and allow you an opportunity to own that lamp. Would that interest you? Would you like a 63 t-bird? 46 chevy? 73 caddy? 73 impala? Okay, I've gotta stop now. You know that "treasure" gene is hereditary!

Bill
                      Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Great site about unusual pics

P.S this is the first time i've everposted anything, so tell me if I'm doing anything wrong!!

Comment

Lookin' Good

Looks okay to me. Welcome to the site.

Bill Pearce
                          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

This New website is now on my favorites... How did these pilots get their licenses?? Would have loved to see some photos taken in Hawaii when that China Airlines came within 4 feet of the condos....And to think,,, he was on visual approach....MG
                            MG

Comment

Well, I have to say that this is now my vavorite site, too. I hope to get out to Reno one of these doys and see some great people and airplanes, but until then I guess this site will have to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X