optomist lot/st. michaels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• optomist lot/st. michaels

This year at the races will be different for me, i'll be traveling solo and probably camping outta my van and tent. I'm considering the Optomist lot but i'm not sure about the availability of the facility at St. Michaels, are the showers available at 5am? I like to be first in line at the media trailer, and dont want to smell like the desert every morning.

Would the $175 for the spot all week be a thumbs up or down?

Any advise from the veterans would be great, thanks in advance

Anthony
    "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Re: optomist lot/st. michaels

I haven't stayed at St Michaels in a long time, but it was always a great place. Several friends still camp there. I don't know what time the showers open (can't recall if it was 6am,etc.)

Here's the details from their website, if you haven't seen them.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara View Post
      I haven't stayed at St Michaels in a long time, but it was always a great place. Several friends still camp there. I don't know what time the showers open (can't recall if it was 6am,etc.)

Here's the details from their website, if you haven't seen them.

Michael
      Thanks Michael
      "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

The Optimists lot I camped in for years is now a building and several huge piles of dirt. My old spot X-10 is buried under 20' of soil! They had several lots that they used, I don't know if or where they will be now. As that area slowly fills in (industrial proerty is still selling) it may become impossible to camp near the airport.
        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

you are a HARD CORE race fan...

I have been doing Reno for 30+ years but I can't even begin to imagine camping out.....

Comment

Back "in the day" it was extremely cool to camp with the flying and the friends. Nowadays I look for a softer life but would sleep in the front seat of my car again if I had to!
            Let me know what you work out Anthony.
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Re: you are a HARD CORE race fan...

Originally posted by JET1 View Post
              I have been doing Reno for 30+ years but I can't even begin to imagine camping out.....
              I've been doing it for 30 years also, i cant imagine doing it any other way, unfortunately, the best spot of all has been taken from us, i can still view the races from the same spot, just cant camp out. I dont even care where i put my van, just gonna need a shower to wash off 16 hours of dust, smoke, oil and sweat.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                Back "in the day" it was extremely cool to camp with the flying and the friends. Nowadays I look for a softer life but would sleep in the front seat of my car again if I had to!
                Let me know what you work out Anthony.
                Roger that!

Comment

My whole family camped there last year. I don't believe the showers were open till about 6am. Although, I can't say for sure because we all took showers in the evening.

Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by bflynt View Post
                    My whole family camped there last year. I don't believe the showers were open till about 6am. Although, I can't say for sure because we all took showers in the evening.

Bryan
                    Why didnt i think of that

Comment

You could make it easy and just skip them completely. I'll be sure and wave "Hi" to you from across the ramp...
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                        You could make it easy and just skip them completely. I'll be sure and wave "Hi" to you from across the ramp...
                        That's funny, right there!

I've been camping at St. Michael's since 1984. Some college buddies and I came up that year with a huge military surplus tent, rented 4 spots, and then sublet sleeping space. Made enough to cover the cost of the weekend, too.
                        Now it's a family thing, and we wouldn't go anywhere else. The nice folks at the church always remember my girls and have treated them like royalty.
                        Besides, the BBQ is at the church now, and it's kinda nice to not have to go far to sleep after eating and drinking a bit.
                        Last edited by Bigger Al; 06-26-2009, 08:20 AM.

Comment

I can tell you there are NO showers at the Optimists lot, but it's right there and you can walk in in 4 minutes...

Only problem has been an industrial shop upwind from the Opto lot and they puke out some sort of nasty toxic smell ....like way worse than welding fumes...like plating fumes or something bad!

Comment

It always reminded me of burning clutch.
                            The big lot between Alpha and Bravo is gone, unless some serious re-grading happens before September. The end that fronts Mt. Bismark is an industrial building now. the overflow lot between Bravo and Cocoa may still be there. I didn't drive back there and could not see over the dirt piles.
                            We were lucky to have sani-huts there and a sewer dump (just open the manhole!) and one lowly potable water hose. But it was heaven.
                            airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                            X