PHOTOS.. struggling...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHOTOS.. struggling...

To be honest, I'd been about ready to throw the camera bag to Ebay and give this chit up after trying for several years to catch up from a "year off" and getting out of the "loop"... (actually, it's a ZEN thing) but fooled around a bit with shutter speeds this PRS.. Shot most of my IF1, and Sport stuff at 400 (it works, fairly good prop blur) and struggled with the UL's at 320.. got some decent stuff there.. tried a few laps at 250 and managed to pull out about 1% (or less) of what I did there..

I'll never be able to get even close to Victor Archer, but this one (and a couple of others) that I shot at 250, bad light, original is way underexposed (thank god for RAW) came out OK..

I also discovered Nikon's "view" program, which makes it REALLY easy (read FAST) to review and delete raw/jpg folders.. (read that.... deletes both files in one swoop) and I'm having a much easier time going through the stuff I shoot..

I WILL have a gallery up sometime over the next 30 days.. but will try to share some that I run across as I cull out the bad (majority) of my shots from PRS.. maybe, I'll even dig back a few years and get some of my earlier work posted.... (cha... right)

Anyway.. just one for now.. I should post the original, if it doesn't make you swear by raw... this is a "cropper".. shot while trying to get some background in the shot stuff.. Stevo had just cleared any chance of that and this one seemed to have potential, even though very dark.. it's not, by any means, perfect... We were in cloud shade, sky was pretty backlit.. but it came out OK..

Lemme know whatcha think..

PS.. second shot is the orignal.. noticing that the display program thing has a bit of a problem with image sizing.. the shot on the left, when you click on the thumb, is not truly the image.. it's "kinked" a bit.. due to some resizing thing going on with the java "lightbox" display deal.. click on the full size (java display) shot and you'll actualy see a bit better rendition of what's there.. I'm pretty amazed at how far you can go with 'out of camera' adjustments to exposure and such when shooting raw.. Can't make sunlight, only god can do that but you can make up a lot of lost ground with post processing!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by AAFO_WSagar; 06-22-2009, 11:39 PM. Reason: posting original also
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: PHOTOS.. struggling...

WOW, i had no idea you could crop a shot to that degree, i've probably thrown away 1000's that looked like you original, when i coouldve actually used them. Amazing exposure you pulled from the original.

More please
    "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Wayne-

We are our own worst critics! Don't be so down on your stuff.Its good.
      Like anything else it takes time to get up to speed.(Ha Ha)
      No seriously. It seems the digital photograph potential is just getting started and will take folks a while to figure it out.Not to worry you'll get it figured out
      As far as the Alien goes......................when you come from outerspace things are just different!
      Keep up the great work here and in your other projects.I appreciate the ability and accessibility of all I find here.

B2

Comment

Good lesson for all, Wayne! I've been saying for a while that for web use even pretty severe cropping can work very well. If your technique is good, digital lets you do some remarkable things.

It's the final image that counts, not necessarily what originally came out of the camera...

Comment

Wayne, the diffference between the before and after pictures has convinced me to start shooting raw .. what an amazing difference.

I usually shoot jpg and sometimes end up with results like your original pic #2. If i can shoot raw and with some editing end up with the results in pic #1, I will be a happy man.

Thanks, Ron

Comment

Wayne,

Don't give up the fight. I rented a 5D II for Chino, just because I had to know if it would work, then imagined I could get away with 160th exposures hand held all day. Suffice it to say I only had a very low percentage of keepers. We takes our medicine and move on.

As to the RAW vs. JPEG debate, with apologies for stealing your original photo Wayne, I submit the following as evidence you can pull results 97 percent as well from JPEGs as you can from RAW. I state this only because for those not fully committed, JPEG shooters can enjoy usable results even from marginal beginnings.

And for the record, I spent 60 seconds processing Wayne's image.

Robert
            Attached Files
            No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
            http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Originally posted by ignomini View Post
              Wayne,

Don't give up the fight. I rented a 5D II for Chino, just because I had to know if it would work, then imagined I could get away with 160th exposures hand held all day. Suffice it to say I only had a very low percentage of keepers. We takes our medicine and move on.

As to the RAW vs. JPEG debate, with apologies for stealing your original photo Wayne, I submit the following as evidence you can pull results 97 percent as well from JPEGs as you can from RAW. I state this only because for those not fully committed, JPEG shooters can enjoy usable results even from marginal beginnings.

And for the record, I spent 60 seconds processing Wayne's image.

Robert
              Looks pretty good for web posting Robert, how about for large prints?
              "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

I like it better with the clouds...
                Attached Files
                http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

s f,

There is a limit to everything. If one is producing art prints in large sizes, it's desirable to start with the best possible image. However, for us punters, surprisingly good results can be had from JPEGs even in large sizes. This is a very involved subject.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from working with RAW files. My point is, casual photographers can produce very fine results from easier to handle JPEG files - results good enough that it would take a fine tooth comb to see the differences.

A quick glance at the histogram of Wayne's file shows that while the image is dark, there are virtually no blown out pixels. That being the case, a RAW version would have nothing more to offer. The only area where a RAW file stands a better chance is if the JPEG (straight out of the camera) had pixels stacked up at 0 or 100 percent.

The latest round of 12 and 14 bit cameras will hold more detail at the edges than an 8 bit JPEG, but these differences are subtle and live outside the reproducible gamut of your average monitor. The differences are visible to the discerning eye in high quality prints, but they're not night and day. For the average Joe working on a modern LCD screen at home the extra data in the RAW file will only be visible with extreme manipulation.

I have hundreds (thousands?) of improper exposures in my archives. Many of them are entirely usable with careful manipulation. Shooting them all in RAW, at many times the data storage requirement, would have made very little difference in how many could be saved. My advice to everyone is spend time on getting your exposures and Picture Styles right, then you won't need much fancy post processing to fix them.

None of what I have said means I'm any damn good, it just means I've been staring at pixels on Mac monitors for the last 25 years and am starting to get a little punchy.
                  Last edited by ignomini; 06-24-2009, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Archer View Post
                    I like it better with the clouds...
                    There's your proof, it's the quality of the manipulator more than the format of the data.

Comment

Thanks for the lesson Robert, you got about 20 years of staring at monitors on me

Comment

I'm a fan of RAW, especially for blown out highlights. Also I believe that there is less noise in the shadows of underexposed RAW's than Jpegs.
                        Another advantage is White Balance. I shoot with Auto white balance and I change it to what I want on the computer later. If 5 years down the road I change my mind then I can always go back and change it again. I have also heard that there will be other advantages to RAW as computer technology advances.

Jarrod

Comment

Working...
                        X