PRS Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRS Thoughts

Wow, now I really can not wait to have all the racers come to town.....Sorry, no pictures but here were my general thoughts.

Czech Mate - Looked very good with speeds somewhere between 472 and 477, and from talking to the crew I suspect they have more. Something about this plane coming that quick around the last pylon looked really good, speed, reliable 2800, might be watching the passing of the guard this year.

History - Couple (I said couple) of P-40's and a stock Corsair, can not beat that and as you suspect they too looked good in the air. Oh, they got a T-28 going too, sounded like a gravel truck as it ripped through the air down the front stretch. Air Biscuit better look out, they have some compitition in the oldy but goody category.

Bear - I have to admit the internet photos did not impress me, but seeing the paint job in person has me doing a complete 180, dang it looked good. Course now it needs to be ready for September, full respect to the crew and the work that lies ahead of them. Keeping my fingers crossed that she comes together.

Oh, and it seems that the jets finally have a plane that can appeal to the masses, not sure what it was but i think it was a bat with a jet engine on it. Several prop lovers commented that they have a new favorite plane.

Also, big thanks to all of you that made it to the Wall Thursday, it was a great time seeing everyone together and talking planes. Looking forward to another BBQ this year.

David

Re: PRS Thoughts

Hey David,

It was great to finally meet you.

I agree, that little jet sure looked sweet out there around the pylons, I hope they get to race.

The P-40's were a great sight out there, as was the Corsiar, and the T-28 as well. When was the last time a P-40 raced here at Reno?

A really big thanks out to the guys from Nikon, it really means a lot getting try out different gear. I look forward to seeing you back in September!!

I think this was a great PRS!!

LP

Comment

PRS was great-first time I attended, definitely need to take more time off next year and take it all in. Any time watching them fly low and fast
      is the best
      Had a great time Thursday, it's great to be able to put a face to a name,
      can't wait for September
      Knotty Girl Crew

Comment

Originally posted by MMPerk View Post
        Hey David,

I agree, that little jet sure looked sweet out there around the pylons, I hope they get to race.

LP
        What make and model?

Don

Comment

Russ, Dave, Jarrod, Lonnie, Neal, Birgitta... others I've met at RENO and on this site, and now consider dear friends (long list!).. all I can say about the Internet and the richness and joy it has brought to my life, leting me meet and enjoy people I'd likely never have met without it, ain't it grand!

Russ, special thanks for being such a thougtfull friend! I'll always cherish the copy of Dell's book that you took the time to personalize for me!

RENO has changed my life! I grew up there, moved away as a teen, now I "live" there in my mind year round, have most of my friends "there". Even though, most of us don't actually reside there... we truly do live in that space in time we call RENO...

Thank you!
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Czech Mate - Looked very good with speeds somewhere between 472 and 477, and from talking to the crew I suspect they have more. Something about this plane coming that quick around the last pylon looked really good, speed, reliable 2800, might be watching the passing of the guard this year. David

Are those speed values officially sustained?
            If so, please Will Whiteside, make some cowling-spinner changes, some about cooling, and keep on racing SteadFast, don´t give up.
            By the way, is Steadfast racing Reno2009? I hope the answer be, yes!
            Last edited by taglialavore; 06-21-2009, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Tag, no judges are on the pylons for PRS, so speeds would be totally "unofficial". That said, they did some mods, and Sherman was pretty intent on getting the results from those mods so they could go further. From what I saw, he flew a pretty good line... could he have made cuts? Maybe... Did he go a LOT faster than year's before?

DAMN RIGHT HE DID!!!

It's gonna be a good year for sure!!
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by taglialavore View Post
                By the way, is Steadfast racing Reno2009?
                Red
                chanting...400+

Comment

Originally posted by hattend View Post
                  What make and model?

Don

DeHavilland Vampire. Noisiest damned jet I've ever heard. Sure did look sweet, though.

Sorry that I didn't make it to the meet up after Thursday's PRS, but I had my youngest daughter with me and it was better to get home early than late. We are looking forward to another BBQ this year in September!

Comment

Not as noisy as the MIG-21 that blasted out of Stead Wednesday afternoon! We really wanted him to take a turn around the pylons, but....

Comment

Originally posted by Bigger Al View Post
                      DeHavilland Vampire. Noisiest damned jet I've ever heard. Sure did look sweet, though.
                      On the course, to my ears (admittedly rather damaged) the centrifugal jet engine in the Viper/Vampire (jury still out on which this jet actually is) sounded freaking awesome! It has more of a rumble to it than most of the "hoover class" straight jets...

How cool is it to actually see one of these for the first time (for me) and then see it fly... and then.. see it on the course!!!

I gotta admit, I've not been a real jet class fan in the past, but the difference in types we're seeing now has some real lure!

Attached Files
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                        ...in the Viper/Vampire (jury still out on which this jet actually is) ...
                        How cool is it to actually see one of these for the first time (for me) and then see it fly... and then.. see it on the course!!!

I gotta admit, I've not been a real jet class fan in the past, but the difference in types we're seeing now has some real lure!

I believe what ya got there is a two seater training version of the DeHavilland Vampire. First jet in service up here in Canada. Still got a couple in the Canadian Aviation museum - small jet, you can walk up and look down into the cockpit (well, you can if you talk nice to the security people and they let you past the rope). Balsa and plywood construction (developed in the Mosquito) - the original stealth fighter.

Totally agree that jet class is evolving into something interesting; man, would I love to see THAT jet go around the sticks. Sadly, already burned off all my vacation time this year- no Reno 2009 - gotta get retired soon so I can get on with my life

cheers
                        Low

Comment

Originally posted by Bigger Al View Post
                          We are looking forward to another BBQ this year in September!
                          I guess we should start organizing the BBQ. Dates? Time? Pleace...ect

Eric
                          Cheers

Comment

dang that vampire took 4ever to take of....it took from the start of the runway to the second windsock...lol...well that little yak looked good...i think i have a new favorite if bear dont fly
                            http://www.rarebear.com

chris

Comment

Vampires are cool. I think there is one that lives in Paso Robles. It will be cool to see how it does this year.

Will

Comment

Working...
                              X