Old pics from backside of the course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old pics from backside of the course

Disclaimer! These Photos were taken during a time when people were allowed to spectate from the back side of the course. Do not Jeopardize the future of the Races and attempt to view from this location.

I debated about posting this picture, but as we were lucky enough to have Steve Hinton survive this, I figured it would be okay. If anyone is seriously bothered I will take it down. I have a hard time looking at it as well.

Last edited by flyingjibus; 06-20-2009, 12:59 PM.

Re: Old pics from backside of the course

Awesome photos! Thanks for taking the time to post them here for all of us to enjoy!
    Does anyone know who Race #20 was and if the Mustang is still around?
    Seeing the Baron makes me wish I could have been old enough to be able to see it run the course. I've only heard my dad talk about watching her race and seeing it go down that dreadful day.
    Thanks again!
    James

Comment

John Wright flew race 20 look all like 1979 Shawn

Comment

Amazing photos, and the fact that Steve Hinton survived that accident is truely a miracle.

LP

Comment

Freaking Great shots FJB!!!!
          "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Originally posted by N29131 View Post
            Awesome photos! Thanks for taking the time to post them here for all of us to enjoy!
            Does anyone know who Race #20 was and if the Mustang is still around?
            Seeing the Baron makes me wish I could have been old enough to be able to see it run the course. I've only heard my dad talk about watching her race and seeing it go down that dreadful day.
            Thanks again!
            James
            As Shawn said, Race 20 was John Wright. In 1982 he crashed this mustang in Elko. I believe he and his wife both died in that crash.

P-51 Mustang Survivors: Survivor Home. World War II, North American P-51A, P-51B, P-51C, P-51D, P-51H, F-51D, F-51H Mustang survivor in civilian ownership

Comment

John Wright also raced the Roto Finish mustang too. Shawn

Comment

Awesome shots, love the one of the B-17
                Russ
                Knotty Girl Crew

Comment

Originally posted by 3dWrightBrother View Post
                  Awesome shots, love the one of the B-17
                  Russ
                  Yaz. Me too.

Was that B-17 photo from the same time period as the Red Baron's shots? I didn't see Sentimental Journey at Stead until around 1982 or '83 myself. I didn't know it had attended in the late 70's too.

Comment

it used to be an old fire bomber it just started comming to airshows between 1978 and 1979 Shawn

Comment

The first pic is pretty interesting. Fairly sure it's 1979. From left to right: Bob hoover in Ol' Yeller. Mike Wright in Phillipine Mustang. (below) Earl Ketchen in Habu? Looks like there's to much white paint. Dan Martin in Ridge Runner. Roy McClain in Jeannie. John Crocker in Sumthin Else. Steve Hinton in the Red Baron. I remember 1979 well, as it was my first trip up to the ridge. What an awesome viewing area!!! Thanks for posting these pics, it sure rekindled some great memories!
                      "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Oops! John Wright in the Phillipine Mustang, not Mike Wright.........my bad.......also upon further research the third from left isn't Earl Ketchen. Anyone know?
                        Last edited by t-dub; 06-22-2009, 02:42 PM.
                        "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

I was thinking maybe that Mustang below John Wright is Clay Klabo, Race 85 (Fat Cat aka Iron Mistress).
                          Thanx for the pics...brings back lots of memories.

Comment

how Bob love in Jack Hovey mustang number 2 and John Herliy in his Bearcat race 98 Shawn am i excuded

Comment

ok here i go looks like Max Hoffman Boomer and BoomerII flown by Bill Harrison witch was race 49 owned by the late Ed Weiner and also has Gary Levits in Double Troble and Loyld Hamiton Clay Klabo is in there should keep going Shawn

Comment

Working...
                              X