R3350-powered sled puller!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R3350-powered sled puller!

Talk about finding new uses for surplus radials! Pop a Curtis-Wright R3350 18-cylinder monster in the front of your sled-pull tractor and show them newbie drivers what "real power" means!

Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dr4F...eature=related

P.S....Interestingly, when the engine is idling, listening to the sound you'd swear Rare Bear was somewhere nearby doing a warm-up. No propeller necessary...

Re: R3350-powered sled puller!

Wow... pretty impressive.. here's another.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djKxw...eature=related not sure if the same engine or not but they sure seem to be running a lot higher RPM than air race power...
    • Good to see old HP being exposed to the public...
    • Bad to see the parts inventory depleted in a sport where weight isn't a factor...

bet these guys can burn through parts pretty quickly!

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

How are they cooling the cylinders? No prop wash and definatly not enough forward motion for sufficient airflow.
      Is it just "runner 'til she blowed up" and slap another one in there?

I hope not! Rather see them in airframes!

The first link did sound way cool though.

B2

Comment

Be great to have one of those at the Sat nite tug races if we still had sat nite tug races.

Comment

I remember watching these as a kid, maybe i gave it up too soon

Comment

Hopefully they are using engine parts that are timed-out, or no longer considered air-worthy, though still usable.

Or at least using engine versions/models of the 3350 that are not the most idea for pylon racing aircraft.

Comment

Here's another that's quite impressive - Dragon Fire. Powered by a Russian Zvezda, a marine radial diesel that has been converted to gas (or alchohol?). It's a six-row, 42-cylinder liquid-cooled radial with roughly 3350-sized cylinder dimensions.

Dragon Fire with a fast Full Pull in the 5,4t modified. Verl 2008-06-29.

I'm not a big pulling fan, but the presence round engines add some interest, IMHO. I bet Dragon Fire sounds great live.

Comment

I was looking for that Monster. I had seen it before and foound it again here.

bunch of pictures of engine and build up

Comment

I remember discussing that beast here before.

That's one engine that will never fly...12,000 pounds! Ouch!

Here's the 42-cyl marine engine's specs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSC_Zvezda_M503
                  Last edited by AirDOGGe; 06-17-2009, 05:19 PM.

Comment

I seem to recall coming across a P&W R-4360 pulling tractor somewhere on the 'net, but can't find it now. It was pretty awesome. Anyone else come across it?

Comment

Working...
                    X