Angels on "Myth-Busters" in 2 days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angels on "Myth-Busters" in 2 days

The Blues will be flying on Myth-Busters Wednesday, June 10.

They will be making super-sonic passes at low altitude over the desert to see if they can shatter glass with the resulting shockwave.

Details posted at Aero-News Network. Here's a link...

link: http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?C...-3db867c52d90&

Re: Angels on "Myth-Busters" in 2 days

Will Adam and Jamie show us their bleeding ears?

Don

Go Bear!

Comment

i think the angels are navy.........

Comment

But I believe the test range they were at was part of the Marine base. Also, I think some of the Blue's come from the Marines.

Comment

Usually, at least one B.A. pilot is a marine.

I discovered that in the 80's when the Blues were here for Fleet Week, performing in San Francisco in their A-4's.

There were only 5 planes in the formation that year, because, they stated, the lone Marine pilot had been recalled for some unknown reason.

They still flew the delta formation, but with one plane missing from the lower left or right corner of the triangle formation.

Comment

Well a long time ago @the Cleveland Air races there was a Marine pilot by the name of Marion Carl and when asked to join the BA he said as long as there will be at least one marine pilot always he would do it. So the story goes. Therefore one pilot is a Marine.
            Lockheed Bob

Comment

That should be some good TV, but we already know that a sonic boom will break glass. When I was kid in the 50's my parents would take us to airshows at Oakland, Alameda. The Blues would do a 6 plane crossover over the crowd at low alt breaking the sound barrier. It scared the crap out of everybody, but is was awsome. I have the newspaper clippings about the residents complaining about broken windows after the airshows.

Comment

The Marine Corps is part of the department of the Navy. So its only natural they share their recruiting tool.
                CFI/CFII/MEI
                www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
                www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

Originally posted by Plane Nuts View Post
                  That should be some good TV, but we already know that a sonic boom will break glass. When I was kid in the 50's my parents would take us to airshows at Oakland, Alameda. The Blues would do a 6 plane crossover over the crowd at low alt breaking the sound barrier. It scared the crap out of everybody, but is was awsome. I have the newspaper clippings about the residents complaining about broken windows after the airshows.

I'm sure they were loud, but not super-sonic. Very doubtful.

The F9F-8 Cougars the Blue Angles flew until 1957 topped out at 640 mph. After '57 they flew Grumman F11F-1 Tigers which could barely make mach 1.1 in the thin air of 35,000 feet.

Perhaps it was the roar of the latter's afterburners (high decible sound waves) that caused the broken windows. A BOOM isn't always necessary.

P.S.....Always loved the 6-plane cross-over. I get chills up my spine every time!
                  Last edited by AirDOGGe; 06-09-2009, 09:23 PM.

Comment

I was down at a show at Pt. Mugu in the mid 80's and one of the F-4's from the base went super sonic. I don't know about any broken windows but it set off every car alarm in the parking lot! Heard later the guy got in some hot water for it.

Comment

They aired the program again. Here's a clip of what happened when Adam went along for the ride

Comment

Yeah, it's a fun episode, enjoy.

$
                        Last edited by split-s; 10-11-2009, 11:49 AM. Reason: Beaten to the punch
                        "Man was meant to fly -- the earth is for worms!"
                        Martin Caidin

Comment

Working...
                        X