Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help - Digital SLR Camera Recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - Digital SLR Camera Recommendation?

Need help from the Reno photography masters

I'm looking to upgrade my digital camera equipment for the races in September. Budget is about $500-$800, looking at the Nikon and Canon SLR's, something that will work for ramp and action shots and also for general use (outdoor scenery, kid's activities) in life away from Reno (is there such a thing?)

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated -- many thanks in advance

Re: Help - Digital SLR Camera Recommendation?

I purchased a Sony A200 for my wife and am very impressed with the camera. It's an entry level camera that uses the old Konica/Minolta A mount lens system(Sony bought them out) which gives you a broad range of available new and used lenses that you can find at most camera shops. The camera is 10.2 MP and can be bought for about 500.00 and comes with a 18-70mm/3.5-5.6 lens. I bought a new Sigma 100-300mm zoom lens for it for under 200.00. For an entry level camera, it takes beautiful shots, has a nice comfortable feel, and an easy to use layout. If this is what you're looking for, I think you'll be satisfied. Happy shooting!...............
    "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

I have a spare nikon D1

Originally posted by KB Adkins View Post
      Need help from the Reno photography masters

I'm looking to upgrade my digital camera equipment for the races in September. Budget is about $500-$800, looking at the Nikon and Canon SLR's, something that will work for ramp and action shots and also for general use (outdoor scenery, kid's activities) in life away from Reno (is there such a thing?)

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated -- many thanks in advance
      with battery and charger (no lens) that Ill sell to you for $150.00 (yes it works)

Comment

Originally posted by t-dub View Post
        I purchased a Sony A200 for my wife and am very impressed with the camera. It's an entry level camera that uses the old Konica/Minolta A mount lens system(Sony bought them out) which gives you a broad range of available new and used lenses that you can find at most camera shops. The camera is 10.2 MP and can be bought for about 500.00 and comes with a 18-70mm/3.5-5.6 lens. I bought a new Sigma 100-300mm zoom lens for it for under 200.00. For an entry level camera, it takes beautiful shots, has a nice comfortable feel, and an easy to use layout. If this is what you're looking for, I think you'll be satisfied. Happy shooting!...............
        +1 on the Sony equipment.

I have a Minolta (before Sony bought them out) and am very pleased with the quality and user-friendliness. Not to mention I can use all of my lenses from the 32mm days with any Sony body. I'll be upgrading to a newer Sony soon, so thanks for the review.

Tommy

Comment

Me Personally, I like Canon Gear, I sell mainly Canon gear in my job as a photographic equipment sales consultant, and out of all the brands ( we carry Canon Nikon Pentax and Olympus. Sony here in NZ doesnt want to know my store) Our sales standings are Canon, Pentax, Nikon then Olympus. The majority of our customers come to us asking for Canon as that is what their personal research tells them will suit what they need.
          I personally use a Canon EOS 300D/D-Rebel. Ive had the body since 2005 and it has just clicked through 55,000 frames with NO reliability issues or Dust issues and i have been in some dusty places with it.
          A really good option for you might be the Nikon D-5000 with 2 lenses, maybe the 18-55 VR and a longer Tele lens like a Sigma 120-400mm OS HSM that would give you a pretty good range for everyday & Airshow work. or maybe even have a look at the new Pentax K7 when it arrives in the next month or so.. It is 14.6mp, 5fps in body Anti Shake, and the body is weather sealed... the 18-55mm kit lens is also the new Weather Sealed version. And if you can get your hands on some, it is compatible with ANY old Pentax Lens including screw mount, and medium format lenses with the right adapters.

My 3rd choice would probably be the Canon EOS 450D/ Rebel XTi with a couple of lenses. or an Olympus E-620 with the Zuiko Digital 14-42mm & maybe the 50-200mm lenses... remembering that Olympus 4/3 technology has a 2x crop factor so the lenses equate to 28-84 & 100-400mm

Thats my options
          race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Help - Digital SLR Camera Recommendation?

Sorry to take so long to reply to those that helped me with my digital camera selection -- thank you for your suggestions!

I ended up buying the Canon Digital Rebel XSi 12.2 (EOS 450D), and now need to get a telephoto lens for the races. Any additional recommendations on what type and size for of lens for shots from the pits and stands? I'm looking at the Canon EF-S 55-250mm for about $250.00, but I'm open to looking at non-Canon products as well?

Thanks -- appreciate the help from the experts!

Comment

A little on the spendy side but the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM is the ultimate air show lens. Just look around when you get to Reno and see how many of us are out there with that lense. There are also a few folks using the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM with the 1.4 or 2x extender. Maybe you could rent one from a Reno camera shop to see if it fits your style
              Last edited by Stevo; 09-10-2009, 06:11 PM.
              Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
              My Photos
              My Ride

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
                A little on the spendy side but the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM is the ultimate air show lens. Just look around when you get to Reno and see how many of us are out there with that lense. There are also a few folks using the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM with the 1.4 or 2x extender. Maybe you could rent one from a Reno camera shop to see if it fits your style
                I too have the 100-400. It's expensive but I love it.

Jarrod

Comment

Bought a Canon T1i for the family, so far it's turning out to be a great camera. 15 mega pix and HD video, Jeff has shot both video of drag racing and some from an air show and with a steady hand the movies are great.

Lenses for Reno: a good wide angle 17 or 18mm in the pits, for the ramp 100-200mm range and for flying hopefully at least 400mm

we've bought "other" brand lenses but in the end it just was a waste of money.

NIKON and Canon are both great, it's up to your skill and pocketbook.
                  http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                  http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Working...
                  X