Dead stick take off : )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead stick take off : )

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Re: Dead stick take off : )

That was a pretty stupid thing to do. Darwinism at it's best.

Comment

I agree. It is in par with those dudes who fly wingsuits off the cliff.

It also shows how big factor earth's gravity is. I bet that plane has those huge wheels bushflyers usually have.

Comment

Actually, I'm glad I let a couple folks respond before mine.. Reminds me of something a really good "Southern Aviator" said to me once.. "you know what the most often heard last words of a southern aviator are?" he asked?

No, I dumbly said...

"HEY YA'LL WATCH THIS!"

He was one, that's what he said about "them".. accent noted in video.. I wasn't there, and I don't want to pass judgement but this might fall fall under the category of an "it seemed like a good idea at the time" item...

That said, in every walk of lifel, calculated risks are taken by skilled individuals every day, for various reasons.. I'm not sure what was going on here, and I'm not passing on any judgement... it all worked out well, I'm sure a lot of thought went into the mission..

Not something I'd ride along with but would be willing to witness and photograph..

What can I say.. it's what we do..

Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Well, I am passing judgement. The guy is an idiot and it's only a matter of time before he kills himself. There is so little margin for error in what he does. Check out some of his other videos as well, as it shows equally stupid stunts. The fact that he's filming it tells me his motivation. Typically people who film themselves doing stupid stunts such as this, tend to take more risk each time they "document" themselves with the next stunt. He is addicted to it and it will get progressively dicier each time, until he kills himself. I'm not one to tattle on people, but I wouldn't mind seeing what the FAA's reaction would be to seeing what he does.

If this were something for a one time occasion, like filming for a movie by professional pilots that would be one thing, but that guy says he has done some 7,000 landings on cliffs and plateaus. On one of his other videos, there is a point where he almost packs it in and kills himself. You can tell by the tone of his voice in the video, that he thought he was done. That close call even scared the crap out of him.

Mountain flying can be very, very dangerous. The turbulence and updrafts/downdrafts, high density altitude, and unpredictability of that type of flying can all create situations where the recovery/escape route might exceed the performance of the aircraft. If you don't believe me, then tell me what happened to Steve Fossett.
          Last edited by dvddude; 06-04-2009, 03:27 AM.

Comment

everyone can say what they want ,but as a bush pilot myself I get flaq from other pilot who live in the states that just dont understand or just have a differnt view of what flying should be, I think it was a good demonstration of aircraft and pilot skill.to each his own cause if we all thought the same way flying would prob suck.

Comment

Originally posted by f1-69 View Post
              everyone can say what they want ,but as a bush pilot myself I get flaq from other pilot who live in the states that just dont understand or just have a differnt view of what flying should be, I think it was a good demonstration of aircraft and pilot skill.to each his own cause if we all thought the same way flying would prob suck.
              Perhaps so, but that video is NOT bush flying. He is taking risks for no reason. At least with bush flying you are providing a critical service - whether providing food, medical supplies, or transporting people who otherwise couldn't travel. Bush flying is risky, but the rewards are worth the payoff. Besides providing a cool video, what reward is given for the flying in the video?

Comment

Well it tells something about the design and its capabilities.

Highlander here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u32Pze2ASQ&feature=fvw

Comment

Well, that may be the one deadstick move that has NOT ever been performed at Stead Field.
                  _________
                  -Matt
                  Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

I think it's as cool as can be. I might not do it, but it is still cool.

Comment

I agree with the above. Pretty cool.

Comment

Funny all the negative responses coming from fans and supporters of THE most dangerous form of racing.... Taking risk? Dangerous? What website is this again? Give me a break here.

Thats pure Pilot skills, its cool as hell and I would do it any time. Thats real flying. Pure skills, nobody else there, nobody to impress, just you, the plane and the back country.
                        CFI/CFII/MEI
                        www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
                        www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

Originally posted by Inverted View Post
                          Funny all the negative responses coming from fans and supporters of THE most dangerous form of racing.... Taking risk? Dangerous? What website is this again? Give me a break here.

Thats pure Pilot skills, its cool as hell and I would do it any time. Thats real flying. Pure skills, nobody else there, nobody to impress, just you, the plane and the back country.
                          I was thinking the same thing. This looked roughly on par with extreme hang-gliding, and unlimited air racing seems way riskier in the health department! I am impressed with both this demonstration AND Air Racing, and my hat goes off to all these pilots - pure guts and skill!! Just my $.02 though.

Comment

never been a fan of low and slow

...mach 2 however...is just as crazy!

Comment

There is a HUGE difference between Reno Air Racing and what that guy is doing. First off, there are VERY high standards for being a race pilot, as there are checkouts, briefings, PRS, etc. In addition, a lot of people have "perfected" Reno air racing to greatly mitigate the risk over the last 45 years. Yes, accidents do happen from time to time, but it is a professional endeavor, with professional training and checkouts done in a very methodical, meticulous, professional manner with great attention to detail. Reno Air Race pilots are not some barely private or possibly sport pilot as this guy seems to be out "freelancing" something for the first time with no training. I wonder how much research and analysis that guy did to determine if it was safe to do what he did. He sure didn't give the impression that he put much thought into what he was doing. From his videos and his comments on the youtube link, he gives the impression that he's some wild cowboy pilot just doing some "ass-shining" for fun. Is that the way a professional pilot acts when operating so close to the edge of the envelope? Do Reno air race pilots act in the same mentality and attitude? THAT is the difference.

Pure skills, nobody else there, nobody to impress, just you, the plane and the back country.
                              If there is "nobody to impress", then why is he filming it and putting it on one of the most heavily trafficked video sites in the world for everyone to see? Obviously he IS trying to impress. If he didn't, then he would keep the video to himself.

Comment

Working...
                              X