HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!!

I hopped on the Collings Foundation's B17 today. What an experience!!! The plane was beautiful and as far as I know, restored to mint condition. A crew of three, Pilot, Co-pilot, and Third Guy to guide the ten ride alongs, were in the air for about 30 minutes. Weather was perfect. We strapped in to the original crew seats (a cushion and a seat belt strategically anchored to the floor in a position to optomise little space) taxied out and took off. Four 1820's working together put out some real WOW power. After we lifted off and the gear was up the Third Guy came through and signaled for us to unstrap and run around. And that is what we did. I was in the back with the waist guns, in the middle hanging my head out the hatch on top that they left open in the radio room. A little further forward and the observation bubble, then in the cockpit, and then all the way up in the bombadier's seat where the Third Guy took pictures of us. The only places we couldn't go were the tail gunner, the turret on the bottom (wouldn't have wanted to go in either anyway) and the pilot's seat. About the time we were setting up the approach, the Third Guy had us sit back down on the floor seats and strap in. I don't think I've ever felt a smoother landing. I heard the screach of the tires and felt the drag, but that's it. Priceless experience for those of you that take the opportunity. I took 236 pictures looking frontwards, backwards, sideways, up and down.

However , when I got home and put the pix on the computer, I found out that when I tweaked some menu settings the other day, I inadvertently set the camera to use NEF format. AAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!! I know how to navigate my way using JPEG and CS3 pretty well but I know nothing about RAW. Can I convert the files to JPEG? I really don't want the pictures of my ride to be 2.36GB of thumbnails.
    Last edited by Ken from PG; 05-31-2009, 11:52 PM.

Re: HELP!!!

Hey Ken, sounds like a great experience! I once got a ride on the Evergreen B-17 and it was in the tail, pretty sweet, I spent the entire ride there..

On the .nef files.. If it's Nikon (I think NEF's are) there should be a .jpg file embedded in it.. there's a free download somewhere, google embedded .jpg in .nef file and you will probably get a good start. If I can find the program (I have it somewhere on my puter) I'll fire off the link for it..
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I think this is it.. http://drchung.new21.net/previewextractor/

Good luck!
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Thanks. I'll give it a try.
        Last edited by Ken from PG; 06-01-2009, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Works, thanks Wayne. I'll put up more pics when I get more time.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Ken from PG; 06-01-2009, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken from PG View Post
            I hopped on the Collings Foundation's B17 today. What an experience!!! The plane was beautiful and as far as I know, restored to mint condition. A crew of three, Pilot, Co-pilot, and Third Guy to guide the ten ride alongs, were in the air for about 30 minutes. Weather was perfect. We strapped in to the original crew seats (a cushion and a seat belt strategically anchored to the floor in a position to optomise little space) taxied out and took off. Four 1820's working together put out some real WOW power. After we lifted off and the gear was up the Third Guy came through and signaled for us to unstrap and run around. And that is what we did. I was in the back with the waist guns, in the middle hanging my head out the hatch on top that they left open in the radio room. A little further forward and the observation bubble, then in the cockpit, and then all the way up in the bombadier's seat where the Third Guy took pictures of us. The only places we couldn't go were the tail gunner, the turret on the bottom (wouldn't have wanted to go in either anyway) and the pilot's seat. About the time we were setting up the approach, the Third Guy had us sit back down on the floor seats and strap in. I don't think I've ever felt a smoother landing. I heard the screach of the tires and felt the drag, but that's it. Priceless experience for those of you that take the opportunity. I took 236 pictures looking frontwards, backwards, sideways, up and down.

However , when I got home and put the pix on the computer, I found out that when I tweaked some menu settings the other day, I inadvertently set the camera to use NEF format. AAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!! I know how to navigate my way using JPEG and CS3 pretty well but I know nothing about RAW. Can I convert the files to JPEG? I really don't want the pictures of my ride to be 2.36GB of thumbnails.
            Jpeg?????????? What's that????????????

Comment

Very funny Tim. Something we can talk about come September, or maybe in a couple of weeks if you get out this way for PRS

Comment

No PRS for me, but I will be in Yosemite in nine days!!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Adams View Post
                  I will be in Yosemite in nine days!!
                  Enjoy and bring lots of mosquito repellent. Put up a couple of OT pics when you get them.

Comment

Working...
                  X