• Show
Clear All

• The f14 tomcat

One the greatest ever fighter planes it's retired now
    Will the all be gone to the junk yard?
    Or will their be some in private hands
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAUwUtJVnOI

Re: The f14 tomcat

None will be going in private hands. That's already been made clear.

The government doesn't want ANY F-14 parts potentially going to any rogue states possessing F-14s (read that as Iran).

Comment

I agree, none will be going into private hands ever, if the U.S. government has anything to do with it. They have already confiscated at least 2 F-14's from private civilian owners with well established museums and credentials and still have the airplanes, never to return them.

A short time before the F-14 retired, Dale Snodgrass - the highest F-14 time pilot in the world and famous demo pilot for the Navy - was working on a deal with the U.S. Navy. He was trying to get the Navy to release a few F-14's to private individuals and highly accredited museums. The goal was that he and a few other former F-14 pilots were going to fly the airplanes as part of a Naval heritage flight at airshows. During the off-season and times the birds weren't being used for displays and airshows, they were going to be contracted to be used by the Navy for adverserial training, Test Pilot School, etc. Even after this well thought-out plan with very solid financial backing was presented to the Navy, they said absolutely no way. If "Mr. F-14, Snort" Snodgrass couldn't do it with all of his experience and connections, nobody in the world can do it. I'm afraid it's a lost cause. The only way to see an F-14 fly these days, would be to go to Iran, as that's the last country currently flying them.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, by what criteria is the F-14 one of the "greatest fighter planes"?

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin View Post
          Just out of curiosity, by what criteria is the F-14 one of the "greatest fighter planes"?
          You are obviously someone who never saw "Top Gun"....

Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

But Randy, I gotta say, the year the F-14 came down show center, from left to right, full delta crackling on the edge of SS, whipped into a tight left turn and as the wings unswept, did a very tight 360 around P-1... Pretty damn impressive!
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

The D model F-14 was very capable and impressive in the role it was designed for--not the close-in dogfighting that that Tom Cruise recruiting film portrayed. But for long-range and point defense of a carrier battlegroup, being able to 'reach out and touch someone' with the long-range of the Phoenix, dogfight close-in if necessary...and still be able to land on an aircraft carrier at the end of the day, it was unmatched.

I'm sure that there are a few F-15 and F-22 pilots that would have a thing to say about it's dogfighting ability...but I bet there are more than a few D model drivers who could more than hold their own, let alone hand some overconfident Eagle-driver their head on a platter because they were just a bit cocky about the last time they went up against an F-14A.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin View Post

Its the Biggest!!

I love the B-14!

Comment

From Barnstormers.com...........

F-14 TOMCAT COCKPIT. • $24,000 • AVAILABLE FOR SALE • The only F-14 cockpit in private hands in the world that was sold to a civilian in long Island, NY by GRUMMAN (you will get a copy / original invoice) when the plant was closed.was on Grumman floor for years as a wiring practice cockpit.$20K invested (have documents) in metal work, trailer etc.Mobile - you can drive it away to finish the work.The canopy closed and open easy on air shocks not hooked up in the picture but you'll get it finished. Will only sell to US Citizen residing in the US (must prove with documents) and must sign EUC for the DOD. EMAILS ONLY!! EMAIL FOR MORE IMAGES. • Contact Arye Sachs, Owner - located West Hempstead, NY USA • Telephone: 917.647.7948 . • Posted May 20, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                    You are obviously someone who never saw "Top Gun"....

Comment

Originally posted by retroaviation View Post
                      From Barnstormers.com...........

F-14 TOMCAT COCKPIT. • $24,000 • AVAILABLE FOR SALE • The only F-14 cockpit in private hands in the world that was sold to a civilian in long Island, NY by GRUMMAN (you will get a copy / original invoice) when the plant was closed.was on Grumman floor for years as a wiring practice cockpit.$20K invested (have documents) in metal work, trailer etc.Mobile - you can drive it away to finish the work.The canopy closed and open easy on air shocks not hooked up in the picture but you'll get it finished. Will only sell to US Citizen residing in the US (must prove with documents) and must sign EUC for the DOD. EMAILS ONLY!! EMAIL FOR MORE IMAGES. • Contact Arye Sachs, Owner - located West Hempstead, NY USA • Telephone: 917.647.7948 . • Posted May 20, 2009

It's up to $28,000 now, though just by looking at it, I suspect there are few original parts left. The nose cone and the "air shocks" that support the canopy don't look/sound like original f-14 items.

Here's the eBay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/F-14-TOMCAT-COCK...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Based on the lack of real instruments, I'm guessing that used to be a cockpit procedures trainer -- a mockup used by pilots/RIOs to learn and practice checklist procedures before they started flying the Tomgrape.

Comment

Nice tail lights....

Comment

Man, I'd be worried if I owned that. The Goverment will confiscate that once they find out about it's existance. The Iranian's would be able to use it as a simulator for their F-14's. Or use it as a spare parts source.

We'll be in big trouble if the Iranian's pick up a couple of P-51's. Then the Government will have to confiscate all the surviving P-51's to keep parts from falling into the Iranian's hands.

Comment

Working...
                            X