I was wondering when this would surface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I was wondering when this would surface

The description mentions the RP-4. I know there was a thread on this a while back, just wondering if anyone has some more recent info.

Comment

How on earth do they think they will get someone to lease something that has never never flown?

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
        How on earth do they think they will get someone to lease something that has never never flown?
        I know that the current economic situation has changed this somewhat, but...'A fool and his money shall soon part.'

I think that only a fool would lay down bigs bucks to field an untested experiment.

LP

Unless it is a proven design, and I just simply don't know any better.

Comment

I like it, I think it'll fly and I think it will go fast. If I had tons of dough I'd try it out just to see how it works. Out on El Mirage would be a lot of fun...
          Remember what they used to say about the F-104 that everyone loves to see fly?!
          Oh, didn't Dave Rose fly F-104's?

Comment

I see several issues, first someone has to fly off the required time to receive the appropriate airworthiness certificate, second, PRS must be completed, third, the Reno history of very exotic designs is not a good one unfortunately.......

It might be a great design, but simply leasing it for $20K and racing a Reno is a huge oversimplication.
            F1 Race 98 & 99

Comment

here ya go

Originally posted by 5150 View Post
              The description mentions the RP-4. I know there was a thread on this a while back, just wondering if anyone has some more recent info.

Comment

ill fly it,but you know me jump now train later,the tail look kinda small for 5000 hp

Comment

Has this thing flow at full speed???
                  The propeller looks rather small for that kind of power especially since it is in the body boundary layer, wake of the body, etc.

Bryan

Comment

neither one has flown

Originally posted by bflynt View Post
                    Has this thing flow at full speed???
                    The propeller looks rather small for that kind of power especially since it is in the body boundary layer, wake of the body, etc.

Bryan
                    the first has fast taxied the second one scares the jeebuz out of me.

Comment

- "Renegade" -

Originally posted by stuntflyr View Post
                      I like it, I think it'll fly and I think it will go fast. If I had tons of dough I'd try it out just to see how it works. Out on El Mirage would be a lot of fun...
                      Remember what they used to say about the F-104 that everyone loves to see fly?!
                      Oh, didn't Dave Rose fly F-104's?
                      Oh, I agree that it's most likely flies, possible quite well, and it looks like it would be fast too.

The question is, will it hold together at speed (remember the ill-fated BD-10(s)) and will it handle safely in roll and pitch while pull "gee" around the pylons? It looks like high roll rates may be the norm for this narrow-span bird...

Heck, nobody even knows if the 1200 HP (car?) engine will survive an entire race under full power or not...There isn't a car race in the world where an auto's engine has to produce that much power for several minutes continuously, and car engines don't suffer the same vibration issues as prop-turners either.

---------

- "RP-4" -

Originally posted by f1-69 View Post
                      ill fly it,but you know me jump now train later,the tail look kinda small for 5000 hp
                      Agreed. Prop torque issues and roll-coupling of the early F-100s do come to mind.

However, (1) the small diameter props don't look like they would generate much torque, (2) the counter-rotating set-up should cancel any remaining prop-torque issues, and (3) the long fuselage should give the relatively small tail feathers greater authority (though I personally feel they should be at least a LITTLE taller/wider...),

That, and I don't think the plane will come anywhere near the transonic speeds where roll-coupling normally becomes an issue, unless they take it up high and dive it, that is.

I just wanna see it fly, period. That alone will be a sight!

Comment

Holy Smokes! Looks like a Top Fuel chassis with wings and a fan!

Comment

If it was a turn key racer thats one thing. But the 20k is the cheapest part of that project. Hell the thing doesnt even look flyable yet. Theres no way in hell that thing will lease.
                          CFI/CFII/MEI
                          www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
                          www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
                            - "Renegade" -

Oh, I agree that it's most likely flies, possible quite well, and it looks like it would be fast too.

The question is, will it hold together at speed (remember the ill-fated BD-10(s)) and will it handle safely in roll and pitch while pull "gee" around the pylons? It looks like high roll rates may be the norm for this narrow-span bird...

Heck, nobody even knows if the 1200 HP (car?) engine will survive an entire race under full power or not...There isn't a car race in the world where an auto's engine has to produce that much power for several minutes continuously, and car engines don't suffer the same vibration issues as prop-turners either.

---------

- "RP-4" -

Agreed. Prop torque issues and roll-coupling of the early F-100s do come to mind.

However, (1) the small diameter props don't look like they would generate much torque, (2) the counter-rotating set-up should cancel any remaining prop-torque issues, and (3) the long fuselage should give the relatively small tail feathers greater authority (though I personally feel they should be at least a LITTLE taller/wider...),

That, and I don't think the plane will come anywhere near the transonic speeds where roll-coupling normally becomes an issue, unless they take it up high and dive it, that is.

I just wanna see it fly, period. That alone will be a sight!

Torque is an understatement. you have an engine as powerful as a P-51 on a chassis thats 1/4 the weight. The mustang has enough torque roll issues by its self.

I wouldnt get near that plane unless I saw some wind tunnel data.
                            CFI/CFII/MEI
                            www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
                            www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

I think of WC Fields line about women

"Women are like Elephants, like to look at them, wouldn't want to own one"

As close as I would get to that thing is looking

Comment

Working...
                              X