Close Mig Encounter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close Mig Encounter

Amazing this one flew away from sure disaster. I've attached the original text that goes with the picture ~~ Whew

Cloudchaser

MIG Drag

Best I can remember, this was 1990 at an air show in Harrison , Arkansas . Kelly, who was a technician for the FAA and somewhat of a camera buff, was there and following this guy flying the MiG-15 with his camera. The pilot had just completed a loop and misjudged his altitude. Everyone thought he was plowing into the ground and began running, but Kelly didn't have the perspective of the proximity to the ground, so just as the MiG scraped the ground, Kelly snapped the shot. A clear, once in a lifetime (almost death) photograph that would have won untold awards had it been circulated at the time. Kelly was in Fort Smith a few weeks after the air show and he was showing me these pictures he had developed at Walmart. I asked him for a copy and now have it hanging on my office wall – a clear depiction of the difference between life and death.

Oh…the guy pulled out of it and came around and landed. He dug a 12” ditch with his tailpipe.
    Last edited by Cloudchaser427; 11-30-2010, 09:25 AM.

Re: Close Mig Encounter

That's completely UN #@%&$ BELIEVABLE! You've heard of "Rogaine" hair raising moments right? This shot qualifies as a "Depends" $hit your pants moment without question............
    "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

We have that picture hanging up on our IAC wall. I forgot the caption but its something like "Check your altitude before each maneuver entry" lol
      CFI/CFII/MEI
      www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
      www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

I wonder if anyone ever flew "deeper" and got away with it. I heard about the Thunderchiefs bouncing from the seabed but this outflies that for sure !
        http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Now this Mig is certainly experiencing some "Ground effect"
          (ha ha)

Cloudchaser427

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmmm........

Loop with the flaps down?

Looks more like a take off/ landing pull the gear handle too quick shot to me?!

Wonder if the Mig's have a squat switch? RG
            Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
            RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Reminds me of Giora Epstein encounter with Mig-21 about 36 years ago.

Egyptian MiG-21crazy pilot's escape from a chasing Israel mirage.flv
              http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by RandyGoss75 View Post
                Hmmmmmmmmmm........

Loop with the flaps down?

Looks more like a take off/ landing pull the gear handle too quick shot to me?!

Wonder if the Mig's have a squat switch? RG
                This has been discussed on WIX before, and I want to think that someone mentioned that the Mig has some kind of automatic system to deploy the flaps when it gets below a certain speed, or something like that. I don't know enough about the Mig to know for sure, but that's just what I "think" I remember.

Gary

Comment

There are a bunch of theorys on that issue. My theory as a pilot is he wanted to increase the angle of attack on that wing with the flaps, thus being able to load the wing up harder without stalling and pull out of the loop.

I also read some reports he actually went full power as well.
                  CFI/CFII/MEI
                  www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
                  www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

Working...
                  X