X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AKA White Lightnin

Click "Aircraft" for more photos

Re: AKA White Lightnin

Well that was nice of them. The Redbull site shows a photo of White Lightning in her original racing form and paint. Good show.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
      Well that was nice of them. The Redbull site shows a photo of White Lightning in her original racing form and paint. Good show.

I didn't find that photo of N25Y in it's Mobil Red Pegasus paint from 1947 Miami Air races. That is it's original racing scheme.

Comment

nit-picker...
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

What year did White Lightning actually become THE White Lightnin ?
          http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Juke View Post
            What year did White Lightning actually become THE White Lightnin ?
            Marvin bought the plane back in the 60\'s, and originally brought it to Reno, along with Revis Sermon\'s Scatterbrain Kid to play with in 1970 as Race 25 (N25Y). But they did not race again until Reno 1976 when the field was decimated as a result of some incidents at Mojave three months prior, and some unfortunate mechanical failures enroute to the races. They were down to just 12 planes on Wednesday of qualifying. Lefty had the P-38 there to do the aerobatics, and had the Mustang there to race, but RARA convinced him and a couple of the CAF guys there for the Tora Tora routine
            to enter the plane for fun.

They had so much fun with the 38 that after winning the 76 race in the Mustang, the 38 became the \'primary\' racing machine...just to go out and fly low around the course with. I don\'t think it was actually named White Lightnin\' until sometime in the late 70\'s...about the time they came up with the Thunder & Lightnin Gang moniker (Thunderbird/White Lightnin).

Comment

Originally posted by stuntflyr View Post
              I didn't find that photo of N25Y in it's Mobil Red Pegasus paint from 1947 Miami Air races. That is it's original racing scheme.
              She wasn't called "White Lightning" when she had red paint, was she?...

Now, If I had said "N25Y's original racing form and paint..."...

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 05-11-2009, 10:00 AM.

Comment

This was a nice touch: http://tinyurl.com/q36fzs

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                  They had so much fun with the 38 that after winning the 76 race in the Mustang, the 38 became the \'primary\' racing machine...just to go out and fly low around the course with. I don\'t think it was actually named White Lightnin\' until sometime in the late 70\'s...about the time they came up with the Thunder & Lightnin Gang moniker (Thunderbird/White Lightnin).
                  Could that be in the early 80s ?

Web says 1987-88 about this video..was it already legendary at that point ?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                  Last edited by First time Juke; 05-12-2009, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Oh yeah. WL was well known by the time I started going to the races in 1981.

I was bummed that I never got to see Lefty/While Lightning fly with Gary Levitz in his black P-38 "Double Trouble" in the same race though.

I've seen the photos of them "racing" together on the course during an earlier season, and I would have loved to see those two twin-boom fighters flying together in person.

It almost happened, but one mis-placed landing gear lever in the early 80's eliminated that dream forever...

Comment

It almost happened, but one mis-placed landing gear lever in the early 80's eliminated that dream forever...
                      Would you care to explain that a little bit more please ?

Comment

Gary Levitz's P-38 was restored and repainted black for the 1983 races. Both N25Y and N345 were to race in the same races owing to their similar performance. During an engine start by a crew member the gear lever in Levitz's N345 was out of position and as soon as the engine produced hydraulic pressure the gear down lock came off and the airplane settled onto one tail boom, bending the boom.
                        The airplane did not compete, so the poster did not get to see two Lockheeds racing together. That is what he meant.

Comment

Gary Levitz's P-38 was restored and repainted black for the 1983 races. Both N25Y and N345 were to race in the same races owing to their similar performance. During an engine start by a crew member the gear lever in Levitz's N345 was out of position and as soon as the engine produced hydraulic pressure the gear down lock came off and the airplane settled onto one tail boom, bending the boom.
                          The airplane did not compete, so the poster did not get to see two Lockheeds racing together. That is what he meant.
                          Thanks Stunt.. some of us are "rusty" on the old stuff.. keeps it real when you guys chime in with the details!

Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

The last time they raced together at Reno was 1980. The gear issue in 83 was a real shame, as it sure looked pretty!
                            Levitz seemed to run a little faster than Lefty (even ending up in a silver one year), whether he had a faster plane or just flogged it harder I don't know.
                            I was always hoping he would put the P-38 back into trim but it seemed like he went on to bigger projects.
                            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

...During an engine start by a crew member the gear lever in Levitz's N345 was out of position and as soon as the engine produced hydraulic pressure the gear down lock came off and the airplane settled onto one tail boom, bending the boom.

Yeppers. I had just arrived at Stead and had walked over to the military display side of the field where Double Trouble was parked near a hangar, when I noticed her tweaked tail and a bent prop blade or two. Oh no!

Gary sold her shortly after that incident, so I never got to see DT fly in ANY air-race, period.

2 Lightnings in one air-race...I envy all who had the pleasure of witnessing such happenings.

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                              Thanks Stunt.. some of us are "rusty" on the old stuff.. keeps it real when you guys chime in with the details!

Heh-heh. Just wanted to see how many members recalled that day first. Stuntflyr beat me to the details. No confusion intended.
                              Last edited by AirDOGGe; 05-13-2009, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X