Great Miami Air Race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Miami Air Race

Does anyone who posts on this site have any pictures from the Great Miami Air Race at Tamiami Florida in 1973 that they would be willing top post and share?

Jim

Re: Great Miami Air Race

I too would like to see some but, like my few pics, they are not in digtal format.
    I was there working so I don't have much more than memories.

Sully

Comment

I too am looking for memrobellia of the 1973 Great Maimi Air Race. I was the wife of organizer K.L. "Dusty" Burrow. The many photo albums that we made were lost in storage back in 1979. Someone out there has them. So many pictures were taken of that special event, by many many people. Hopefully someone will come forward.

Comment

I've got some! None are scanned except for this, but I'll try to get some done and posted by tomorrrow night if possible

Here's the aftermath of Miss A's blown engine.
        Last edited by rbonneau; 07-24-2010, 08:10 PM.

Comment

ohhhhhhhhh Vintange Miss America my favriote racer during my child hood shawn

Comment

WOW!! I'M SO EXCITED!! Thank you for sharing. That even looks like my former husband washing down Miss America.?? Could it be? or is that Howie? Do I know you?

Comment

thats not Howie . Shawn

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Aro View Post
                ohhhhhhhhh Vintange Miss America my favriote racer during my child hood shawn
                Mine too, i burned thru three Miss A "Cox" flyers, 1st one didnt count, i was 7yrs old and my uncle, a skilled air force pilot, had to show me how its done, proceeded to fly it, very skillfully, right into the ground....thanks alot unc!
                "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Here are a few more...

Jack Sliker's Escape II

That's me getting Lyle's autograph! He wrote "Fly Fast! Lyle Shelton"

Miss Candace

Tipsy Miss

Double Trouble

The Battle!

Me with some of the hardware on display

More to come tomorrow!

Comment

GREAT PICS!! YOU LOOK TO HAVE BEEN ABOUT 9 OR 10. MY SON'S AGE AT THE TIME. KLAYTON BURROW, DID YOU KNOW HIM? I AM GOING TO TRY AND PRINT THESE FOR HIM. LOVE TO SEE ANY MORE THAT YOU MAY HAVE OF THE PILOTS ETC.
                    THANKS AGAIN! JULIE BURROW JACKSON.

Comment

Originally posted by rbonneau View Post
                      Here are a few more...

Jack Sliker's Escape II

That's me getting Lyle's autograph! He wrote "Fly Fast! Lyle Shelton"

Miss Candace

Tipsy Miss

Double Trouble

The Battle!

Me with some of the hardware on display

More to come tomorrow!
                      is that Gary Levitz wife in the cowboy hat . Shawn

Comment

Ahhh.... hat.... what hat....
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Yes Shawn that was Katherine, she had more pairs of boots than anyone I ever met. She absolutely defined the word elegant, and had a wonderfully warm and charming personality. Gary was the perfect foil to her slow roasted wit and humour.

When Lyle was signing the autograph the large camera had been set up by Andy for filming the 16MM sound movie "Return of the Warbirds", which was the story of the Miami Race as told by the U.S. Thrift 7 3/4 % Special. Back when my mother was working for the video post editing company in Van Nuys, she had that movie and the Mojave movie put onto 3/4 inch master tapes and ran some high quality VHS tapes of those films, so that Lyle could share them with potential sponsors. I'd say that 80% of those tapes ended up with crew members eventually. But the Movie while corny in spots, is worth watching several times.

The ailerons on the future rare Bear were still silver as Tony Bernard had just finished building the short wing set for the Bearcat. The silver patch access panels under the wings were access to the attach bolts to the wingtips that Dr. Richard Tracy had made basically out of Surf board type materials, that I believe came from a surf board shop in Manahattan Beach.

The trophies that are shown are believe it or not, Not the first place gold trophies, those first place trophies had a lot more wood and stood three feet high. There was also a six foot tall perpetual trophy that was supposed to be like the Indy 500 trophy and live in a local building that supported future Miami Races. I have really good memories of the Great Miami Race. I think I personally have a program and Pit pass from that event.

The picture showing Tipsy Miss, That is Jack Sandberg leaning back on one arm partially obscured by the photographer in the brown pants.

That is all for now.
                          John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                            Ahhh.... hat.... what hat....
                            You only get to say that because Rotten Richard isn't here to smack you silly, he was so protective of Katherine.
                            John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
                              You only get to say that because Rotten Richard isn't here to smack you silly, he was so protective of Katherine.
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X