4th FG 'RED-NOSER' Mustangs @ Reno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4th FG 'RED-NOSER' Mustangs @ Reno

The colorful & exciting WW2 exploits of the 8th USAAF's legendary- Fourth Fighter Group, make it a favorite subject of focus for aero history buffs & writers, aircraft scale modelers & illustrators, and also by owners & operators of authentic flying restorations of North American Aviation's immortal- P-51 Mustang pursuit fighter plane looking for a classy & bold distinctive color scheme to dress-up their warbird.

The 4th FG was the highest-scoring outfit amongst the many great fighter units of the ETO's- 'MIGHTY EIGHTH', w/an amazing total of 1,016-confirmed victories by VE-Day & producing an impressive roster of 78 Aces, in the process.

The 4th was formed in September 29, 1942, when Britain's RAF released its' all-American volunteer Eagle Squadrons: Nos. 71, 121 & 133, to the 8th AF to create this unit for operation from 71 Sqdn's Debden Airdrome base. On 10/2/42, they used their Spitfires to fly the 4th's first mission, and by Spring '43, then transitioned to P-47 Thunderbolts. The group's love affair w/the P-51 began on 2/14/44, when the 4th FG received its' first 3 Mustangs for familiarization & soon re-equipped w/their new mounts- drawing first blood using P-51s on 3/2/44.

The last WW2 combat mission for the Debden Eagles was flown on 4/20/45, and the many distinguished accomplishments made by the Fourth's aggressive & highly-disciplined pilots, earned them the admiration of their peers & foes alike. Luftwaffe chief- Hermann Goering was quoted as having onetime stated that he knew the end for Germany was evident, when the first red-nosed Mustangs of the 4th FG appeared over Berlin.

The aircraft color schemes adorning the 4th's P-51s were some of the finest examples of WW2 combat artwork, thanks to the beautifully-creative (& prolific) artistic talents of 334th ground crewman & noseart expert- Staff Sgt. Don Allen, and others. That's why 4th FG schemes remain so popular today w/flying Mustang owners & museums worldwide. Following are the 4th FG's Squadron Codes to help identify this unit's P-51 'side-numbers':

QP- 334th Sq. (ex- No.71), w/Red tail rudders, later period
    WD- 335th Sq. (ex- No.121), w/White tail rudders, later period
    VF- 336th Sq. (ex- No.133), w/Blue tail rudders, later period

Here's a gallery of archive photos covering examples of contemporary P-51s wearing 4th FG color schemes, that appeared at Reno/Stead over the years, either as Unlimited Class race entries, or making appearances for showing-off :

Top row (L-R):

1. Max Hoffman's Race #66- 'BOOMER' (VF-H) that raced at Reno'78 & '79 & '79 Miami/Homestead events (Miami '79 photo).
    2. Angelo Regina's 'Widowmaker' (WD-B) in front of brother Pete's P-51B/C razorback.
    3. Pete Regina's Race #68- 'Shangri-La' (VF-T) razorback P-51C, accurately replicating ace- Don Gentile's famous P-51B mount, raced by Skip Holm.
    4. Both Regina machines at Reno '82 during a warm Stead Field sunset.
    5. Jimmie R. McMillan's Race #5- 'Sunny VIII' (VF-S), in markings of Col. Everett Stewart- last 4th FG CO, on the ramp at sunset in 1986.

Bottom Row (L-R):

1. Fri. 9/17/82 - Skip Holm in #68 'Shangri-La', turns Outer 4 Pylon in UNL Silver HT #1.
    2. Mon. 9/8/08 - Rookie Doug Matthews rounds Outer 7 Pylon during qualifying & practice, flying his Race #12- 'The Rebel' (VF-R), which represents Capt. Joseph Joiner's aircraft.
    3. Fri. 9/16/05 - The ever-popular- Dan Martin, seen racing his exquisite & accurately-detailed Race #20 replica of Maj. Pierce W. McKennon's 'Ridge Runner III' (WD-A), around Outer 4 Pylon, during Lap-5 of UNL HT-2A. Martin's RR started its' Unlimited Class racing career as Race #7 at Mojave '78.
    4. Mon. 9/13/04 - Ike Enns goes-by Outer 4 Pylon during practice & qualifying in his P-51D Race #50- 'Miracle Maker' (WD-B), the former- 'Widowmaker'.
    5. Tue. 9/9/86 - Jimmie McMillan drives his #5- 'Sunny VIII' (VF-S) Mustang, down along the fast West Chute during qualifying & practice.

Recommended websites to check the overall accuracy of Mustangs flying in 4th FG markings:

The 4th FG Association: www.fourthfightergroup.com

And, of course: www.MustangsMustangs.com

DBD

(BTW- The Eagle Squadron & 4th Fighter Group have been my personal favorite WW2 aviation history subjects since I was a young kid. John Godfrey is my favorite fighter pilot & his autobiography- 'The Look of Eagles', is a great read. Sparrow, this one's for you! )
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BuckyD; 04-25-2009, 06:41 PM.

Re: 4th FG 'RED-NOSER' Mustangs @ Reno

Thank you DBD for posting this marvelous racing information

Comment

I've often wondered what the designations such as QP, WD, and VF stand for. I suspect that VF is Navy Fighter, but don't know for sure. Will someone please help? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by R080 View Post

I've often wondered what the designations such as QP, WD, and VF stand for. I suspect that VF is Navy Fighter, but don't know for sure. Will someone please help? Thanks
        Hi R080 -

I'll hopefully try to get your question(s) answered. First-off, what we're discussing here right now, is about what's most commonly referred to as - WW2 aircraft "side numbers", painted prominently on the sides of a plane's fuselage for squadron identification purposes (also referred to as- the "plane-in-squadron" ID number).

You are correct for the USN use of the 'VF' sqdn designator- 'V' designates - "heavier-than-air" & 'F' designates - "fighting": 'fighting squadron' or 'fighter squadron'. The ten USN class letters assigned were: B- Bombing, F- Fighting, J- Utility, M- Miscellaneous, N- Training, O- Observation, P- Patrol, S- Scouting, T- Torpedo, & X- Experimental. (i.e. - USN Sqdn 'side number' - '71-F-12' painted on the fuselage sides of a WW2 Grumman F4F Wildcat, would identify that aircraft as fighter #12 in USN Fighter Sqdn VF-71, which was assigned to the carrier USS Wasp).

However, the USN designator 'VF', has no relevance whatsoever to the USAAF 'VF' sqdn designator used to ID the 4th FG's 336th Fighter Sqdn planes. From my research experience, in the USAAF, squadron ID plane designators were generally random alphabetic codes chosen by Group HQ Engineering Section, which were then assigned to the group's three squadrons via their squadron's designated EO ('engineering officer' - one of the sqdn's regular pilots whose 'addtional duties', besides regular flying opns, would include working w/the sqdn's ground crew & maintenance section to help coordinate their scheduling & materiel needs, etc.). The Sqdn EO would assign the individual alpha-code letter used to ID each airplane within the squadron ('A', 'B', 'C', etc.), directly to the respective crew chief in charge of the plane to receive that ID letter code, which he would have prominently painted on both sides of his plane's fuselage. In essence, the ID designator really belonged to the crew chief, as in the event his aircraft was lost in action or by accident, 'his' replacement aircraft got the same designator as his old charge, especially if it was new to the sqdn, in most cases, or be given an unused alpha-code letter in the assigned series.

There may have been exceptions, of course, w/some cases where the Sqdn Code letters were chosen for a particular relevance. Whether the 4th FG's use of 'QP', 'WD' or 'VF' had any meaning, I don't know, but will ask the group's historian - in the event there was in this case. Ya never know! Anyway, hope this info helps w/your question somewhat.

BTW- If you want to learn more about this subject, to get started, I highly-recommend my good friend- Dana Bell's AIR FORCE COLORS - Volumes 1, 2 & 3, and NAVY AIR COLORS by Thomas Doll, Berkley R. Jackson & William A. Riley - all published by Squadron/Signal Pubs. These are standard refs. for scale modelers and aviation history buffs, and very well done. They might be out of print, but are usually available from Amazon, or via online used book sellers, or thru eBay.

DBD
        Last edited by BuckyD; 04-26-2009, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Here's some additional side profile photo comparisons of the afore-mentioned- 4th FG 'RED NOSERS' at Reno, plus a couple other examples seen at Stead Field during air race week...

Top Row (L-R):

1. Pete Regina's 1st-class presentation of the famous mount of Maj. Don Gentile (23-air/7-gnd vic.) - P-51B: 'VF-T' - 'Shangri-La' (a/c #43-6913). (This a/c is actually P-51C #43-25147). My fave 4th FG Mustang!

2. Dan Martin's spot-on representation of the D-Model Mustang of Maj. Pierce W. McKennon (11.5-air/8-gnd vic.) - 'WD-A' - 'Ridge Runner III' (a/c #44-72308). (This a/c is #44-72483/44-13250a).

3. Angelo Regina's 'WD-B' - 'Widowmaker' (a/c #44-73210). Don't believe this to be a period 4th FG named a/c, but likely modeled after Maj. William O' Donnell's P-51D: 'VF-B' 'The Duchess' (a/c #44-14557).

4. Ike Enns' renamed- 'WD-B' - 'Miracle Maker' (a/c #44-73210, the former- 'Widowmaker') - racing since Reno '98 as Race #50.

5. The late Elmer Ward's gorgeous re-creation of the P-51D of LtCol. Claiborne H. Kinnard (6-air/14.4-gnd vic.) - 'QP-A' - 'Man O' War' (a/c #44-14192). (This a/c is #44-72739).

Bottom Row (L-R):

1. Terry Tarditi's 'VF-T' - 'Comfortably Numb' (a/c #44-74008) arrives at Reno '04 in company w/Danny Martin's 'Ridge Runner III', on a visit to Stead Field. (This a/c is #44-73339/44-74008a).

2. R/H profile of Ike Enns' 'WD-B' - 'Miracle Maker' on arrival at Reno '96 for Unlimited racing fun! Always a pleasure to see Ike's beautifully-groomed Mustang consistently compete at Reno.

3. & 4. The late Elmer Ward taxis-out 'Man O' War' for takeoff during Reno '96 Monday departures from Stead Field, to return to his home base at Chino, CA. The distinctive & unique (& historically-accurate!) upper surface unique camo-scalloping paint pattern makes for one of the most striking WW2 Mustang schemes ever! You gotta love the twin Spitfire rear-view mirrors!!!

5. A circa-Sept. '83 archive photo of Elmer Ward starting-up 'Man O' War' at Chino Airport to go flying with a friend. Elmer was a 'one-in-a million' kinda guy, and a class act all-the-way. Blue Skies Always, Elmer Ward!

DBD
          Attached Files
          Last edited by BuckyD; 04-26-2009, 11:53 PM.

Comment

I believe that ''THE DUCHESS'' was indeed WD+B. Sure like your shot of Dan's airplane in 05. Any way to get a copy of it?

Comment

Thanks for Posting these pic of "Man O war" Bucky.. They are awesome. I have always wondered if the Late Elmer Ward brought his Mustang to Reno. She is my favorite Mustang ever since I read about it in an Air Classics magazine article.

In your post you mention the historical accuracy of the plane. Have you ever seen a picture of the original WWII P-51 in that paint scheme?? I have looked and looked and have never run across one.

Thanks again

Jeff E

Comment

Jeff E, I've seen several, if I remember there were some in the original AC article back in the late 70's. As with many others it seems, I got my only Mustang ride in Man O' War back in 1980. Elmer took my 40 bucks and gave me a million dollar ride! I came home and drew the attached.
                Thanks for the shots from 82, one of my favorite years. Lots of new planes (for Reno) and the weather gave some great photo ops, and some great memories of fighting it and surviving it.
                Attached Files
                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

BUCKYD..thanks for the explanation. it helped.

Comment

So what's the connection between Dan Martin and Terry Tarditi? Dago and Confortably Numb flew in together in '08.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Dan and Terry are friends,and fly together alot. Hey Leo, 40 bucks!,those were the days!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff E View Post
                        Thanks for Posting these pic of "Man O war" Bucky.. They are awesome. I have always wondered if the Late Elmer Ward brought his Mustang to Reno. She is my favorite Mustang ever since I read about it in an Air Classics magazine article.

In your post you mention the historical accuracy of the plane. Have you ever seen a picture of the original WWII P-51 in that paint scheme?? I have looked and looked and have never run across one.

Thanks again

Jeff E
                        Jeff- You're very welcome & I'm looking for good orig. WW2 color picture sources of Man O' War. In the meantime, here's color profile art, which tells us that the original unique upper surface camo striping was Olive Drab 41 & EW's re-creation D-Model's much darker. Don't think most of us mind that all too much, huh?

dbd
                        Last edited by BuckyD; 04-28-2009, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X