Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help for scale model of RareBear wreck

Hi Racefans

My name is Kevin and I´m a scale modeler from Germany. I have started to build a collection of various race planes(only 1/72nd scale), including a little RareBear collection to show the plane in differend paint schemes that appeared over the years. The 1985 version is already finished and the 1999 version with the three-bladed monster-prop is actually under construction. When it is finished, I´ve planned to build a model of the wreck that was bought by Lyle Shelton in 1969. To me it´s an important Part of the RB history as it is the beginning point of its career as a raceplane. Of course it´s an interesting and challenging project, too. All the damages need to be recreated, etc. I have turned the whole internet inside out to find information on the wreck and have only found one pic of the wreck on the RB homepage. Another two pics were sent to me via e-mail.

As the three pics are all uncolored, I have no idea how to paint the model. Can anybody help me to get more information on the wreck? I´d be more than pleased. Detail pics of the damages would be awesome and, of course, info to the paintjob. Just anything that might be helpful to get this thing done.

I´ve added some pics of the already finished 1985 version. Maybe somebody might be interested to take a look. It´s my favorite version, I simply love that paintjob. Hope you like it, too. It´s an australian High Planes kit and quite challenging.

Cheers,
    Kevin

PS:
    I´m really surprised how hard it is to find pics that show the Bear in the old paintjobs. When I built the 1985 version it was very frustrating, too. I´d never expected that as is is such a famous racer.
    Attached Files

Re: Need help for scale model of RareBear wreck

Very nice model! Good job.
    Tony

Comment

have you seen the DVD that the Bear team was selling last year? If I remember correctly it does contain some older pictures, good luck.

Comment

Very nice work!
        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Dude, that is way cool......let me know if you want to make another and maybe we can come to an acceptable agreement Always loved the bear crushing the P-51 scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by Reno Box 77 View Post
            have you seen the DVD that the Bear team was selling last year? If I remember correctly it does contain some older pictures, good luck.
            The pictures in the DVD of the wreck are not different than the ones on the internet.

The coloring was a light blue, I'll try to see if we have any color pictures of the parts before they were stripped. On of the important things to remember was that within hours so many parts had been stolen from the wreckage that making it very complete would not be good. The cockpit was pretty much gutted, as far as instuments and center panel. You will have to build a firewall little on it, once again I'll see if we have any pictures. This will not be a fast process.

BTW the paint job on the model looks much better than the real 1985 paint looked.
            Last edited by BellCobraIV; 04-23-2009, 10:16 AM.
            John Slack

Comment

I shot the bear landing on it's belly behind bleachers with a super-8. I gave the film to Lyle Shelton a few years ago. I do have some converted film after the landing with the Bear in the pits (I also have a sketch I made with the crew working on the Bear for my Air Race coloring book) and other race stuff from over the years on a DVD. give me an address and I will send it. Thanks, KC

Comment

Hi

@deepsky, Leo and Dave:
                Thank you for your kind words. It was quite a bit of work to get the model finished. The kit box says "recommended for advanced modelers". When I first looked at the parts sprues I was shocked. Those were by far the crudest pieces of plastic I had ever seen. Everything is molded really thick due to the low pressure injection. The complete wing for example is made of two parts, upper and lower wing. When you cut them from the sprues and do dryfit them, you see a 3mm gap all around the edge. The upper wing had to be sanded thinner inside and on the lower wing, the wheel housings had to be sanded down. When the two parts finally fit well, you could almost look through the plastic as it was sanded down so much. 3 hours work, making the inlets in the wing´s leading edge or attaching putty and sanding not included... Things like that happened through the complete build, every part has to be prepared carefully. On the other side the model comes with fine panel lines, a correct canopy and cowling and nice decals. It was as much fun as it was hard to build.

@Dave:
                What do you mean? You got one for sale?

@BellCobraIV, Reno Box 77:
                No, I have not seen the DVD. As I live in Germany there´s not much material available. I have some books about the Reno races. And then, there´s youtube and other platforms When I come to Reno(I hope so), I´m looking to buy all I can get.

Ahh, light blue. That was not expected. All the missing parts are planned to be cut away from the kit. There will be a lot of work to rebuild the inner structure. Missing parts like instruments are not a problem, just drill a hole and some wires hanging out of the holes But on the engine and all the damages and inner structures, I´m going to have some fun.

No problem if it takes time to get more information to the wreck. Some other racers are currently under construction and will be finished before I start building the wreck. It´ll be a project for next winter. Just take your time and thanks a lot.

@Kahnzilla:
                That´s a nice offer. You really want to send to Germany? What can I do to be quit with you?

@All:
                The model of the wreck is planned to look as much as possible like this:
                Attached Files

Comment

Stuntman Mike, send me your address and I will send you some stuff. Thanks, KC

Comment

Having done many diorawa's over the years of wrecked or abandoned planes, I know you have your work cut out for you! BUT those are always the most fun and challenging and by the looks of what you have shown you are up to the challenge. Can't wait to see them all!
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Hi Leo

You are absolutely right. It´s the greatest fun when you have to scratchbuilt half of the model. Some time ago I´ve built a crashed Hellcat. There´s a video on youtube, showing a mishap during a carrier landing. The plane broke in two halfes when crashing into the tower. The pilot got out without injuries but the plane was just a wreck. Was a lot of fun to build. Another great thing is, you learn a lot about the construction of a plane when you build such models. To me it´s very fascinating, I love those old WWII-Fighters.

Is there a place where we can take a look at your wreck models? I´d really like to see them.

Cheers,
                      Kevin

Comment

LOL, no i meant if you want to build another one and sell it to me I have always enjoyed modeling but have come to find out that i do not have the patience for it, thus they all turn out bad.

Keep up the good work!!

Comment

I used to have a couple of slides of a pacific Devastator crash I did, have to search around a little if I get time. Unfortunately, between kids, several moves and their old age I only have two left boxed up in the rafters somewhere. I stopped building years ago when life and drawing took over. I lost several diorama's and even more hanging and display models when the local hobby store closed many years ago. I had a deal with the owner where he would supply me with kits and I would let him display the finished product. He closed without warning and I never knew where he went!
                          I have never stopped collecting them and have a fairly large backlog of kits. One of these days...
                          I truly wish I could afford the Air Racer kits that are available nowadays!
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Stuntman Mike View Post
                            Hi

@BellCobraIV, Reno Box 77:

There will be a lot of work to rebuild the inner structure. Missing parts like instruments are not a problem, just drill a hole and some wires hanging out of the holes
                            No need to drill holes, as the whole panel was missing, I'll see if I can find a picture from over the years with the main panel removed, four little brackets, were all that was there in addition to the side panels that are part of the structure.
                            John Slack

Comment

Hi All

@Dave:
                              Make an offer, PM me

@Leo:
                              Sad to hear the hobby store story. I can hardly imagine how you felt when the shop and its owner suddenly disappeared. I would have been pretty much pi**ed, I think.

The Devastator thing sounds interesting. I bet there were a lot of details to be scratchbuilt.

Another of my "far in the future projects" could be a Devastator, too. I´d like to build a plane that looks like it layed under water after it fell off a carrier deck in WWII. A Devastator with naked window frames and missing parts would be a good choice.

@BellBobraIV:
                              Ok, I see. I better wait planning details until i got proper information...

The building part is not the challenge in this project. The challenge is to find reference. When it comes to assembling and scratchbuilding, the relaxing part begins. I´ve built a Super Corsair in 1/72nd scale with a scratchbuilt "corn cob" engine. The engine is made of more than 150 parts and was great fun to build. The engine block(or crankcase housing) is wrong though.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X