UNLIMITED Racer Project For Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNLIMITED Racer Project For Sale

I saw this airplane in an ad on Trade-A-Plane for sale as an Unlimited Racer Project...Anyone know anything about it?
    Last edited by johnnyrace; 04-16-2010, 02:07 AM.

Re: UNLIMITED Racer Project For Sale

That looks like the Mr Awesome/Frost bite racer... built by Neil Anderson... the recipie is this......

Take one Yak 11 add one R3350, and extensive modifications to make said R-3350 fit...

Raced in the late 80's early 90's but suffered and engine failure and got sold to Jack Frost ( i hope i got the name right)... and is as now seen...

I hope i got names and dates right.....
    race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
      That looks like the Mr Awesome/Frost bite racer... built by Neil Anderson... the recipie is this......

Take one Yak 11 add one R3350, and extensive modifications to make said R-3350 fit...

Raced in the late 80\'s early 90\'s but suffered and engine failure and got sold to Jack Frost ( i hope i got the name right)... and is as now seen...

I hope i got names and dates right.....
      Actually, Neil Anderson did not have anything to do with the project until it was sold to Darryl Greenamyer in 1989.

The aircraft was owned by Joe Kasparoff and built up at Van Nuys airport in 1987-88 by a team that included Matt Jackson. As you stated, it was extensively modified to accept the R-3350 (which included the PRT\'s...a subject that has seen some debate amongst radial experts as to whether it was actually successful in a racing application) by lengthening the fuselage about 3 feet aft of the cockpit.

Skip Holm tested it initially with a stock tail, and from my understanding it wanted to swap ends constantly. For Reno they installed a big slab vertical stabilizer, giving it the appearance of a \'Super Mooney\', but even that did not help, as Skip ran one heat race and then said \'no mas\'.

Kasparoff sold the project to Greenamyer in \'89, who took off the big downdraft scoop from the cowling, and put a T-33 tail unit on it. The late Neil Anderson was tapped to fly it. It reportedly handled well with the new tail, but it crashed on take-off due to a \'stray-bullet-induced\' engine failure on Monday or Tuesday of qualifying, and was pretty well destroyed.

From there, I think Greenamyer sold the remains to Roger Van Grotte, who was going to make it \'Red Heat\'. It was mostly rebuilt, and then sold to Jack Frost back in about 1998. But Frost was \'banned\' from Reno after being caught cheating in the T-6 class, and \'Frostbite\' was never finished.

The project has been up for sale for quite a while. From the photo it appears that the cowling has had some major work on it, and the large tail stinger that Greenamyer had installed looks to be gone.

If I had an extra half-million laying around, I just might give this \'project\' a try. Until then, however...

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
        Frost was \'banned\' from Reno after being caught cheating in the T-6 class, and \'Frostbite\' was never finished.
        I don't think Jack was "banned from Reno" because of that incident. In fact, the infraction was relatively minor and had little to do with aircraft performance (was it really "cheating"). It was, however, a technical/safety issue and the T6 association chose to invoke a rule disqualifying him from competition for that year. Jack was a little upset about the decision and chose not to continue racing his T-6.

Comment

Thanks everyone...sorry if I rehashed an old subject...Its great that someone is always here to answer questions so quickly...I read up on Mr. Awesome on this aafo page...Sounds like it was quite a handful at first...Thanks again

All Aviation FlightLine OnLine-Reno Air Races: The story of "Mr. Awesome" now known as "Red Heat"

Comment

Yeah, the whole Jack Frost "banned from Reno" thing is really & truly one of those stories that just "gets better" every time it's told. I'm not the president of Jack Frost's fan club, but I do consider him a friend (along with many other T-6 racers), and can tell you that while sometimes he is his own worst enemy, there were definitely other competitors (supposedly friends of his as well) that were "out to get him." Again, Jack wasn't completely innocent in that situation, but it was without a doubt blown completely out of proportion.

There are probably only two T-6's in that entire class that are 100% legal, as per the rules. Everyone else is cheating. It just depends on who you are and how well you cheat, as to whether or not you're considered "legal" to race. (Eyes rolling now) Been there, done that. It is, or at least used to be, the most corrupt class at Reno, in my opinion. (Flame suit on....blast away)

As far as the Yak is concerned, there were lots of mods made to the airplane over the years, that's for sure. It's an interesting beast and would be pretty cool to see someone take it on and put it back on the track.

Gary Austin

Comment

Originally posted by retroaviation View Post
              There are probably only two T-6's in that entire class that are 100% legal, as per the rules.
              Is that counting the pace plane and the raffle ride?

Comment

Here's a modification for the Mr.Awesome project for sale...I fear overheating issues though!!!

Comment

or how about this?...BLASPHEMY!!!!

Comment

Mighty fine. KC

Comment

Why not a pusher unlimited with a Griffon or PW 4360?
                      Lockheed Bob

Comment

Let's see now - Start with a B-36 nacelle and firewall aftward, F-104 wings...Hey, I think we're onto something. Anyone with a catchy name? Best I've come up with is "Machasswards". Maybe we could score the Sani-Hut sponsorship.
                        Last edited by Skyracer; 04-21-2009, 09:29 PM.

Comment

somebody already beat us to it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                            Why not a pusher unlimited with a Griffon or PW 4360?
                            Or an inline like this chinese 16 blader 4000+ hp monster;

( from here http://www.chinahistoryforum.org/ind...ed&pid=4964465 )
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by First time Juke; 04-21-2009, 11:48 PM. Reason: link added
                            http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Many thanks for the corrections.... i knew i had missed some info out somewhere (dont lend relatives your reno books.; )
                              Juke that looks interesting... looks like a cross between an A-10, Saab J-21 with a monster inline....
                              race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Working...
                              X