PDA

View Full Version : UNLIMITED Racer Project For Sale

johnnyrace
04-20-2009, 11:51 PM
I saw this airplane in an ad on Trade-A-Plane for sale as an Unlimited Racer Project...Anyone know anything about it?

kiwiracefan
04-21-2009, 02:41 AM
That looks like the Mr Awesome/Frost bite racer... built by Neil Anderson... the recipie is this......

Take one Yak 11 add one R3350, and extensive modifications to make said R-3350 fit...

Raced in the late 80's early 90's but suffered and engine failure and got sold to Jack Frost ( i hope i got the name right)... and is as now seen...

I hope i got names and dates right.....

Big_Jim
04-21-2009, 07:35 AM
That looks like the Mr Awesome/Frost bite racer... built by Neil Anderson... the recipie is this......

Take one Yak 11 add one R3350, and extensive modifications to make said R-3350 fit...

Raced in the late 80\'s early 90\'s but suffered and engine failure and got sold to Jack Frost ( i hope i got the name right)... and is as now seen...

I hope i got names and dates right.....

Actually, Neil Anderson did not have anything to do with the project until it was sold to Darryl Greenamyer in 1989.

The aircraft was owned by Joe Kasparoff and built up at Van Nuys airport in 1987-88 by a team that included Matt Jackson. As you stated, it was extensively modified to accept the R-3350 (which included the PRT\'s...a subject that has seen some debate amongst radial experts as to whether it was actually successful in a racing application) by lengthening the fuselage about 3 feet aft of the cockpit.

Skip Holm tested it initially with a stock tail, and from my understanding it wanted to swap ends constantly. For Reno they installed a big slab vertical stabilizer, giving it the appearance of a \'Super Mooney\', but even that did not help, as Skip ran one heat race and then said \'no mas\'.

Kasparoff sold the project to Greenamyer in \'89, who took off the big downdraft scoop from the cowling, and put a T-33 tail unit on it. The late Neil Anderson was tapped to fly it. It reportedly handled well with the new tail, but it crashed on take-off due to a \'stray-bullet-induced\' engine failure on Monday or Tuesday of qualifying, and was pretty well destroyed.

From there, I think Greenamyer sold the remains to Roger Van Grotte, who was going to make it \'Red Heat\'. It was mostly rebuilt, and then sold to Jack Frost back in about 1998. But Frost was \'banned\' from Reno after being caught cheating in the T-6 class, and \'Frostbite\' was never finished.

The project has been up for sale for quite a while. From the photo it appears that the cowling has had some major work on it, and the large tail stinger that Greenamyer had installed looks to be gone.

If I had an extra half-million laying around, I just might give this \'project\' a try. Until then, however...

Jim

Skyracer
04-21-2009, 12:09 PM
Frost was \'banned\' from Reno after being caught cheating in the T-6 class, and \'Frostbite\' was never finished.I don't think Jack was "banned from Reno" because of that incident. In fact, the infraction was relatively minor and had little to do with aircraft performance (was it really "cheating"). It was, however, a technical/safety issue and the T6 association chose to invoke a rule disqualifying him from competition for that year. Jack was a little upset about the decision and chose not to continue racing his T-6.

johnnyrace
04-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Thanks everyone...sorry if I rehashed an old subject...Its great that someone is always here to answer questions so quickly...I read up on Mr. Awesome on this aafo page...Sounds like it was quite a handful at first...Thanks again

http://www.aafo.com/racing/news/rheat.htm

retroaviation
04-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Yeah, the whole Jack Frost "banned from Reno" thing is really & truly one of those stories that just "gets better" every time it's told. I'm not the president of Jack Frost's fan club, but I do consider him a friend (along with many other T-6 racers), and can tell you that while sometimes he is his own worst enemy, there were definitely other competitors (supposedly friends of his as well) that were "out to get him." Again, Jack wasn't completely innocent in that situation, but it was without a doubt blown completely out of proportion.

There are probably only two T-6's in that entire class that are 100% legal, as per the rules. Everyone else is cheating. It just depends on who you are and how well you cheat, as to whether or not you're considered "legal" to race. (Eyes rolling now) Been there, done that. It is, or at least used to be, the most corrupt class at Reno, in my opinion. (Flame suit on....blast away)

As far as the Yak is concerned, there were lots of mods made to the airplane over the years, that's for sure. It's an interesting beast and would be pretty cool to see someone take it on and put it back on the track.

Gary Austin

Skyracer
04-21-2009, 01:55 PM
There are probably only two T-6's in that entire class that are 100% legal, as per the rules. Is that counting the pace plane and the raffle ride? :)

johnnyrace
04-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Here's a modification for the Mr.Awesome project for sale...I fear overheating issues though!!!

johnnyrace
04-21-2009, 03:06 PM
or how about this?...BLASPHEMY!!!!

KAHNZILLA
04-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Mighty fine. KC

Lockheed Bob
04-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Why not a pusher unlimited with a Griffon or PW 4360?:beerchug:

Skyracer
04-21-2009, 09:21 PM
Let's see now - Start with a B-36 nacelle and firewall aftward, F-104 wings...Hey, I think we're onto something. Anyone with a catchy name? Best I've come up with is "Machasswards". Maybe we could score the Sani-Hut sponsorship. :eek:

johnnyrace
04-21-2009, 10:06 PM
somebody already beat us to it!!!

First time Juke
04-21-2009, 11:25 PM
Why not a pusher unlimited with a Griffon or PW 4360?:beerchug:

Or an inline like this chinese 16 blader 4000+ hp monster;

( from here http://www.chinahistoryforum.org/index.php?showtopic=29274&mode=threaded&pid=4964465 )

kiwiracefan
04-21-2009, 11:48 PM
Many thanks for the corrections.... i knew i had missed some info out somewhere (dont lend relatives your reno books.; :D)
Juke that looks interesting... looks like a cross between an A-10, Saab J-21 with a monster inline....

First time Juke
04-22-2009, 12:00 AM
Juke that looks interesting... looks like a cross between an A-10, Saab J-21 with a monster inline....

I wonder if all that is true about LY-66mk2 Fuchou. Seems that Fokker DXXIII was a model for it.

Insert from the link:

But the expertise acquired by the department’s engineers came in handy in 1940 when Luoyun began work on a prototype inspired by the Fokker DXXIII and struggled to come up with a workable dual coaxial propeller system: KNAW lent its helicopter team to Feng’s company, and for the next two years they would provide invaluable help to the development of the LY-66 Fuchou 復仇 (Vengeance), China’s most remarkable domestically designed plane of the war, and a superb heavy fighter who would certainly have become the workhorse of the CAF had not an even better plane come up in the meantime—the Wen 蚊, a.k.a. the Mosquito.

The concept of the Fuchou was originally inspired by a Fokker airplane, the D-XXIII, but rather than copying it, the Chinese went back to the drawing board and completely re-designed it from the ground up. The idea was to exploit to the fullest the pusher propeller design by using the available space in the nose to cram as heavy an armament as possible: four cal. 50 machine guns and two 20 mm cannons. However, the finicky twin propellers required lengthy adjustments, and the two engines' configuration made them prone to overheating. With all the glitches that had to be addressed, the aircraft wasn't ready for deployment until early 1942.

I wonder if all this story was hypothetical....that cannot fly..CG is to aft ?!
Seems to be BS; The following is a counterfactual speculation on what the history of Chinese aviation might have been, had Chinese history taken a different course in 1912. In this alternate timeline, Yuan Shikai died of kidney failure on February 24, 1912, and the changes snowballed from there.

Leo
04-22-2009, 08:33 AM
At the risk of heading off topic I've always wondered what really happened that year. I've heard several stories, some sensational, some not.
On the subject of "cheating", isn't it normal in a motorsport with fairly rigid rules to push right up against them, maybe a little past them, and try to get an edge? NASCAR is ripe with infractions.
Mr. Awesome has always seemed a hard-luck plane to me. Some of the best have tried to make her competative and failed, luckily with no fatalities. I can think of better airframes to spend my air racing dollar on! (As if I had one...). Just MHO.

Skyracer
04-22-2009, 08:46 AM
How about a twin pusher with Griffons (Bell Aircuda style).

Aircuda info: http://www.aviastar.org/air/usa/bell_airacuda.php

Here's a air-air clip of some really rare airplanes: B-9, YFM-1, and others.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=CNXADjmBhAc&feature=related

BTW - My dad was in the Army Air Corps during WWII. Went through A/C Powerplant school and was turned around to be an instructor. He did his multi-engine checkout in an Aircuda.

Avnut
04-22-2009, 09:59 AM
Here's a couple pictures I took of Mr. Awesome at Reno in 1988. It was quite awesome in that it was so different from other Unlimited's

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/rrufkahr/Reno%201988%20reduced%20800/mrawesome1_88_12_1.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/rrufkahr/Reno%201988%20reduced%20800/mrawesome2_88_13_1.jpg

Lockheed Bob
04-22-2009, 10:44 AM
It seems "Czech Mate" does pretty good with what it has & it has had its teething problems. Sherman Smoot is one of the best & he does know the plane & what it can do.:beerchug:

johnnyrace
04-22-2009, 10:58 AM
I agree...One of these years its gonna be Shermans year...I had the pleasure of standing with a bunch of his family during the 2008 Sunday Gold Race...a very nice and fun group of people..."Czech Mate" keeps running consistent and reliable year after year...He is bound to get that win eventually...It's as reliable as....a...well... a Buick.

Leo
04-22-2009, 11:18 AM
I'm a fan. Great airplane, great people in the pit and Mr. Smoot is a class act. I agree that one of these years...
But he's doing great with a much smaller powerplant. That 3350 on a small airframe just seems to turn it into a monster. Again, I'm only talking out of my hat (or a&%) based on it's history.
Anybody qualified to give a true comparison on how they fly? Matt?

JET1
04-22-2009, 12:35 PM
:) :)

jhall@jetav.com
04-22-2009, 03:27 PM
Any idea what they are asking for it, or what it's worth?

John Richard
04-23-2009, 07:40 PM
In regard to Czech Mate, I believe power is an R-2800, not an R-3350.

Lockheed Bob
04-23-2009, 08:56 PM
True John, "Czech Mate" is a 2800.:beerchug::beerchug:

Leo
04-24-2009, 07:33 AM
In regard to Czech Mate, I believe power is an R-2800, not an R-3350.

But he's doing great with a much smaller powerplant

That was my point. A 3350 seems overkill in light of Czech Mates success. Unless you want to put the little plane in the 490's but at what price in dollars, safety and reliability.
I don't know what engine mods have or can be done to the 2800 but it seems better to me to pursue that direction. Maybe you never beat the Bear and Dago/Strega in a balls out race but Dreadnaught has shown that a consistant second or third is a pretty good way to win.

stuntflyr
04-27-2009, 12:20 PM
Any idea what they are asking for it, or what it's worth?

No, there will just be lots of BSing about other airplanes and their opinion about them.

Smee Again
04-27-2009, 01:51 PM
No, there will just be lots of BSing about other airplanes and their opinion about them.

Okay, I'll bite. It's worth what someone's willing to pay for it, no more, no less. Realistically, there is no baseline for the sale of an a/c like Mr. Awesome. It has no historical significance as either a warbird or racer, the airframe has been highly modified and repeatedly changed, and it's unlikely to ever be restored back to stock condition for use as a sport aircraft. So what can be done with it? Air racing... maybe. And we all know what a great investment Unlimited Air Racing is! :rolleyes: The engine might be worth something (slow nosecase?), or it might just be a clapped out pile of parts. Who knows? :dunno:

SA

IcePaq
08-10-2009, 06:45 PM
It would sell if he took off the wings, put it on a display trailer and drove it to the reno event or oshkosh.

Being at an event raises the blood to a boil and seeing an awesome machine such as that in person would clinch the sale a lot better than some lame trade-a-plane advertisement with little to zero information.

Maybe the guy who owns it felt forced to post it but is secretly hoping it doesn't sell.

Flyer57
08-14-2009, 04:29 AM
I'm going to post my silly opinion. Mr. Awesome has a 3350 in it alright but it's not a Sky Raider engine, It's a Turbo Compound. Likely off a Connie. Waaay too much weight and waaay too much junk moving around inside that cowl. Skip absolutely hated flying it. When I got done talking to him I figured one thing. If Skip Holm won't fly it. . . Those were radical times at Reno. Cool times because so many were trying to hit the nail on the head with the perfect combination of airframe and engine and they were using every engine and airframe combination you could think of. We had a great chance with BMB but circumstances can really ruin a good thing. The Pond racer, Tsunami, Furious, Dreadnought, Mr. Awesome. Checkmate (Then Perestroika. I still have a Green T-shirt from them) Everyone laughed at Bob Yancey then too. These were all radical modifications at the time. It seems old hat now and you can laugh at the way they did or didn't do but that was to me a sort of Golden Age at Reno. If we had, had the time to build the correct fuel system for BMB we may have been the new Rare Bear of the time. Instead we spent 5 nights changing engines. I still can't believe they are putting that plane back to stock but that's their deal. Anyway, Larry Burton mated a 3350 to a Sea Fury and until we showed up at Reno he was getting not only odd looks but there were some laughs too. Now you hardly see a Sea Fury with a Centaurus in it. All these guys wanted to make a difference and they were willing to try wild stuff to do it. I think the 3350 Turbo Compound was a real stretch but the engine was sitting in a yard somewhere and the airframe was sitting in a yard somewhere and Joe Kasperoff wanted to play so he did. The plane is not a million beer cans. That's something to say for it. All these years someone has still had faith in the thought that maybe, Just maybe this thing could fly. I actually think the standard -76WD would do ok. It just needs the right balance.
Now you got me all teary eyed for the old days.
I hope to meet some of you this year. I'm coming up for the first time in 15 years. I'm working with Larry on Dancing Queen this year. We're putting the engine together right now. We have been laughing lately about how when we were at Levelor we just went and got what we needed. He made the comment the other day "I wonder if Burt Munroe would do it like this?" Now we bring him up a lot. "Is this something Burt would be proud of?" "I wonder if Burt built one of these?" At Levelor we machined our parts. In Larry's garage we are filing, and using roto-sanders. It's fun times. You have to be creative. And working on an O-200 with Larry you get to hear how they used to build 4 cam Fords, and I feel like I know Mickey Thompson. One thing I know.
Larry Loves Racing.
See ya up there.:beerchug:

t-dub
08-14-2009, 07:01 AM
It must really be something working side by side with someone like Larry! Being an auto racing junkie, i would give my right arm to be in your shoes! The wealth of knowledge, and experiences that Larry has been through is priceless! The Burt Munroe analogy is perfect, 'cause that's exactly what you guys are doing right now. Enjoy it Roger, because right now these ARE the "good ol' days", and the memories you are creating right now will be remembered fondly for years to come! :thumbsup: Troy

Flyer57
08-15-2009, 01:36 PM
Trust me T-Dub, I'm relishing every moment. We are working to get Larry a house so he can build a shop. I'm going to post some pics of us in his garage working on Dancing Queen.
In this one Larry is cutting a piece of balsa for a form on a scroll saw he uses for his models. The other arm you see is mine holding the saw so it don't vibrate off the take. This one was actually in the hangar but we needed to be with the airframe. It's all been "We need to make this." And we sit and look at what we need to do and using pure imagination we get a hand drill and drill a hole that should be machined then sand the part that goes in it and fit it and bang. The part is made. That's why we feel like Burt. The difference is I installed a room air conditioner in his garage and that and two pedestal fans and we keep the garage at about 86 degrees when it's 115 outside. Larry goes out there at 7:00 in the morning and turns the A/C on so it will hold the temp. I build a table for him to set the engine halves on with holes for the studs to go through. Then I went to Harbor Freight and bought an engine stand and built extenders to hold the assembles case with room for the mags to be installed. It's on it now and Larry is going to e-mail me the picks. I'll post them when I get them. We do a lot of laughing at what we have to imagine and build just to work on the different parts of the plane. I've been using my Saws-All and half inch drill, and Larry's been on his Sears Work station using a hand held electric high speed sander to port the spider intake. It's a sight to behold I tell ya. You guys need to get Larry started on our adventure in his garage at Reno. He'll keep you laughing.

Flyer57
08-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Here are pics in the garage.
First is the engine on the new Harbor Freight engine stand with garage built extenders so we could put the accessories on.
Then there are Larry and the fat guy is me behind it for posterity.

t-dub
08-16-2009, 07:53 AM
Great stuff Roger, please keep it coming! I love improvisation and innovation like what you guys are doing. Looking forward to seeing you guys and the plane in Reno! :thumbsup:

AAFO_WSagar
08-16-2009, 10:47 AM
This is a great thread but is buried in an old thread... anyone up for a split and new thread it deal?

:dunno:

richb
08-16-2009, 07:19 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!

RichB

Lockheed Bob
08-16-2009, 07:42 PM
Wayne, Good idea. Do it. Apples & oranges.:beerchug: