Help a writer, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help a writer, please

I am posting this, with Wayne's permission, from Howie Keefe of Miss America fame. Please read and reply or forward it. Thanks.
    Betty

"Am sending this to all I know with the slightest brush to aviation in hopes someone will have an idea.

A friend has been commissioned by the Smithsonian's AIR & SPACE Magazine to do an article on an arcane aviation part of WWII, training bomber gunners in-flight shooting at an in-flight RP-63 (P-63-King Cobra specially armored) with bullets made out of non-armor piercing materials. The pilot flying the RP-63 had to be the low man on the totem pole in that squadron!

Jim is trying to locate pilots who flew these rare training missions, but realistically many more gunners (1944-45) who may have trained this way or even knew of the technique.

James Dunaway covered the Olympic Track events for the NY Times. His email address is in the cc: part of this. He lives in Austin, TX. Phone is 512-261-8354. Any clue, lead,source, etc. that may help him contact someone (mother,brother,friend) who trained as a bomber gunner in '44-'45 will be appreciated. His article is due in June."

Re: Help a writer, please

I remember Air Classics (I think it was AC) did a story about these airplanes and pilots many years ago...Maybe someone could let you know who wrote that article and give you some leads...

Comment

look for info on "pinball" and "aircraft"

there is a lot on the web

Comment

Working...
      X