Racin' The Storm - Reno '04 UNL Gold Recap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racin' The Storm - Reno '04 UNL Gold Recap

During a recent photo-archive cataloging session, I 'rediscovered' my original color print negative film documenting the 41st-running of Reno's NCAR Unlimited Gold Race (Sunday-9/19/04). Initially, I was surprised to note I'd chosen to use high-speed ASA-400 print film, over my preferred standard choice of slow fine-grain Kodachrome color slide positive film . But viewing the color negs' proof print photos, refreshed my memories of that day...

The existing light conditions were quite dim & dreary, due to the threatening rain & snow squalls then assailing the Reno/Stead Field racecourse complex. Plunging temperatures dropped-down more than 20-degrees below normal, w/wind gusts exceeding 25-mph. WX-recon flights sent aloft, reported a worsening scenario & a decision was made in favor of scrambling the racers for an early launch of the '04 Unlimited Gold season finale event.

Flying conditions for the air racers were extreme (& bordering on- 'Marginal-VFR' out along the 'V-O-S' portion of the racecourse ), and it was tough-going for everyone outdoors enduring the nasty elements. For those of us in the desert out at the pylons, it was especially-brutal- trying to fend-off the icy wet rain & wind, which was making raceplane photography more difficult than ever. Nonetheless, such things make for even greater drama & excitement!

The '04 Unlimited Gold Race that cold, damp & blustery day was totally- 'HOT' & amazing, and complete w/major irony & surprise: Pilot- Skip Holm's start-to-finish lead flying Terry Bland's #4 DAGO RED, was relinquished to John Penney- flying Lyle Shelton's #77 RARE BEAR, via Holm's fateful drastic inside cut of Outer 4 Pylon on Lap-2 (due to Dago's fogged-up canopy & windscreen hampering Skip's vision & reference).

These following photos recap the '04 UNL Gold Race Results, w/the racers shown (L-R) in their actual finishing order (vs. final standings after Dago's pylon-cut penalty application) & all were taken from Outer 4 Pylon:

Top row -

1. Start of Lap-1: Dago Red leads, w/Rare Bear following closely on the outside, and September Fury running in third, ahead of the pack. (Going for- '6 Golds-in-a-row' - Dago's Lap-1 speed: 484.26-mph!)

2. Skip Holm - P51D #4 DAGO RED (on Lap-3): 2nd-place @ 456.837-av/mph (16-sec. penalty - cut Pylon 4 on Lap-2).

3. John Penney - F8F-2 #77 RARE BEAR (on Lap-7): 1st-place @ 469.961-av/mph.

4. Michael Brown - Sea Fury #232 SEPTEMBER FURY (on Lap-3): 3rd-place @ 455.170-av/mph.

5. Sherman Smoot - Super Yak #86 CZECH MATE (on Lap-7): 4th-place @ 427.410-mph.

Middle Row -

1. Brian Sanders - Sea Fury #8 DREADNOUGHT (on Lap-7): 5th-place @ 426.570-av/mph.

2. Nelson Ezell - Sea Fury #13 FURY (on Lap-2): 6th-place @ 404.869-av/mph.

3. Brent Hisey - P51D #11 MISS AMERICA (on Lap-7): 7th-place @ 378.667-av/mph (for 7-laps completed).

4. Curt Brown - P51D #5 VOODOO (on Lap-6): 8th-place @ 364.728-av/mph (for 7-laps completed).

5. Dan Martin - P51D #20 RIDGE RUNNER III (on Lap-5): 9th-place @ 304.424-av/mph (for 5-laps completed).

Bottom Row -

1. Dago Red & Rare Bear - approaching Outer 5 Pylon on Lap-2 (after Holm's cut of Outer 4 Pylon).

2. "We have- The Check!" - Winning-pilot- John Penney (wearing his new '04 Gold Champion's Jacket) on stage w/Race #77 owner- Lyle Shelton & a joyful- Team RARE BEAR at the RARA 2004 Awards Banquet.

3. John Penney, proudly holds-up the classic Reno NCAR Unlimited Class Gold Championship Trophy at the '04 Awards Banquet finale, after successfully-notching another victory for Lyle Shelton's immensely fan-popular air racing team.

Penney managed to fly an extremely-competitive race against race leader- Skip Holm. After noting Holm's pylon cut, John prudently kept THE BEAR to within a 2-sec. gap close behind DAGO RED on all remaining race laps to capitalize on the cut-penalty (whilst avoiding any pylon cuts himself), and managed to save #77's fan-sponsored sole race engine for another race season. 'WAY-TO-GO - J. P. !!!'

DBD
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BuckyD; 04-10-2009, 01:25 PM.

Re: Racin' The Storm - Reno '04 UNL Gold Recap

Awsome shots Bucky, thanks for posting them!
    Tony

Comment

BRRRR.....cold. Thanks for the memories. We watched the race from the pits and then hurried to the truck thinking that Dago had won. Did not find out about the pylon cut till monday.

Comment

We skipped the jet race that followed the final. Found out about the cut via car radio tuned to the announcers.
        On Lap two it seemed like Penney made a corrective move at pylon 2. Later figured it was due to following on Dago, but correcting to avoid the cut. This would go along with Mr Penney's account of the race (on this very site I believe).

Comment

Great stuff as always. Thanks for sharing.
          Matt
          Super Genius Rocket Scientist
          NCAR Rocks!!!

Comment

I'm also a member of the pylon cut club (sitting in my car in traffic when my cell phone rang with the news). Didn't bring a jacket with me that year cause the weather reports said sunny and warm all week. Live and learn.

Thanks Bucky for reminding me how miserable I was that day.
            No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
            http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

I spent almost that entire day freezing my a$$ off in front of Jim Good's bus trying stay out of the wind.

Comment

Thursday was alright that year. Saturday on the fence was unforgiving. A nice lady out there told me; "Always bring a jacket to an air race". Since then I always have and always will. When I pack for Reno now its for Africa hot thru Sunday Reno '04 cold.
                Won't get fooled again.

Comment

I really like pic #4 because it shows 232 in its full red color scheme and stock wings. You can also see steam from the boil off.

I also like the pic #5 of Dan Martin and that hotrod race #20 RRIII.

Comment

Ya know - I really liked 232's original red wings too!

BTW - "HAPPY BIRTHDAY", Sven!!!

DBD

Comment

Originally posted by SCEPTER View Post
                      I really like pic #4 because it shows 232 in its full red color scheme and stock wings. You can also see steam from the boil off.

I also like the pic #5 of Dan Martin and that hotrod race #20 RRIII.
                      I too became a fan of #20 that week.

I missed your Birthday! For shame. Happy B-Day old timer.
                      You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

First (and only ) Gold race I watched from inside a warm pick-up cab out by the fenceline. Bitterly cold!

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence View Post
                          old timer.
                          Thanks Fence. I'll have one of those beers right now. RRIII is the coolest Mustang in my book.

Last edited by SCEPTER; 04-17-2009, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X