Fed-Ex 'P-1' To Stead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fed-Ex 'P-1' To Stead

After a few years attending the air races- hard core fans know well that it often pays to linger at the airfield awhile, following an exciting action-packed day of racing & airshow events. Besides avoiding departure traffic jams, tarrying a bit longer can put you in the right space & time to witness & enjoy some really uniquely-wonderful aviation 'surprise happenings', like this one.

Saturday - 9/19/92 - Reno/Stead Field's ramp is almost empty, save for a couple pretty red birds (Tom Camp's Yak 11 #58 Maniyak & The Red Knight T-33) & their respective entourages.

Approaching from the east, towards the golden setting sun- a special delivery 'Kodak Moment' arrives, in the form of a magnificent (& always-beautiful)- Boeing 727 in Fed-Ex colors, to make an impressive low-pass. How cool is that?! Here's a trio of color slide snapshots that captured that fun photo op... 'BIG THANKS, Federal Express'!

DBD

(BTW- Suppose many have already heard the news about Fed-Ex merging w/their longtime rival- UPS - they'll soon be called- 'Fed-Up'! )
    Attached Files

Re: Fed-Ex 'P-1' To Stead

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Monday departures were the best until last year when (from what I heard) the FAA said no fly-bys. There were a couple of formation take offs that were fun to watch, though.
      Attached Files

Comment

Back in the 70's and 80's we camped in the Soroptimist's lot just because of the evenings. Easy access to the pits, lots of action. You had your own airshow while you sipped a scotch and cooked some dogs. The Thursday night arrivals of the military static stuff were legendary, and it seemed like EVERYBODY flew.
        It toned waaay down in the 90's.
        One of the reasons I wanted to move nearby was to enjoy it. Alas, the last time the evening was full was in '03 when Executive Sweet flew nightly with numerous planes in tow. Since then there just is not that much action. Is the FAA, RARA or fuel prices behing it?
        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

It's still a pretty good show in the evenings. Last year the highpoint was the three Tigercat's departing and returning from a photo op', and there are generally several birds up until the sun goes down. Seeing a polished P-51, or a gaggle of T-6's, in an overhead break at sunset; varigated colors glinting off the polished surfaces, is truly sight and sound to behold.

The evening arrivals still happen and early in the week are often the RR Invitational display aircraft. An unmatched opportunity to see some very beautiful classic aricraft flying!

Flightline access is limited for security reasons (unlike the 70's, 80's, and early 90's) but a pit pass will get you in if you have one. The sights "through the fence" aren't so bad, the sounds are awesome, and the experience...

From the Optimists RV lot, relaxing in my outdoor easy chair with scotch in hand and watching the evening "airhow" with friends...just can't beat it.

Comment

Not as many as the "old days". Most of my best memories of the races were those evenings. I guess living over the hill hides much but we still charge outside a lot if not already there! Our favorite pastime is outguessing each other on what is coming in or flying around. Also being there the Friday, Saturday and Sunday for arrivals and setup is one of the best times to meet and greet and get some great shots.
            Nowadays it's sitting by the pool in the backyard, cooking dogs with binoculars in hand. And of course the scotch still flows.
            Those three cats thundering over last year was the coolest!
            And tho my wife is no Air Race fan she took several pictures of the planes overhead, as the Unlimiteds, sports and t-6's form up over our (and Deepsky's) house.
            Sorry, rambling, got air race fever...need...fix...Mister Tamborine man...please...
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
              You had your own airshow while you sipped a scotch and cooked some dogs.
              Scotch and Dogs, hmm, got to try that someday. Is that best with yellow mustard or brown mustard?

Comment

Ken,
                Great shot of Santa Rosa racers departing.

PRS has its share of cool post sights and sounds. I think it was '07 when we returned to the field after and were treated to Dan Vance and Speedball showing up out of the blue. Great pass over the field and set up for a landing. In 'o8 PRS after the day we stopped back at the airport and got to see Argonaut do a low and fast strafe over the hangers!

Comment

Originally posted by tim View Post
                  Scotch and Dogs, hmm, got to try that someday. Is that best with yellow mustard or brown mustard?
                  depends on if it's a highland malt or an islay. I think the brown mustard goes best with an islay malt.

Comment

Bucky,

That is a geat shot of me with the red Yak on the ramp!!! You got my best side too!! Ted Curiel is standing next to me. I remember watching the 727 go by.

Hawkeye

Comment

Yea Bucky and Leo, the past sure had some great evenings. I know I have some old prints in a box somewhere. Meanwhile, here are a couple from last year's Thursday.

P.S. Thanks T.F.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Not as many as the "old days". Most of my best memories of the races were those evenings.
                        I've gotta agree with Leo. There was lots of formation flying back in the day. I have a picture of super corsair with white lightning, baby gorilla, and a couple of mustangs circling the field in formation. We used to see that kind of stuff a lot.
                        Last edited by deepsky; 04-10-2009, 06:39 AM.
                        Tony

Comment

Is that best with yellow mustard or brown mustard?
                          After the first couple of scotch's it really doesn't matter.
                          Nice shot of Bear and Glacier! I remember them buzzing around then joining up. Gotta try to stay later out there this year if I get to go. If not, I'll be stopping by evenings only so it's still good.
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Bucky D Great pictures as always, little known fact though about that airplane, the captian of that flight was Scott Grissom, Gus Grissom son. That was back when FEDEX was Federal Express, the company also did a couple of years worth of airshow demonstrations in Hillsboro Oregon with a ValSan modified b727, quire impressive!

ersot
                            Originally posted by BuckyD View Post
                            After a few years attending the air races- hard core fans know well that it often pays to linger at the airfield awhile, following an exciting action-packed day of racing & airshow events. Besides avoiding departure traffic jams, tarrying a bit longer can put you in the right space & time to witness & enjoy some really uniquely-wonderful aviation 'surprise happenings', like this one.

Saturday - 9/19/92 - Reno/Stead Field's ramp is almost empty, save for a couple pretty red birds (Tom Camp's Yak 11 #58 Maniyak & The Red Knight T-33) & their respective entourages.

Approaching from the east, towards the golden setting sun- a special delivery 'Kodak Moment' arrives, in the form of a magnificent (& always-beautiful)- Boeing 727 in Fed-Ex colors, to make an impressive low-pass. How cool is that?! Here's a trio of color slide snapshots that captured that fun photo op... 'BIG THANKS, Federal Express'!

DBD

(BTW- Suppose many have already heard the news about Fed-Ex merging w/their longtime rival- UPS - they'll soon be called- 'Fed-Up'! )
                            Last edited by chuckd; 04-11-2009, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Gotta try to stay later out there this year if I get to go. If not, I'll be stopping by evenings only so it's still good.[/QUOTE]

Evenings are good, just a little slower sometimes. These are from Friday last year.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X