Movie Stars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movie Stars

Watched "Forever Young" AGAIN last night. I'll sit through it cuz the wife loves the movie and it does have some cool B-25 stuff and background planes in it. I knew Steve Hinton was the pilot for the B-25, but was surprised to see Steve Hinton Jr. listed as "Boy with ice cream". Now I have to watch it again to look for him!
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Re: Movie Stars

Originally posted by Leo View Post
    Watched "Forever Young" AGAIN last night. I'll sit through it cuz the wife loves the movie and it does have some cool B-25 stuff and background planes in it. I knew Steve Hinton was the pilot for the B-25, but was surprised to see Steve Hinton Jr. listed as "Boy with ice cream". Now I have to watch it again to look for him!
    "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

I'd like to know what prep they did to the field where they landed the B-25 near the light house. I wondered if they put matting down or graded it or what. In the movid, there is a brief moment before touch down, where the wheels are going thru the top of the grass. I've lloked at Google Earth but can't see anything the would indicate a graded area there.......doesn't mean much since the movie was made a few years ago now.
      Brian

Comment

I don't know how they did the "movie magic" but I don't think they really landed the B-25 at the light house. There's a very nice hotel called the "Warfmaster Inn" in Point Arena California, it's run by Best Western now. It's about an hour south (driving) of Medocino. All the crew stayed there including Mel Gibson. There used to be an autographed picture of him signed to John and Diane, the old caretakers. The Ex and I used to spend our honeymoon there every year for quite a few years (why didn't I push her off the cliff when I had the chance? I want my CD's back!!) But I digress....back to the topic. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how they landed a B-25 there. There's not nearly enough room, and what room there is has VERY soggy grass on it. If they got it in, it was trucked out! However, at the lighthouse they do have a bunch of pictures of the film crew making the movie including the B-25 right next to the lighthouse. Seriously, If Hinton landed that B-25 anywhere in that area, he's a bigger stud than I thought he was, and he already was pretty high in my book!! It is a nice area to visit if your looking for a great quiet place to visit. I might take the future Ex Mrs. Race 29 there someday if I ever meet her!

Race 29
        Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Originally posted by Race 29 View Post
          I might take the future Ex Mrs. Race 29 there someday if I ever meet her!
          Two Niner... Ya gotta believe me on this one... find another lighthouse!

Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Maybe with enough wind coming off the ocean you could do a Doolittle with it... I've been there also and wondered. Anyone here with first hand knowledge?
            There are some great stories out there connected with movie making!
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

We have done this before. Back when Race 29 still had his CDs.

All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!

Also http://www.filminamerica.com/Movies/ForeverYoung/ says they "used a Desert Storm military runway for some of the landings. They rented it from the Department of Defense for just $1 plus the price of shipping."
              Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
              Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Thanks Bill. I gotta start doing my own research. These forums have made me lazy as there is always someone with time or knowledge! In my defense, that thread was in 2006 and that's a long time ago for my memory...
                That had to be absolutely cool to see!
                The last movie I saw done (besides TOR) was a couple of scenes of "Bullit". My grade school goes by during the chase into the hills and we all turned out one day to see the crash and gas station blow up. Took all day and lasts a few seconds on film.
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                  Thanks Bill. I gotta start doing my own research. These forums have made me lazy as there is always someone with time or knowledge! In my defense, that thread was in 2006 and that's a long time ago for my memory...
                  That had to be absolutely cool to see!
                  The last movie I saw done (besides TOR) was a couple of scenes of "Bullit". My grade school goes by during the chase into the hills and we all turned out one day to see the crash and gas station blow up. Took all day and lasts a few seconds on film.

No problem Leo. Not a knock, I just thought it was funny (especially given Race 29's info, sorry Race 29).

If I remember correctly, the bad guys loose five hubcaps as they're chased by Steve in Bullit.
                  Last edited by W J Pearce; 04-08-2009, 10:05 AM.
                  Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                  Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

No knock taken!
                    Reading the two reply's does give you a sense of personal history passing!
                    (forgive me and please bless all the pygmies in New Guinea).
                    As I remember it was 5 hubcaps. We actually wandered into the set one evening on old San Bruno mountain. They stopped the family car and a man leaned in and asked if we could please move along. I didn't realize at the time the reason my mom stammered out a non-sensical answer was the man was Steve McQueen.
                    I've read several accounts over the years of movie stuntwork. Always fascinates me. Gonna do some digging...
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

There is a post on this forum 06-30-2006, Forever Young.......... the Movie that has some good information about the B-25 landing near the light house. One of the locals here in Sonoma County, Bruce Etchell let the movie company use his Stearman. A bunch of us painted it all red for the filming. Steve Hinton flew the plane for a few scenes of the plane flying near the lighthouse. The plane was later used in some Bartles & Jaymes wine cooler commercials that were also filmed in the area.

Jim Long
                      Santa Rosa

Comment

Working...
                      X