Questions about old birds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about old birds

What happened to Tsunami? I forgot...did she crash? How and where?

Same questions for the Pond Racer...I know she crashed..but where was that?

Re: Questions about old birds

Originally posted by BUD_XXX View Post
    What happened to Tsunami? I forgot...did she crash? How and where?

Same questions for the Pond Racer...I know she crashed..but where was that?
    Tsunami crashed on approach to Pierre, South Dakota on the flight home from Reno. Skip Holm had been unable to ferry it the entire way, so Jack (against Skip\'s advice)decided to take his toy home the final couple of legs. My understanding is that Jack exceeded the speed for the flaps and broke the torque-tube connecting them. This set up a split flap condition where one deployed and the other did not. It was at low altitude, and the aircraft rolled at least once, maybe twice before impacting the ground short of the runway.

The Pond Racer crashed during Qualifying at Reno 1993. One engine caught fire and actually seized, preventing it from feathering. At some point, fuel most likely followed the path from the engine pod, down the negative sweep of the leading edge, and into the cockpit. The Pond Racer was equipped with an explosive charge to blow the canopy, and the thought is that Rick decided against using it because of the fuel and/or vapors. The aircraft was setting up for an emergency landing on Runway 26 with the gear down, but was seen to suddenly pitch over and rapidly dive for Lemon Valley. The gear, if I recall, was retracted at this point--most likely to expidite Rick getting it on the ground.

Just opinion here, but most likely there was fire in the cockpit at that point.

The aircraft survived the belly landing in the valley, but fire consumed the aircraft and incapacitated the pilot before rescue crews were able to arrive on scene.

Jim

Comment

Thanks for that Info.

My friend and I were talking about those planes and niether of us has very good memory functions, hence the questions.....Actually we both had pieces of it correct, but had the scenarios reversed...

Again thanks, to the tremendous knowledge base that exists thru the members of this forum.

Comment

OK then here is another question...

What became of the plane that was the "Colortile" plane? Man that plane impressed us out on the "back 40".

Comment

Color Tile was "Stiletto", a scoopless P-51 that had radiators in the wing gun bays, then later boil off cooling. It was changed back to a "stock" Mustang in TF-51 D form. It is named "Diamondback" and operates out of Boise.

P-51 Mustang Survivors: Survivor Home. World War II, North American P-51A, P-51B, P-51C, P-51D, P-51H, F-51D, F-51H Mustang survivor in civilian ownership
          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
          Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Ill never forget that hot landing mat pulled off..

Originally posted by W J Pearce View Post
            Color Tile was "Stiletto", a scoopless P-51 that had radiators in the wing gun bays, then later boil off cooling. It was changed back to a "stock" Mustang in TF-51 D form. It is named "Diamondback" and operates out of Boise.

http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51...45-11471.shtml
            he came in so fast I was really concerned and landing west to east at reno is kind of touchy as the end of the runway sorta turns into a cliff. I think thats the fastest mustang landing I have ever seen! and he did a great job of flying out the energy eventually ground looping it but without any damage.

Comment

Blue Skies to all our fallen heros....

Comment

I'll never forget how Color Tile would come around the back pylon and dive down into the VOS.....sounding every lap like the throttle was pushed up into an insane setting....seemingly willing to blow it up to win.....and I think he did blow it up right in front of us, after smoking hard the previous lap.....I've never before or since heard a V-12 making that insane screammm ......ahhhhhhh...... I need it now......arrrrggggghhhh!

Comment

Who flew Color Tile/Stilletto?

Comment

I pretty sure it was Skip Holm in the ColorTile race when the engine let go.
                    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

That was Skip Holm flying Color Tile. He had duct taped the throttle full forward to the stop and just rode it out until the engine blew. My friends, Larry Rengstorf and Jim Gardner went and checked out the plane later on. They looked in the cockpit and saw the tape on the throttle.

Jim Long
                      Santa Rosa

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce View Post
                        I pretty sure it was Skip Holm in the ColorTile race when the engine let go.
                        Is that the year that it didn't really blow up. I seem to remember something about an oil line coming loose or something that made for an emergency landing, but it not really being blown up.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                          Is that the year that it didn't really blow up. I seem to remember something about an oil line coming loose or something that made for an emergency landing, but it not really being blown up.
                          I don't know. I don't remember. But I think you are correct. I think he started to smoke. Safety plane, which would be Bob H I think, told him he was smoking and to pull off. But everything looked fine to Skip so he stuck with it for a while longer. But once again, I'm not sure.
                          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

it was 1986 and he was trying to pass dregnaught Rick Brickert flying it he pass home pylon and pulled off

Comment

Once again Shawn makes the slam dunk.
                              Last edited by Ken from PG; 04-05-2009, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X