Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Hoover

Howdy to one and all,

I was lucky this last year to see Mr. Bob Hoover speak at the Checkered Flag Club. And yes, I did get to meet him. Hopefully there will be a way to share both the talk that he gave and another interview that followed with all of you.

Has anyone heard and or seen any news about Bob Hoover of late?

I wish him well and the best...and it was indeed a great honor to meet such an aviator.

LonnieP

Re: Bob Hoover

Lonnie,
    I got to meet Bob at last year's races too. I like to tell everyone that I was like a 12 year old girl at a boy band concert. It really was a great honor to meet Bob and I was really impressed by how kind and accommodating he was to the long line of people waiting to see him. It was a rather hot afternoon in September and everyone was waiting. Next thing you know, people from his tent started delivering free bottles of water to the group. Very classy. When I finally got to Bob he was genuinely nice and although age seems to be working against him these days, he really hammed for the camera for me. I look forward to seeing any interview with Mr. Hoover.

Craig

Comment

I got to meet Mr. Hoover in 2000, at my first visit to the Races. Very nice and interesting to talk to. It feels(to me) kinda funny when you're actually in the presence of someone you've read about and admired for so many years... and then you're standing there talking to them, it doesn't seem real, like you can't believe it. He signed a picture for me, and I also had him autograph my pilot's license stating I would rather have his signature on it, rather than some gov't weenie anyday.(In response to the FAA licensing trouble he had encountered in the past!!) He's a very classy gentleman and undoubtedly one of the great aviation icons of all time. I feel very fortunate to have met him.
      Attached Files

Comment

I also had the pleasure of metting Mr. Hoover in 2005 in the buffet line during breakfast at the Reno Hilton. I turned to my wife and said thats Bob Hoover, she said go take a picture with him, All I kept saying is.... thats Bob Hoover. Finally I asked.... Mr. Hoover do you mind if I can get a picture with you, as he set down his plate of food he turned to me and said I would be delighted. We shook hands and smiled. He was so polite and such a gentleman, it was a real honor to meet him.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by 70Mach1; 04-01-2009, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Mr. Hoover,
          He is the man... Straight up and honorable.

I had the luck of meeting him a couple of times and the luck of working on his Aero Commander 500RA.

Stories,
          Bob is bring the Commander in PAO for engines, kicking the rubber and ailerons around on short final the tower call "500RA (N number) are you having any difficulties” Bob said “No Sir"

Adding the smoke system,
          Installed two Pitts smoke systems from Art Sholes brother. Testing the system at PAO run up area. Smoke on and I can't see a thing 30 seconds in and ground calls and says I am obscuring final. I shut off the smoke and turn the plane around to see a cloud of corvis oil sitting over the approach end of 25.

Hamilton air show,
          Added smoke canisters to the tail so the public could see the plane with the engines off. Completed my work and my mother in law and I sit down for lunch with Bob and just having a great chat. A guy asks Bob a question “how long he trains each year before starting the air show year” Bob reply’s "son this is old hat"

Fleet week SFO,
          Bob did his show clean as always, over the bay??? With both engines feathered he did the same show less the wheel tough down on the runway, no runway.

You will not find a better man or pilot. Stop by Reno this year and just inside the pits on the left you can see him.

Comment

Here's a photo taken in the pits in 1997. My daughter Lauren was 5 and finishing up a year of chemotherapy. Bob Hoover signed her hat and sat and talked with her. She is now 16 long since recovered and probably doesn't remember it but I do! My first year at Reno was 1970. I've seen Bob Hoover fly maybe 100 times and never tired of his shows. He is also a first class person who takes time to talk with everyone.
            Last edited by Outer6; 06-30-2009, 08:08 PM.

Comment

I just spoke with the great RA "Bob" Hoover Last night 8:30. He is up and walking around and feels great, considering he just had a heart valve replacement and pace maker install. He is now walking everyday and will be going in for his latest round of tests this coming week. Doctors say he good as new and can resume his normal schedule in a few more days. He sends his best wishes to everyone and wants to say that he is happy to still be with us. He sounded sharp as a tack and was upbeat about his latest health issues. Way to go Bob!!!!!!!

Matt Jackson

Comment

Thanks for the update Matt

I'm very pleased to hear that he is doing so well. As I said in a previous post, getting to meet Mr. Hoover last year was the highlight of the races for me.

Best wishes and another Way To Go Bob!!!

Lonnie

Comment

I had his book " Gentlemen You Have A Race" signed by him but in lean times I had to sell it but if I can get another copy & he is in Reno this year I hope to have him sign it. A great gentleman & contributor to air shows/air racing community.
                  Lockheed Bob

Comment

Mr Jackson,

thank you for the update on Mr. Hoover, I'm happy to hear that he is feeling well and wish him many years of continued health.

I had the honor of meeting Mr Hoover on a few occasions, as well as watching him fly. Hoover behind the stick makes everyone else look like amatures. I always aspired to be able to fly as smooth and effortless as Bob, never could, but gave me something to reach for.

As mentioned, Mr. Hoover is the consummate gentleman, you won't meet a nicer person. Guys like him are few and far between, we're lucky to have men of his cailber with us.

Comment

Working...
                    X