How do you...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you...

I saw, in other thread of this forum, that some spare parts for a radial engine are offered from brand new raw material, now.
    That make me wonder about, in air racing, under the experimental class, you order a custom made engine part, install it, and thatīs set? or...the supplier have to show a certificate on the wall, approved by the proper organization ( FAA, RARA, etc...), showing that it is airworthy?.
    Iīm afraid that it is not so easy as to copy the material and the dimensions. Testing and money, and testing and money again.... is the constant in highly stressed components. So how do air racing teams manage that issues? Even in critical situations when they are close to clasification time.
    I can imagine that when you are dealing with overhauled engines you are in the right way, but if you have a broken gear, or bearing, or anything else, you pick the used spare from the shelf, that one you donīt remember where it came from, and mount it in your craft? Or even the case of a new spare part that some guy brought to you some year ago aiming you test it, but you didnīt, and that part is the only one you have around.
    It may seem a stupid question for many of you, but really I want to know how do you manage these situations.
    Thanks

Re: How do you...

not a stupid question at all.

the answer is it depends.

it depends on how the aircraft is registered.

if the aircraft is registered as experimental then the rules allow just about anything. if the aircraft is a certified aircraft. ie normal catagory, then the parts must be approved parts.

there are others here that know a lot more what can be done withing a registration class, and the process to get a part approved than i do however.
    bob burns
    ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
    "dont mess with texas"

Comment

Originally posted by tow-3 View Post
      not a stupid question at all.

the answer is it depends.

it depends on how the aircraft is registered.

if the aircraft is registered as experimental then the rules allow just about anything.
      Thank you tow-3.
      My concern is about "experimental". How is it managed in unlimited air racing. As you say "the rules allow just about anything" , so what they use or install in the aircraft is only the team responsability? or there is a FAA or RARA inspector watching, controlling it?

Comment

the rules for an experimental certificate are just that, experimental. it is up to the operator and the person signing off the condition inspection, to determine what is airworthy or not in the eyes of the FAA. now, an inspector could ground an experimental saying it is un-airworthy. The unlimited tech guys do inspect unlimiteds at reno, and they could, and i think that they have, grounded aircraft before. for the most part, the people involved in air racing are very knowledgeable in aircraft practices and nobody is going to go put their A>> on the line in and aircraft that they think is not airworthy.
        Last edited by tow-3; 04-02-2009, 06:40 PM.
        bob burns
        ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
        "dont mess with texas"

Comment

Last year when the Rare Bear gang was installing the new ignition system, a gentleman from the FAA came by and talked to Dave about the aircraft and the changes being done. Since the only real change on the aircraft for last year was the ignition system, they were only going to be required to put a minimum amount of test time on it before being cleared to fly as by the FAA. I will seek further input about this process and pass it along. Very good question...and food for thought.

LP

Comment

Working...
          X