Spetember Fury/ September Pops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spetember Fury/ September Pops

Those anyone have any knowedge of what Mr. Lewis's plans are for these?

Re: Spetember Fury/ September Pops

I know "pops" is getting a repaint, to what I'm not sure yet(but I believe it will be military) and I'm not sure if "fury" is getting repainted but I would assume so?

Comment

Originally posted by steve D View Post
      I know "pops" is getting a repaint, to what I'm not sure yet(but I believe it will be military) and I'm not sure if "fury" is getting repainted but I would assume so?
      Do you happen to know if Pops is going to keep the stork logo? There's some quite good history about that.

Comment

Really was hoping someone had knowledge if Mr Lewis's plan was to continue racing September Fury??

Comment

Originally posted by mrcraigarcher View Post
          Do you happen to know if Pops is going to keep the stork logo? There's some quite good history about that.

Yes but you have to remember now, that the airplane has a new caretaker so a new chapter in its history begins.

Comment

I don't have any first hand knowledge, and can only speek as to what my racing strategy would be. But while the rest of the world was sleeping Rod Lewis pulled off a brilliant coup d'état. See he now owns every except for one 988TC18EA-2 nose case in the free world. Lufthansa got all the rest of the thirteen nose cases when they bought Maurice Roundy's Constellations. There are enough parts from a survey of the condition of those we had done a few years back for six or seven operational engines. Lufthansa will not be selling any. So effectively with Rod Lewis owning Rare Bear, and the American Spirit which both require that nose case and that in effect can now shut down any other attempts to succesfully race anything with a 3350. He can and stategically should castrate Fury with a fast nose and see how fast it will go that way. Saving the others for the other two racers that would give him about five and a half nose cases leaving three and a half as spares, and the one left on the outside is not something you would want to build a racing legacy on.

So like I said I'm not on that inside track but if it were me, I'd be happily in the game over for the 3350 boys position. Now let's see what Kerch does with a 4360.
            Last edited by BellCobraIV; 03-27-2009, 08:25 AM.
            John Slack

Comment

It is interesting to see that all of the really fast radial unlimited's seem to be going to rod lewis... but then again, if it keeps them racing, wicked cool... but also thanks BellCobraIV for explaining a little more of what happens on the inside of the pit stall that not many people see
              race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
                castrate Fury
                460mph?

Comment

Not even...

Comment

I don't have any first hand knowledge, and can only speek as to what my racing strategy would be. But while the rest of the world was sleeping Rod Lewis pulled off a brilliant coup d'état. See he now owns every except for one 988TC18EA-2 nose case in the free world. Lufthansa got all the rest of the thirteen nose cases when they bought Maurice Roundy's Constellations. There are enough parts from a survey of the condition of those we had done a few years back for six or seven operational engines. Lufthansa will not be selling any. So effectively with Rod Lewis owning Rare Bear, and the American Spirit which both require that nose case and that in effect can now shut down any other attempts to succesfully race anything with a 3350. He can and stategically should castrate Fury with a fast nose and see how fast it will go that way. Saving the others for the other two racers that would give him about five and a half nose cases leaving three and a half as spares, and the one left on the outside is not something you would want to build a racing legacy on.

So like I said I'm not on that inside track but if it were me, I'd be happily in the game over for the 3350 boys position. Now let's see what Kerch does with a 4360.
                    Now if I remember correctly(I suffer from CRS) it was mentioned a while back that Matt Jackson, after flying Dreadnought, was thinking about putting a R-4360 in American spirit before he sold it. Was this serious or just a casual what if?

Jarrod

Comment

... he now owns every except for one 988TC18EA-2 nose case in the free world... can now shut down any other attempts to successfully race anything with a 3350...
                      OK, except for the small fact that with a simple phone call and fax to any of a dozen aerospace gear cutters we can duplicate the magical "slow nose case" gears and install them in any of the other competing engines. This is from certificated aircraft gear manufacturers, experienced in the HP, torque, and impulse levels of 3350's.

Better yet, actually ASK these gear cutters for design help on making superior gears of the actual required ratios (as opposed to what was cut 60 years ago) that fit into the existing cases on the existing splines vs. the 60 year old state-of-the-art.

I've already made the calls years ago. Write a check (for less than an old nose case costs), and the gears will show up in 90 days. Or we can go on using parts made before most of us were born...
                      Last edited by Blue Foam; 03-28-2009, 10:59 PM.
                      Eric Ahlstrom

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Foam View Post
                        OK, except for the small fact that with a simple phone call and fax to any of a dozen aerospace gear cutters we can duplicate the magical "slow nose case" gears and install them in any of the other competing engines. This is from certificated aircraft gear manufacturers, experienced in the HP, torque, and impulse levels of 3350's.

Better yet, actually ASK these gear cutters for design help on making superior gears of the actual required ratios (as opposed to what was cut 60 years ago) that fit into the existing cases on the existing splines vs. the 60 year old state-of-the-art.

I've already made the calls years ago. Write a check (for less than an old nose case costs), and the gears will show up in 90 days. Or we can go on using parts made before most of us were born...
                        Erich,
                        Allow me to show you something. We can go back through lines and lines of your own posts. that show the frustration that you have had with the Unlimited guys not buying into ECU,s or different composite items, or better coatings. (even though there have been coatings used for years) NOW what the heck makes you think that any of them are going to make a custom nose case for the R-3350? We both know it could be done, and we both know the probablity is extremely rare. But don't yell at everyone that everybody already doing this stuff is stupid. It doesn't look good on you, the fact of the matter is that even Mike Brown and Rod Lewis have/had budgets. When offered an extremely rare part for the nose last year, Mike Brown said No thanks and Dave Cornell said "I'll see if we can approve it." which they did. end result Yes this stuff is possible and you are not the only one that has made phone calls and had discussions with the group at the top. But you are not the Lone Ranger. You are correct a lot of the time but money is still the big issue with technology in air racing. Not the lack of knowledge.
                        John Slack

Comment

Well said John. We all know the technology is out there but the big thing is cost other wise we would have more boil off systems,griffon powered planes & of course more unlimited new makes.
                          Lockheed Bob

Comment

So John, just curious...was the new gear better in design/material that Dave purchased with Rod's approval?
                            Last edited by Hans Oberev; 04-02-2009, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Mr Slack,

I was wondering what makes that particular nose case gear set so special that it is the most ideal for racing with a 3350?

Hayden
                              race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Working...
                              X