Precious Metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Precious Metal?

Does anyone know what's going on with Precious Metal? I heard awhile back that Ron was retiring, but what about PM? I can't find any website for PM that would have any info. She's such a beautiful racer, I hope to see her in the air again!

Race29
    Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Re: Precious Metal?

Good question. I'd be interested to know that info as well. I've got an engine or two that surrrrre would look good in the Precious Metal hangar, as spares. ;-)

Gary

Comment

I believe hes 'retired' from racing

as to the fate of the plane I don't know. Also he was recently in a crash with his beech and I don't know how badly he was hurt but he did get out of it ok as far as I know.

Comment

Re: I believe hes 'retired' from racing

Originally posted by JET1 View Post
        as to the fate of the plane I don't know. Also he was recently in a crash with his beech and I don't know how badly he was hurt but he did get out of it ok as far as I know.
        NTSB Prelim Report
        I didn't speak to Ron but saw a couple of news reports that stated that he got a pretty good whack to the head but got out of the hospital in a fairly short time..

Could have been a LOT worse!
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Ouch! Thank the good Lord he made it out!

Race 29

Comment

PM was bought by someone is in "cold" storage. Stored possibly for a long, long, VERY long time......................
            MG

Comment

too bad...

Originally posted by racersedge View Post
              PM was bought by someone is in "cold" storage. Stored possibly for a long, long, VERY long time......................
              It was a pretty--SLOW--- but pretty airplane. I got into it after the race a couple of years ago and it was not as bad as I thought. I also got in John Crockers plane once and closed the canopy at which point I figured out why he always flew so high and wide...man that thing was a claustrophobic's nightmare!
              One thing I did notice in precious metal was the heat. it had been towed back to the pits and had been on the ground and shut down for 45 minutes or so but the cockpit had to be 110 or more.. Those Griffons are mighty HOT engines!

Comment

Why would someone buy a plane like that just to place it in cold storage? Maybe it's in a museum? Anyone know who bought her? There's nothing available on the FAA website.

Race 29

Comment

A second search on the F.A.A. website still has Lake Air INC. as the owner.

Race 29

Comment

Does anyone know who bought Precious Metal? Was it recently?

Race 29

Comment

What I don't understand is, why would someone spend as much on an airplane as Precious Metal would cost, and then put it in "cold storage for a VERY long time"??? An investment? A stock P-51 would better serve that purpose. Also, the word storage to me conjures up images of an aircraft disassembled and tucked away somewhere. Is this the case?

Comment

I really don't think it is. Your absolutly right about the investment angle. A highly modified racer doesn't do any owner any good in long term storage. With insurance and storage fees, why even buy the damn thing? I'm sure it's not in long term storage anywhere. I don't know where MG got his info, and only posted one cryptic blurb on the subject. I don't mean to sound harsh, just stating facts.

The info from the F.A.A. says that Ron Still owns Precious Metal, but I don't know what he plans to do with her. After surviving that accident, I wouldn't be surprized if he just relaxed for awhile. That would be tough to come back from any crash!

Race29

Comment

So does anyone have any further information? A flight instructor friend of mine got to help out with the pit crew several years back and it would be nice to know.

Ryan

Comment

Re: too bad...

Originally posted by JET1 View Post
                            It was a pretty--SLOW--- but pretty airplane. I got into it after the race a couple of years ago and it was not as bad as I thought. I also got in John Crockers plane once and closed the canopy at which point I figured out why he always flew so high and wide...man that thing was a claustrophobic's nightmare!
                            One thing I did notice in precious metal was the heat. it had been towed back to the pits and had been on the ground and shut down for 45 minutes or so but the cockpit had to be 110 or more.. Those Griffons are mighty HOT engines!
                            Not that it's --SLOW--, just that it hasn't really been pushed hard by an owner since 1988.

Comment

One of my favorite planes.

I had heard it was for sale and if someone does not buy it soon, PM could be turned back into a stocker.

Ouch.
                              '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Working...
                              X