Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-106 CORNFIELD BOMBER LANDS ITSELF

Fun story ~ Cloudchaser

F-106 (58-0787) is the famous "Cornfield Bomber". In 1970, while assigned to the 71st FIS at Malmstrom AFB, Montana, its pilot ejected during an inflight emergency. The pilot somehow got himself into a flat spin -- this is generally considered unrecoverable in an F-106 and the book says to get out. After the pilot did just that, 58-0787 recovered itself from this unrecoverable position. In a vain attempt to recover, the pilot had trimmed it to takeoff trim and engine throttle back. After it recovered itself, it flew wings-level to the ground and made a near-perfect belly landing in a farmer's snow-covered field.

When the local sheriff arrived on the scene, the engine was still running. On a slight incline, the F-106 would move slightly as the snow under it melted which got the sheriff quite energized.

A depot team from McClellan AFB recovered the aircraft and it was eventually returned to service. When the 71st FIS was disbanded in 1971, 58-0787 went to the 49th FIS, my first squadron. Some considered it a lucky ship, others a jinx ship. We all referred to it as the "Cornfield Bomber".

We would occasionally run into ex-71st FIS guys at William Tell and ragged them unmercifully about the "emergency" so dire the plane landed itself. 58-0787 is in its 49th FIS markings at the USAF Museum and I have been to see this old friend several times. As pleased as I am to see the 49th FIS Eagle immortalized for millions to see, a part of me wishes they would paint one side in 71st FIS markings to ensure visitors know it wasn't the 49th that abandoned this perfectly good airplane.

That story reminds me of Flip Wilson jumping out of an A-7E. He had compressor stalls and the engine would not run above idle. He made a precautionary approach to Crow's Landing (outlying field around Merced, CA), landed long and ejected as he went off the end of the runway. The plane rolled to a stop undamaged in the field. Flip sheepishly went over, shut down the engine and retrieved his camera & jacket out of the cockpit.
    Last edited by Cloudchaser427; 06-30-2009, 04:29 PM.

Re: F-106 CORNFIELD BOMBER LANDS ITSELF

Actually, airplanes can do a pretty good job of flying themselves. It's often the pilot that screws everythng up.

Interesting story though, thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by Skyracer; 03-19-2009, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Fascinating. Many thx for the post.

Comment

Thanks for sharing this cool story. I was @ Tyndall AFB in '79/80 with lots of 106s on the line. Hard to picture a ship of this size & type making an uneventful gear-up, off-field landing. Bet that impressed some folks. Love the Flip Wilson story. I drive by that field pretty frequently.
        Matt
        Super Genius Rocket Scientist
        NCAR Rocks!!!

Comment

Well since I now know Billy Kelley reads this site, maybe he will tell the story of his and Lyle's mayday in the piper cub.
          John Slack

Comment

Thats a neat story. I took a pic of Crows landing summer of '07.

Comment

Originally posted by WASP-kid View Post
              Thanks for sharing this cool story. I was @ Tyndall AFB in '79/80 with lots of 106s on the line. Hard to picture a ship of this size & type making an uneventful gear-up, off-field landing. Bet that impressed some folks. Love the Flip Wilson story. I drive by that field pretty frequently.
              Hi Matt ~ Were you stationed at Tyndall, and if so did you get any F-106 time ?

Cloudchaser

Comment

Originally posted by Cloudchaser427 View Post
                Hi Matt ~ Were you stationed at Tyndall, and if so did you get any F-106 time ?

Cloudchaser
                I was there in '79 & '80. Got lots of hours walking around 106s carrying an M-16. Most of the flying activity there at that time was interceptor weapons training. We had 2-seat 106s, F-101s, T-33s and F-102 drones while I was there. Tyndall was home to the only navy in the Air Force. They had a small fleet of recovery vessels to collect the dead target drones out of the gulf. There were 2 alert 106s in shelters that would launch toward Cuba every time a blip showed up in the wrong place on the radar screen. I believe the base has Raptors now.

Sorry my story isn't more glamorous. How about you?
                Matt
                Super Genius Rocket Scientist
                NCAR Rocks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
                  Well since I now know Billy Kelley reads this site, maybe he will tell the story of his and Lyle's mayday in the piper cub.
                  Someday John- right now we in the aviation world in SD are going thru a bad period, as our old "leader" is in pretty bad shape. Cecil Ice was one of the old supporters of the Bear when there wasn't a lot of sponsorship.

Billy KeLLy

You got to many e's in my last name. Take care John I'll be in touch

Comment

Driving from Havre, MT to Gt. Falls, MT we saw the fighter plane sitting in the field not long after it landed itself. We read about it in the Gt. Falls Tribune newspaper the next day.

Comment

If it had been my cornfield that the plane landed in, I would have told the Air Force that it is now "my airplane."

The pilot abandoned it when he bailed out and it is now considered "mine, all mine" and you can't have it back unless you pay me big bucks for "my newly acquired airplane." which your pilot abandoned.

I'm sure the Air Force security forces would have put me in custody and removed their airplane, but I would put up a legal issue that it was abandoned and they just can't go around abandoning airplanes and then expect to get them back...
                      Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 03-24-2009, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
                        If it had been my cornfield that the plane landed in, I would have told the Air Force that it is now "my airplane."

The pilot abandoned it when he bailed out and it is now considered "mine, all mine" and you can't have it back unless you pay me big bucks for "my newly acquired airplane." which your pilot abandoned.

I'm sure the Air Force security forces would have put me in custody and removed their airplane, but I would put up a legal issue that it was abandoned and they just can't go around abandoning airplanes and then expect to get them back...

Yeah, But then the Air Force would have called their friend the IRS and would claim that you "abandoned" your cornfield when you spent that time in the courthouse. They work together like that. Do you think the IRS would consider an F-106 that was abandoned on your property as income? and at what value? Quick we need an accountant to figure the Air Forces depreciation shedule, and are they going to allow the windfall to be taken over any number of years or does it have to be taken all at once? Quick Skyvandelta needs to know.
                        Last edited by BellCobraIV; 03-25-2009, 07:29 AM.
                        John Slack

Comment

Working...
                        X