Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This could do wonders for building Unlimited race engines.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This could do wonders for building Unlimited race engines.

This was posted on the Datsun roadster forum, but heck it will work just about anyplace. If there is a shortage of parts for a (insert engine here) than take a good part and run it past this and get it duplicated!

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/...tml?vid=944641
    Its a pretty darn cool tool that doesn't cost a lot in the grand scheme of things.

Will

Re: This could do wonders for building Unlimited race engines.

As Hewell Howser would say, "That's amazing!"
    "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

yes it is very cool....

the initial idea was born in star trek! the universal transporter. How do you move items from one place to another instantly. This is the technology that allows that to happen. I don't think we will see it working on living things....for a while, but an enterprising aviation buff with internet access, a scanner, and a printer could turn out 3d mock-ups for anything. also imagine it scanning a skeletal hand and reproducing it in a durable material.....its the age of machines!

Comment

My dentist makes caps, crowns, etc., "while you wait". Scans your worn out tooth, preps it, scans what's left, then creates a virtual "tooth" on the computer (while you watch). That is fed to a milling machine (right beside the chair I might add) and eleven minutes later a perfectly fitting color-matched "tooth" is ready for installation. Similar processes are currently being used in the medical world to make replacement boney parts, joints, etc.

I just finsihed design of some fairly complex injection molded parts at work. Emailed the model drawings across the U.S. and had prototype parts the next day. How kewl is that?

Want some "hot rod" parts for your Merlin? Heck, that's not even a challenge.

Comment

I was thinking along the lines of Alison rods for a "Mouse" Merlin, or parts for a slow nose case for a R3350. Yeah, anything can be duplicated now.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
            I was thinking along the lines of Alison rods for a "Mouse" Merlin, or parts for a slow nose case for a R3350. Yeah, anything can be duplicated now.

Will
            It could be duplicated before, it's just a matter of $$$$$$$$. A plastic replica is one thing, tooling up to make one from appropriate material is another.
            "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

If you check out Jay Leno's garage , he also has videos about the Collings Foundation's airplanes in addition to the ones about all his old cars. Easy way to lose a couple of hours while surfin' the web
              Russ
              Knotty Girl Crew

Comment

Its good to be Jay. "And then we can just send it over to the ($100k) Fadal CNC mill we have here in the shop and machine one from billet."

That damn scanner has every R&D Manager in every small scale shop in the country bugging their mangers for a new toy. I've already told my guys to justify it with a list of the parts they propose to make, and expected cost savings...still waiting for their reply...
                No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

"DIRECT METAL LASER SINTERING" could be used to make some complex-shaped parts, but I don't think you could make reliable connecting rods using that technology. Metal powder parts aren't as strong as mechanically forged ones.
                  Last edited by AirDOGGe; 03-18-2009, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X