No announcement yet.

Dago Red condtion before being rebuilt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dago Red condtion before being rebuilt.

On their website, there is a picture of Dago Red after it had crashed in 1970 and before it was rebuilt as Dago Red. Hard to believe it would be repaired in the condition it was in after being wrecked. Look at the chains that are being used to hold it down to the trailer. Those same chain tie downs are used to hold down wrecked/destroyed cars as they are being driven on flatbed trucks to the scrap metal yard.

Here is the picture: http://www.dagored.org/WarbirdInternational.pdf

Text from the article

"Paint it just like your cigar wrapper, honey! You just know how I love your big cigars," gushed the suicide blonde standing next to the puffing and rather porcine new owner of a P-51D Mustang on a spring day in 1970. It wasn't the strangest request that the folks from Aero Sport had ever heard, but it certainly ranked in the top dozen!

Aero Sport, during the 1960s and 1970s had become the top spot for Mustang maintenance and rebuilds. On visits to their vintage World War II hangar at Chino Airport, it was not unusual to find a half-dozen Mustangs parked on their ramp with another half-dozen crammed inside. During this time period, while Mustangs were on the top end of the Warbird price scale, they were still not selling for all that much money and often, owners would not be overly concerned about their mount's maintenance. However, once in the care of Aero Sport, an owner would be guaranteed that his Mustang would be maintained to exacting standards.

The aircraft that was the object of attention for the Aero Sport crew and the new owner was a rather bedraggled P-51D registered N5410V. Built at the North American's Inglewood factory, P-51D-30-NA USAAF s/n 44-74996 was destined to see stateside service and would go on to fly with the Air National Guard. After being withdrawn from ANG service, the Mustang was flown to McClellan AFB, Sacramento, California, for storage and disposal.

A study of Sacramento Air Materiel Area records finds that there "were plans to sell 75 F-51s by sealed bid on 12 August 1957." As of 14 January 1958, there were still at least 50 5-51s at the McClellan and by 11 March of the same year the number had increased to 61 Mustangs. The majority of these Mustangs, along with other types of ex-military aircraft, were sold off during various auctions.

The first auction, offering 75 Mustangs on 3 September 1957, was something of an experiment for the USAF as documents from the time record: "This Headquarters (Dayton) is in receipt of a message from MRD stating that they have been advised by the Office of the Air Attaché to the French Embassy that the French Air Force no longer contemplates the purchase of the 145 F-51 aircraft located at your headquarters (McClellan). Therefore the 75 surplus F-51 aircraft on hand are released and authorized for test sale in accordance with this HQ letter dated 20 November 1956. Limited reclamation may be completed on 67 of the remaining 70 aircraft being held pending results of the test sale. Three TF-51 aircraft s/n 44-84655, 44-84658, and 45-11359 will not be reclaimed pending determination of possible requirements for sale to the government of Nicaragua.

" During one of the auctions, 44-74996 was sold and was assigned the civil registration of N5410V. One of the first civil owners was Prevost F. Smith Parachute Company of Santee, California, and we wonder if the Mustang was involved in any sort of parachute testing program.

When the Mustang completed its maintenance at Aero Sport, the plane was rolled out in its new cigar wrapper colors of an overall rather dull gold with red trim.

The Mustang did not survive long in the hands of the new owner. On 16 August 1970, the Mustang took off at about 1400 from Buchanan Field, Concord, California. At that time, the field was closed for an air show and the Mustang was apparently going to make some passes. The owner's son was in the rear seat. At this point in time, the 51 year-old pilot was not instrument rated and had accumulated 864 flying hours of which 55 were in type. At around 1430 hours, the Mustang was in the traffic pattern for final approach. During approach the Merlin failed (FAA reports stated "undetermined reasons") and the aircraft fell out of the air.

Unfortunately, Mrs. Jessie Bigcraft was enjoying a cup of tea in her apartment near the airport's flight path when the Mustang, which had clipped some trees and a power pole on its way down, slammed inverted through the apartment. The force of the impact was so great that the Mustang continued on and imbedded itself in a vacant house. The occupants of the Mustang emerged from the debris with relatively minor injuries considering the nature of the crash. Mrs. Bigcraft was killed.

After an investigation, the heavily damaged Mustang (listed as destroyed by the FAA) was placed on a trailer and moved to Buchanan Field. The wreck was obtained by well-known Warbird owner Mike Coutches who held on to the remains until 1981 when he sold the plane to Bill "Tiger" Destefani. Tiger had been bitten by the air racing bug and he wanted to create the world's fastest racer and N5410V would form the basis for the Unlimited named Dago Red.
    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 02-19-2009, 08:51 PM.

'just dump her on the trailer bob..."

...upside down ...its just junk...OY!

Comment

Re: Dago Red in wrecked condtion before being rebuilt.

Next time a Thread starts with "Dago Red in Wrecked condition" The O.P. should be Banned instantly.

not how I like to start my day.....

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
        Next time a Thread starts with "Dago Red in Wrecked condition" The O.P. should be Banned instantly.

not how I like to start my day.....
        ...and "Wildfire in the VOS" got a few people all a titter....
        deep breath............read slowly.............

Comment

...N5410V...taxing out from AeroSport...6 May 1967...

Comment

Just wondering, which issue of Warbirds International did the accident report pdf come from?

By the way, cool photo Sledge!

T J

Comment

It makes me remember those very old post stamps that besides having some part torn away today cost a lot more because its accidented life.
              Nice story, and amazing work done on it.

Comment

My first impression was, " Is that any worse then the Bearcat that Lyle started with ?? "

bf1
                One more blade and a little less roar, Team Rare Bear ROCKED in 2004 !

Comment

My dad was Prevost Floyd Smith. He owned and operated Prevost F. Smith Parachute Manufacturing Company at Gillespie Field, Santee, CA.

Most of his defense contracts were with Ryan Aeronautical Company (Firebee drones) and Northrop (drones). His father was James Floyd Smith http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Floyd_Smith.

In 1960 Prevost purchased N5410V, fully airworthy but with no radio, for $6,500. The installed -7 engine had about 200 hours on it, but no worries; included was a new -7 engine in a crate. The plane was fire-engine red with a black stripe from the stacks back, and curving down from the front of the stacks - kind of an upside down Nike swoosh.

Having done parachute testing over Clark's Dry Lake at Borrego Springs, CA, in the late 1940s and 1950s in an old ragged out AT-6, my dad felt competent to fly this aircraft. Taxiing out one day, after many dry runs down the runway to get used to the torque, the airport administrator intercepted him and asked him what made him think he could safely fly it. His response was, "Well, I know my C-I-G-F-T-P-R," the old takeoff checklist: controls, instruments, gas, flaps, trim, prop, run-up. So the administrator said, "OK." But the F-51 was never used for any kind of testing. Mostly he terrorized local residents of the mountains and desert east of San Diego, flathatting.

After buying a VOR, he liked to fly through thunderheads over the Laguna Mountains in August to try his skills at triangulating his position. To me, this was nuts. But it was new and fun for him. Unfortunately he came back one day with mild hail damage, which was a real crime against the aircraft. He also, against the book, insisted on 3-point landings, which meant that at touchdown he was going to probably go left or right, but not straight. The laminar wing stalled too abruptly. With me aboard, he tore out at least one runway light at Palm Springs, damaging the right gear door.

After seeing an identically painted Mustang crash and kill its pilot at the Las Vegas 1000 mile air race around 1966, dad decided to repaint his airplane and came up with the awful "cigar wrapper" scheme. He would have resented the cigar wrapper reference, as he was a fierce anti-smoker (and anti-drinker). The paint scheme was his hodge podge concoction of ideas certainly no one could decipher. As a teenager I was highly embarrassed by it. But still it was fun flying in the back.

Dad only took one real trip in the aircraft. Around 1962 he flew one Saturday from Gillespie Field to Klamath Falls to spend the night at Crater Lake. He flew back the next day, making it the longest vacation of his I ever witnessed. If I remember, the flight took 2 hours, 20 minutes, burning 60 gph at econ cruise (315 knots).

In December 1969, Smith Parachute Company burned to the ground one rainy night and was a total loss. Dad did not believe in insurance and basically lost everything. Shortly thereafter he sold the Mustang to someone (I think) in or near Sacramento.

Comment

Thanks for sharing the history! We're almost neighbors. I actually "live" (where my stuff is) on the Long Beach peninsula, but I'm up in the area weekly, usually..

Welcome to the forum!
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: Dago Red condtion before being rebuilt.

Thanks...and thanks for it! The photo of my dad taxiing out from Aero Sport is a much better one than any I have. Bruce

Comment

..Bruce...

..Thanks for the historical info on N5410V and your father and grandfather...

..PM if you want a larger/better version of the pic..

Sledge

Comment

Great Story Bruce!
                          Thanks

Comment

Ah, guys ...?

Tried the link and ...

"This Account Has Been Suspended
                            Please contact the billing/support department as soon as possible."

Not a good sign.

$
                            "Man was meant to fly -- the earth is for worms!"
                            Martin Caidin

Comment

Never say die!

Comment

Working...
                              X