X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How About...?

A 4360 powered Bearcat? Discuss.

Re: How About...?

Wouldn't the 4360 be bigger than the bearcat?
    Tony

Comment

4360 with contra props and shorter gear thus beng able to fit the engine into the hull of the F8F.

That would be the ultimate speedster with "almost unlimited power and speed" IMHO.
      http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think you would have a heck of a time with the CofG. A 4360 isn't light, and there isn't much airframe to fill with ballast behind it. I think in the long run, you would run into diminishing returns pretty quickly. They work on a Sea Fury because its a bigger airframe, as is a Corsair. Still, look at the amounts of mods required to make those work.

Will

Comment

If anyone has been around the 'Bear' when they cycle the landing gear, you may have noticed that they have to put a little weight back at the tail to keep the aircraft from tipping forward. Not a lot mind you, but it's still a concern. Now how much more does a 4360 weigh over a 3350?

LP

Comment

from wikipedia :

4360...... 96.5 x 55" 3970 lbs

3350...... 78 x 55" 2670 lbs

quite a difference regarding c.g.

Kevin

Comment

It was the 3350 powered Yak that made me think of this.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, that Yak has flight issues as well. They might be fixed by now, but I think I remember reading that it was more than a handful to fly.

Will

Comment

Sure hope we see Mr. Awesome (aka Frostbite ?) fly again. Did the T-33 epennage that D.G. added solve most of the handling issues? Sorry, don't want to deviate from the thread too much.

Kevin

Comment

Sorry, that word should be spelled (empennage.) Couldn't figure out how to edit the post today.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                    X