Pylon1.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pylon1.com

Just had an email from Mark Kallio and it appears that they're having a few problems in their move to the new server.

I emailed Mark to tell him that he could use this board to announce things but since he's having problems with the server, it bounced, since many of you who visit here visit pylon1 also, I decided to post this here.

From what I gather, a minor glitch in the software is keeping the site down for the moment, all should be working well fairly soon.

Mark, if you read this... good luck! Been there!!

Wayne Sagar
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Pylon1

Wayne- Thanks for the update on the Pylon1 site.

I hope Mark and Gang get the problems solved soon-

I enjoy Pylon1 AND AAFO..... All the best, Randy Goss
    Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
    RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Randy, trust me, I know what he's going through! This server move stuff and other problems with servers can be a royal PITA!

Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Thanks Wayne!

Actually the guy that is doing the setup on the new server had forgotten a few key things - but corrected most of these last night and things are progressing with the move. Email functionality is still down - we'll just have to tackle that problem later this afternoon. Although the guy that's helping has his Cisco certification & is very knowledgable with the OS software on the server, he's still a little unfamiliar with all of the ins & outs on setting up a web server for virtual hosting. But the guy is one sharp cookie and I have every reason to believe he'll get all of this lined out before too much longer.

I know one thing for sure - I'll owe this guy big time after it's all said and done. Most of this stuff is well beyond me - I'm more used to that nice & friendly GUI to set everything up. Although this server doesn't have that, it being less then 25% of the cost of the former server makes it a lot easier to live with come the end of the month. I'll get the hang of it - but for now I'm totally in the dark.

On the bright side - at least i didn't get the normal 30+ spam email messages this morning.

Thanks again for the post Wayne - and yes, looks like I'll need all the good luck I can get. If I can get any (good luck that is ), then we should be back online Tues or Wed.

All the best,

Mark K
        Mark K....

Comment

Mark, Glad to see you're keeping your sense of humor during this move! I know, it's hard to do at times!

No GUI?? OMG!! I'd be lost without having that for a lot of the stuff.. I've had to learn basic "linux" command line stuff to protect the server and keep my sanity but I'd be totally lost without the GUI!!!!

The old familar Cobalt one was a breeze.. the newer ones at RS are not so much so, not really difficult just different..

Anyway... keep the faith and feel free to post progress reports if you don't get it running right away.. Takes years to build the visitor base (as you well know).... no point in losing anyone over a difficult move.. Good luck with the new box... from what I know of their offerings, it's gonna be a blazer!

Wayne
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Moving is always a PITA but since this is the 4th time, I'm used to it .

Don't kid yourself - I used to be lost without the gui. The server actually has plesk installed - but my lenux guru feels its best to just modify the config file. He writes & reads code as easy as I do the morning paper. I'm hoping some of this will rub off - it's actually been a good learning experience.

Thanks for the opportunity to post about the move here. It won't be too much longer now (I hope).

Mark K
            Mark K....

Comment

Yeppers.. the code guys hate them "gooey" things The newer ones, (like Plesk and Ensim) do it in a pretty "safe" way by "locking" the individual sites into virtual servers, more so, at least, than did the Cobalt gui...

One good thing about not running the "gooey".... you won't have to leave port 443 open for it...

That is a constant hit for the hackers.. there are some weaknesses in the "open source" secure cert that the GUI's use... on the cobalt, it's 81... on Plesk and Ensim, 443... both CLOSED on this and another box I currently am renting..

Not that this would stop a determined cracker....

<sigh>

crosses fingers and prays to the rising sun!

Good Luck Mark!

Have fun with that command line stuff.. keep a "cheat sheet".. it's a real help! Once yer email is up, feel free to ask me for any help.... as much as I can give as lame as I am at it!

My biggest problem is, not doing it often enough. I had some good teachers, got fairly comfy with it, got busy with airshow season and promptly forgot most of it..

There are a couple of really good guys there at RS if you need further help, lemme know and I'll put you in touch with them.. (private guys that offer management for pretty cheap)

Wayne
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

What in the *hell* are you guys talking about? I just upload stuff and thats it! LOL....

80 Knots.... Thrust and Flaps normal...

Scotty G
                Scotty G

Comment

I'm one of those code geeks and I still prefer the GUI!!!!!!

Having done several moves myself (3 in one year for one site), I can relate. Best of luck on all that stuff

Comment

pylon1.com coming back!

just checked and pylon.com will still give you the default server page... but... http://www.pylon1.com (add the www.) will show that Mark K. is hard at work (zzz early am) getting things back in order.

Tough job migrating to a new server!

Wayne Sagar
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Thanks Wayne, Cindy & guys. It's been long past few days, but at least it's over... back online today (finally). We lost our "new & improved" gallery (old one is still up though), but what the heck - could have been a lot worse so I'll take that as a good learning lesson and get back to plugging away at it. Gotta get the other sites moved now (no rest for the weary ).

All the best,

Mark K
                      Mark K....

Comment

down again?

So is Pylon 1 down again. I keep getting a "no domain registerd, or configured on the server" error.

Comment

Re: down again?

Originally posted by wolfee
                          So is Pylon 1 down again. I keep getting a "no domain registerd, or configured on the server" error.
                          Hummn... It is working for me but our server is located in the same facility and they have been working on their routers and have a notice up at the members bulletin board saying that some of the subnets are having some "issues"....

It *could* be that some people, depending on how they route into the system from the outside, will have more problems than others.

As far as I know, the website is up and running and Mark Kallio is in the process of moving some of the other sites he hosts to the new server.

Wayne Sagar
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                          X