Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build A Better Bearcat?

Help me daydream-

Given the existence of a composite Mustang replica (Grand51?) why wouldn't a composite Bearcat be possible? One with an airfoil/wing built for racing, not landing on a carrier and carrying guns? There are more radial engines available than V-12s. Would composite construction make it possible/easier to pressurize the cockpit, making it safer and adding air conditioning for the pilot?
    I believe the P-47 had telescoping landing gear legs, that were longer when extended, then would shorten when retracted to fit in the wing. You could attach them wherever it was more advantageous.
    I seem to recall that Mike Arnold got the idea for the shape of his super efficient AR-5 after studying the design of US Navy fighters from WWII.
    It might be easier to start from scratch, but since the Bearcat is one of the fastest radial engine racers, why not improve on a winning design?
    These ideas rattle around in my head and keep me awake at night. If I expressed them anywhere else, I'd be afraid of being labeled crazy. Maybe here as well. Oh well, it's just a thought.

Re: Build A Better Bearcat?

We are all crazy. That's why we're here in Wayne's world. Dream on!!!
    Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by ebutner View Post
      That's why we're here in Wayne's world. Dream on!!!
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

While I know next to nothing on design, al i got to say is would it not take away from the mystery of the bearcat???? Something to be said about very few of them going and one of them being "bad ass"

Comment

Here is my ½ size ( 1/8th in cubature...2 x 2 x 2 = 8 ) streamlined F8F-2 based on my 1/12 R/C combat design.

This could be a lot cheaper to manufacture since F8F is a lot shorter than P-51D to start with.

What kinda engine suits this ?

The other is for 4 axial vector engines.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by First time Juke; 02-04-2009, 01:06 AM.
          http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

I found the engine for it now.

Rotec R3800 / 150 hp

About Us Our company employs architects and designers with extensive experience. All our objects from the very beginning of their implementation are under the supervision of the chief architect of the project. Adjustment  of design solutions is carried out by the architect throughout the construction. As a result, the project of the future structure is ... Read more

In a 2/3 scale I-16 Rata:

1.11.2008 ZK-VVV first engine runs.After the usual teething problems the engine runs nicely.

Today I put the cowling on and did the first high speed taxi runs until the tail came up. At that point the battery went flat in the video recorder, so video...

½ size Bearcat is pretty much the same size as 2/3 size Rata:

Flugzeuginfo.net is the comprehensive civil and military aircraft encyclopedia with photogallery, airport-codes, airline-codes, aircraft-codes, country-codes, NATO-codes, aviation museums and much more.

Would 200 000 usd be an OK price for it ?

How many of them would be the market ?

Here R2800 powered Bearcat F8F-2 ( also the 1/12 scale new version ...or 1/6 ? ):
            Attached Files
            Last edited by First time Juke; 02-04-2009, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Here after some finetuning...an excellent field of vision for the pilot !
              Attached Files

Comment

Juke,

I still want you to design a foam wing R4360 powered racer with a monococuue structure fiberglass fuselage, so we can make it aerodynamic by just adding a little more resin here and there! Lets do it cheap, make it so we can dis-mantle it and truck it to the races. Make it light enough so we don't have too pull alot of power and be reliable.

Rich

Comment

Don't go too light... you won't be able to race it.
                  Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                  My Photos
                  My Ride

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
                    Don't go too light... you won't be able to race it.
                    4360...... 96.5 x 55" 3970 lbs

Even a styrofoam Bearcat cannot weight under 30 lbs : )...with fuel there is no change to under 9000 lbs ( roughly ).

Unless a R/C model.

More this kinda liquids and lotsa sleep....

--------

New landing gear to Bearcat and engine with firewall 25-30 in back.

Bearcat was the pinnacle of tractor layout radial pistonplanes...cannot do it any better than that.
                    Last edited by First time Juke; 02-08-2009, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Here are the prices for the F8F-2 engines of ½ size:

I bet a plane could be made under 150 K, if production exceeds 50 or so.
                      Last edited by First time Juke; 02-08-2009, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X